300 Win Mag - Best Mountain Rifle

BAKPAKR

WKR
4cdcbb18de1f1304751c4b06ac9984ae.jpg

So this setup would be a no go in your camp??

Plus, who would even think of hunting big game with a 223? 😀

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
Savage Model 110 hunter and use the money saved on a suppressor. Elk won’t know it’s a $500 gun and it’s more accurate than I am. Silencerco Harvester suppressor will knock the recoil in half and your guide will thank you for not destroying his hearing with a muzzle break.

Guide?

I am my own guide.

Throw these around your neck - they take two seconds to throw on. Why would you not allow someone to hunt with a break? If it makes you a better marksmen and a more ethical hunter - I’m all for it. ‘Tough guy rules’ are stupid.

4c714f17b31a4e83a58536984e5bdbef.jpg

What’s funny is these people will use the idea that they don’t want their hearing damaged as an argument against a brake when firing a rifle without hearing protection damages your hearing anyway - brake or no brake.

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
What’s funny is these people will use the idea that they don’t want their hearing damaged as an argument against a brake when firing a rifle without hearing protection damages your hearing anyway - brake or no brake.

Bingo!

SteveCNJ

WKR
Really like my Weatherby 300 wby mag. Composite stock and very manageable recoil. Loves the Barnes TTSX 180 gr.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider

To each his own. From a hunting perspective a single shot from a rifle w/o a brake is less damaging. Not many people carry some sort of ear protection while hunting and if they do, it’s extra movement and time to put them in your ears. At the range it’s a different story. If you hunt with a buddy, while using a brake, he’s gonna have to use ear plugs or get his ears blown out to while trying to spot for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To each his own. From a hunting perspective a single shot from a rifle w/o a brake is less damaging. Not many people carry some sort of ear protection while hunting and if they do, it’s extra movement and time to put them in your ears. At the range it’s a different story. If you hunt with a buddy, while using a brake, he’s gonna have to use ear plugs or get his ears blown out to while trying to spot for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, a single shot is less damaging - but hearing damage is cumulative. That means the shot you and your buddy took from last years damage is still done... same with the year before, and the year before that.

Point being, hearing is a hell of an important part of hunting life and I can completely understand why you'd want to prevent damage. It is extra movement, and something else to bring, but isn't your hearing worth it? Maybe its just me, but I'd rather miss 100 shots than end up not being able to hear shit when I'm in my 50s.

My 'mountain rifle' is a Sako A7 in .300WM, wearing a Swarovski 3-10x42. The bloke I bought it off killed many dozens of fallow and sambar deer with it in southern Australia and I bought it off him to use on sambar deer mainly, but I moved away from that area so have used it on mainly fallow deer and pigs. It's got a limbsaver on it which tames the recoil to a reasonably comfortable level.

I was shooting 150gn Hornady Interlocks out of it early this year as I got them given to me. They were very explosive and effective, but I prefer to run something a little heavier so now I'm using 180gn Woodleigh PPSN projectiles. They're made in Australia and very tough. I've only shot one deer with this laod so far but I've shot many animals with the same brand bullets in other rifles of mine.

The Sako A7 is definitely worth a look!

I’m a Rem based action fan, but bought a Win 70 XW-SS this month. Man am I impressed with that thing. Finish, accurate, smoothest controled feed action I’ve seen. B&C stock, fluted, not ultra light 6 lbs, but under 7.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.
I would like to second this. After getting a promotion at work I splurged on a Win. Model 70 EWSS (used) from the forums here. It is beyond fantastic. incredibly accurate, super smooth action, and felt recoil is certainly less than I would’ve expected for such a “light“ rifle. Had an shot opportunity on a big sow feral pig, and felt recoil was like a .22lr with the sight set on an animal compared the ~40 rounds I sent sighting in and practicing with it before that hunt