300 win mag ammo for moose

JeffNC

FNG
I am new to this forum. Looks great so far.

I am planning a Newfoundland moose hunt with an x-bolt 300 win mag next year.
I’m leaning toward using a Federal Premium Terminal Ascent 200g but I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Your choice should work well.. A few others to consider might be Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, Trophy bonded bearclaws, Swift "A" Frames, and many others.. Actually most any 180+ gr bullet that is bonded or mono construction should work fine as far as tissue damage. You probably won't be shooting extreme ranges in Newfoundland so most well constructed bullets should give adequate penetration and expansion.. I'd recommend that you acquire some of those I've listed and shoot them.. You're rifle will probably tell you which one it likes best... You didn't say whether you're shooting factory only or reloading? Reloading would give you more options/choices.. Good luck with your choice and good hunting..

OP
J

JeffNC

FNG
Your choice should work well.. A few others to consider might be Barnes TTSX, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition, Trophy bonded bearclaws, Swift "A" Frames, and many others.. Actually most any 180+ gr bullet that is bonded or mono construction should work fine as far as tissue damage. You probably won't be shooting extreme ranges in Newfoundland so most well constructed bullets should give adequate penetration and expansion.. I'd recommend that you acquire some of those I've listed and shoot them.. You're rifle will probably tell you which one it likes best... You didn't say whether you're shooting factory only or reloading? Reloading would give you more options/choices.. Good luck with your choice and good hunting..
Thanks. I’ll definitely try the 180’s on your list as well. Bonded or mono construction makes a lot of sense. I don’t reload at this point so I’ll be looking at only factory ammo for this hunt.

MThuntr

WKR
A buddy has been shooting that for a couple years in a Browning A-bolt. It is a spicy load and will definitely make short work of a moose.

tntrker

WKR
I am new to this forum. Looks great so far.

I am planning a Newfoundland moose hunt with an x-bolt 300 win mag next year.
I’m leaning toward using a Federal Premium Terminal Ascent 200g but I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
My 300wm LOVES that ammo. Dropped my moose with them..

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider
My brother shot his with the 180 grain barnes…70yds quartering to a bit. Dropped dead in his tracks. Barnes ammo is hard to beat from all my experiences.

OP
J

JeffNC

FNG
My brother shot his with the 180 grain barnes…70yds quartering to a bit. Dropped dead in his tracks. Barnes ammo is hard to beat from all my experiences.
I’m definitely going to look at that one. I talked to another guy last night who only uses the barnes ttsx in his 338 win mag.

Hard to beat the accuracy and dependability of the Barnes TTSX at any reasonable hunting range.. As long as the impact velocity is 1600-1800fps or greater the Barnes and most other premium bullets preform great.. I've had great success with the TTSX on Elk. If the animal has large bones or thick hide/muscles it is hard to beat the Barnes for penetration... I've had very few animals shot where the bullet didn't get 100% passthrough with perfect expansion and great wound channel.

OP
J

JeffNC

FNG
Barnes 180 ttsx has been good to me
Thanks
Hard to beat the accuracy and dependability of the Barnes TTSX at any reasonable hunting range.. As long as the impact velocity is 1600-1800fps or greater the Barnes and most other premium bullets preform great.. I've had great success with the TTSX on Elk. If the animal has large bones or thick hide/muscles it is hard to beat the Barnes for penetration... I've had very few animals shot where the bullet didn't get 100% passthrough with perfect expansion and great wound channel.

OP
J

JeffNC

FNG
Thanks. That seems to be a very good round for big game. Plus it is currently available in 30wm, which is not the case for a lot of ammo.

Any quality 180-200 grain bullet that your rifle likes. I've seen too many penciling examples to recommend Barnes personally, including one on a moose last season - but I know they've worked very successfully for a lot of people over the years. I'd go partitions if your gun likes them, otherwise about any quality bonded bullet that shoots well for you. Good luck!

OP
J

JeffNC

FNG
Any quality 180-200 grain bullet that your rifle likes. I've seen too many penciling examples to recommend Barnes personally, including one on a moose last season - but I know they've worked very successfully for a lot of people over the years. I'd go partitions if your gun likes them, otherwise about any quality bonded bullet that shoots well for you. Good luck!
Thanks

S-3 ranch

WKR
I went to the Yukon using 180gr fedral power shok , so imo any thing but a ELDX would work, those terminals are a 100% on big game

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider

What does “pencilling examples” mean? The bullet not expanding?

What does “pencilling examples” mean? The bullet not expanding?
Yes. Nil expansion at 40 yards. Bullet lodged in hide on the far side. Is was a 280 IA not a 300wm. Fwiw it was a tsx. Have witnessed other issues of non-expansion. But like I said, I know plenty of folks have had great luck. I just think statistically a mono isn't quite as reliable on big game as a quality lead bullet.