300 Win Mag - Best Mountain Rifle

TheViking

WKR
What’s the ‘best’ 300 Win Mag out there out of the box? $1200ish budget for rifle, already have optic.

Hunting elk, bear in the mountains. Looking for something decently light, nothing crazy. Sub MOA out of the box. Threaded barrel/muzzle break a plus.

Christensen Arms Mesa?
Kimber Mountain Ascent?
Tikka T3X Lite?

Other options? Thoughts?

May want to find one with a muzzle break or have the barrel threaded for a break. Light weight 300 mags can be a hand full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I'd buy a used model 70 stainless classic and put it in an MCM edge stock of your liking. If you don't like then tikka.

This is a practical idea. I’ve got two SS m70 classics , a 5 digit 270 and a 6 digit 338. Both are bedded in HS stocks and are tack drivers. The 338 is a Friday afternoon rifle and is ugly as hell, but that sombitch shoots 225 TTSXs lights out.

EastMT

WKR
I’m a Rem based action fan, but bought a Win 70 XW-SS this month. Man am I impressed with that thing. Finish, accurate, smoothest controled feed action I’ve seen. B&C stock, fluted, not ultra light 6 lbs, but under 7.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

fraz01

FNG
Looked at the Howa HS Percision the other day. I like my model 70's, but the Howa looks like a nice gun for the money. Think it is around 8 lb's.

SDHNTR

WKR
Model 70 for the win! I shot my M70 7 mag today and shot a 10 shot group that was one hole you could cover with a nickel. I’d buy an Extreme Weather version and not look back.

A Browning Hells Canyon would be my second choice. But I do prefer CRF.

I don’t trust the new fangled Christensen Arms and Fierce stuff. Too new for my tastes and enough bad reviews out there to make me question them both.

The Tikkas shoot great but are too light for a .300 wm, imo. Their fit and finish also leaves a lot to be desired and at your budget, you can do better.

I wouldn’t even consider a recent Remington. Private Equity owned company. All you need to know.

Ruger Hawkeye might be a contender. Well made and good, although usually not great, accuracy out of the box.

Perhaps a Sako A7 might be worth a look. They generally shoot great right out of the box. Or save a few more Benji’s for the M85.
Kimbers are an expensive gamble. I played it and lost. Multiple trips back to the factory for a half ass resolution and barely acceptable accuracy.

keep an eye on the classifieds here and at 24hrCampfire. I sometimes see remarkable deals on custom guns that people sell for pennies on the dollar.

Wasn’t there a Borden built .300 wm here recently?

You have some budget to do this right. Continue your research and don’t settle. You’ll find what you want.

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
Model 70 for the win! I shot my M70 7 mag today and shot a 10 shot group that was one hole you could cover with a nickel. I’d buy an Extreme Weather version and not look back.

A Browning Hells Canyon would be my second choice. But I do prefer CRF.

I don’t trust the new fangled Christensen Arms and Fierce stuff. Too new for my tastes and enough bad reviews out there to make me question them both.

The Tikkas shoot great but are too light for a .300 wm, imo. Their fit and finish also leaves a lot to be desired and at your budget, you can do better.

I wouldn’t even consider a recent Remington. Private Equity owned company. All you need to know.

Ruger Hawkeye might be a contender. Well made and good, although usually not great, accuracy out of the box.

Perhaps a Sako A7 might be worth a look. They generally shoot great right out of the box. Or save a few more Benji’s for the M85.
Kimbers are an expensive gamble. I played it and lost. Multiple trips back to the factory for a half ass resolution and barely acceptable accuracy.

keep an eye on the classifieds here and at 24hrCampfire. I sometimes see remarkable deals on custom guns that people sell for pennies on the dollar.

Wasn’t there a Borden built .300 wm here recently?

You have some budget to do this right. Continue your research and don’t settle. You’ll find what you want.

Good input, thank you. You’re definitely right - I have the budget to have a sweet setup, I don’t want to jump into something without being 100% sure.

Never owned a Winchester rifle - nothing against them. I have a savage that shoots lights out for a $500 rifle. Touching hole clover leafs at 200 yards, can’t ask for much more than that.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Are you set on .300 win Mag? I always mention to people that other calibers offer much better ballistics, more energy down field, and less wind drift.

As an example. A 162 grain 28 Nosler has more energy than a 200 grain .300 Win Mag has. Shoots flatter, hits harder, less recoil, less wind drift. Something to consider in your lightweight backcountry rig.

LightFoot

WKR
What’s the ‘best’ 300 Win Mag out there out of the box? $1200ish budget for rifle, already have optic.

Hunting elk, bear in the mountains. Looking for something decently light, nothing crazy. Sub MOA out of the box. Threaded barrel/muzzle break a plus.

Christensen Arms Mesa?
Kimber Mountain Ascent?
Tikka T3X Lite?

Other options? Thoughts?
All good choices.

For a 300 Win, lightweight rifle, I would run a brake. That's why I like the xbolt speed with the factory brake and cerakote.

>>>----JAKE----->

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
No, I’m not. I had and sold a 325 WSM. Awesome gun and caliber (right between an 300 and a 338), but ammo was a pain to find and very expensive. I do not reload and don’t plan on it anytime soon. I have too many hobbies right now. Ordering a handful of $40-$50 boxes is much easier.

So I was looking for a more common round - and 300 WM is as common and as popular as it gets.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Based on your feedback to some of the replies and your original requirements. I would go with the Christensen Mesa.

The factory muzzle brake for the .300 win mag and their adjustable trigger tech trigger will be a great set up for you.

Sako/Tikka and Christensen are really tough to beat right now in my opinion. Looking at accuracy out of the box, features, and price point... I’d buy the Mesa.

It bears pointing out that consistent, true sub MOA out of the box basically doesn't exist at the $1200 price point, especially not with factory loads.

The rifles already recommended are great options at your price point!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Lots of great options available, however, I am partial to my T3X in 300 Win Mag topped with VX-6HD (3-18x50). She's light (~8 pounds loaded), felt recoil is not bad at all, dead nuts accurate to at least 1000 yards, and has been lethal on all animals targeted ranging from jack rabbits to interior grizzly.

OP
TheViking

TheViking

WKR
It bears pointing out that consistent, true sub MOA out of the box basically doesn't exist at the $1200 price point, especially not with factory loads.

The rifles already recommended are great options at your price point!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

My $500 savage is sub moa with factory rounds. I expect that out of a $1200 rifle too.