300 PRC vs 300 WM?

Rich.

FNG
I'm going to purchase a new big game rifle in the next week, plan is to use it on everything from moose to mule deer. I had originally planned to get it in 300WM but just came across the 300 PRC. Any opinions on which would be best suited for what I'm looking for?

Can you find ammo for 300 PRC? Either will kill any animal on this planet. I've killed 3 elk with my .300WM and have been able to find and purchase ammo without too much difficulty. If you are a reloader and have components then perhaps this isn't an issue.

If you reload and we weren’t in this current slump of component availability, I would opt for the prc. If you don’t reload, the win mag is your go to. Very few options of factory loads for the prc vs win mag, but I’m not sure it matter in todays times. I reload, and I still went win mag. Got lucky and found components but it cost me to get started

Are you planning a custom build (longer throat 300 wm) or purchasing factory rifles?

If factory, I'd lean towards the 300 prc. If you're building a custom rifle and planning to reload, get the 300wm throated for long heavy bullets and they will be essentially the same rifle. Good Luck!

If you are a reloader I think the 300 PRC is probably the better route of the two. If you don't reload then I would say 300 WM for sure. Both are great. Ballistically they are similar. Both have enough HP for anything in North America.

Buy ammo (or components) first, then buy ammo.

I have a 300 Win but I would be just as happy or more happy with the 300 PRC.

The advantage of the PRC is that it was designed for heavy bullets to shoot long range.

There are very limited 300 PRC factory options.

The 300 Win can be found in factory loads from 150 to 200+. A 180 Accubond, TTSX, or Partition will take everything from pronghorn to moose.

I just had Chad at Custom Reloads of Dallas load 150 rounds of 300 Win 200 ELD-X seated to fit a factory Tikka magazine. This is a 4 shot group at 100 yards off a Spartan Lite Bipod and rear bag.

Again... find ammo, then buy rifle.

Can't go wrong with either. Good luck.
d8ef6b1a3d792b03acdd3d4968da64f1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

They are about as identical as you can get. You will struggle to find ammo and components for either. It's the wrong time to be buy most rifles.....especially the big one. You will not find brass or H1000 for either.

I'm going to purchase a new big game rifle in the next week, plan is to use it on everything from moose to mule deer. I had originally planned to get it in 300WM but just came across the 300 PRC. Any opinions on which would be best suited for what I'm looking for?
300 prc without a doubt, I would never get another belted mag even if it meant scrounging up ammo for a year..
If you're worried about components
Look into the 30 Nosler as well.
It's the best case design of them all (especially if you handload), and ammo / high quality brass is available everywhere right now

Reactions: B23
I see the Honady 225gr ELD-M 300 PRC ammo pretty regularly and that stuff is supposed to shoot pretty well for factory ammo.

I was working on the same thing until I went to a class at Fierce. It all practicality for me the 300 WM would have been just fine but I decided why not add all the extra help I can get so I opted for the 300PRC. If I had a 300 WM and it worked well I would just stick with it though.

They are about as identical as you can get. You will struggle to find ammo and components for either. It's the wrong time to be buy most rifles.....especially the big one. You will not find brass or H1000 for either.
Easy to find .300WM online and in my local stores. Haven't seen .300PRC in a store for almost 2 years. On Ammoseek.com there are 62 listings for .300WM starting at $1.75 per round and only 2 for .300PRC starting at $6.80 a round. Primers and powder are available online at least twice a month but I haven't seen brass for .300PRC this year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 2.08.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 2.08.13 PM.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 2.07.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 2.07.28 PM.png
    259.6 KB · Views: 38
You can find .300 win mag ammunition all over the world. I like all guns, but I’m a hunter and not a wannabe sniper so the long range possibilities of the PRC are useless over what the win mag has to offer for me.

I have been using a 300 WM for hunting and LR for about 6 years now. It is certainly a great round. Given that I handload, either work for me. That said, when my 300 needs a new barrel, it will be rebarreled to a 300 PRC. The PRC is designed specifically for LR shooting, has a slight capacity advantage, doesnt have a belt, and most importantly, it has an appropriate length neck. The weakness of the 300 WM has always been a short neck.

I was in the same position recently. I went for the .300 win because I don’t reload and I have to buy ammo on the secondary market. Right now I on gun broker there are 240 adds for .300 win and only 15 for 300 PRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back