300 PRC Overkill?

TN731

FNG
Hey guys, just curious if anyone is using the 300prc for deer or elk? I can see it being overkill for deer, but how about elk? And do you guys think it’s over kill for deer as well? I’m looking at making a new purchase and wanted your thoughts. At the end of the day, I want as much undamaged meat as possible. I have been a .270 win guy my entire life. Thanks

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A 300 PRC is definitely not overkill for deer or elk! Bullet selection is key for meat damage. We are huge fans of the 215 Berger Hybrid in the large 30 cals! It hits animals extremely hard. As long as you shoot everything behind the shoulder, meat damage should be minimal. There are tons of different style 30 cal bullets in the 210-230 grain range to choose from. Typically, bonded bullets and solid copper bullets will result in the least amount of meat damage. If you think that 210-230 grain bullet range is going to be 'overkill' for hunting style, you might want to look at a 28 Nosler, 7mm SAUM, or 7mm Rem Mag and shoot 170-195 grain bullets.

Wapiti1

WKR
If you are worried about meat damage shoot a Barnes LRX, Hammer, or CEB. Don't hit the shoulder bones.

No, I don't think any .300 is overkill for deer or elk. One of the .300's is probably the most versatile of the options you can shoot. I don't really see the PRC as any different than the Win Mag, RUM, or Weatherby.

Jeremy

OP
TN731

TN731

FNG
Thanks guys, that’s what I was expecting. 15-30 grains shouldn’t make a huge difference. Are y’all running custom loads, or store bought ammo? I’d rather buy store bought ammo, just for the up front cost.

mabrams

FNG
Berger 215 over the counter are the pills you want. While I’m shooting a 300wm they are flat out killers and tack drivers.

TauPhi111

WKR
Overkill is subjective. What is it exactly? I'd bet no one can really define it. But I'd look at it like this...a 308 or 30-06 will kill deer just as dead as a 300 PRC will in 99% of situations a hunter will ever encounter. The 300 PRC was designed for doing one thing very well, and that is shooting very long, very heavy-for-caliber high BC bullets out to very long range (which is why you see most 300 PRCs with very fast twist rates). If you are long range hunting any kind of animals, then the 300 PRC is right up your alley. If you don't do that and just want it because it is cool, well then maybe reevaluate your firearm choice. Any other 30 cal from 308 and up will kill deer and elk very very dead out to 500 yards or more. The bigger you go, the faster and flatter your trajectory, but I feel you reach a point of diminishing returns somewhere just north of 300 Win Mag. After that, yes ballistics and energy are better and higher, but the end result remains the same.

As for the meat damage thing, you will get more meat damage as you get a higher energy cartridge, but as has been said, sticking with a mono bullet will mitigate that somewhat

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
So meat damage with a .300 PRC running the factory loaded 212gr ELD-X is very consistent from 60 to 600 yards. I shot my caribou on 8-31 with it running about 2970fps (used trajectory validation with the StrelokPro app to get this number) at 600 yards and I shot my moose on 9-5 with the same gun and bullet at 60 yards. On the Caribou it was a first sized entry and exit wound (No case separation), with the moose it was a fist size entry wound and a .30 cal exit wound (case separation, I’m guessing I’ll find it on the Opposite side front quarter When we process it tomorrow).

I think that proper placement through the ribs and into the boiler room with avoiding hitting either front shoulder would make that round good for any thin skinned game like caribou or deer. Basically the same considerations you always take when avoiding meat damage and you’re good. I have mine in the MPR platform and running all over the mountains for the last 10 days chasing critters was great. Offhand shooting was really nice too.

coletonf

FNG
you might want to look at a 28 Nosler, 7mm SAUM, or 7mm Rem Mag and shoot 170-195 grain bullets.
Older thread, but curious how people feel about 7mm prc vs 300prc for 500-800yard shots specifically on elk. As @TauPhi111 said, 99% of shots will be inside 500 yards, but I’m thinking about a long term elk gun I can use for decades to come and want to have confidence as distances stretch. So the decision is between 300prc & 7mm prc, with the former potentially winning out at those further distances.

rootacres

WKR
Overkill? Idk about that. You run the risk of considerable meat damage with any of the magnums. The right projectile and shot placement will negate a lot of that. I think what the 300 PRC does well is it is a forgiving platform to have a load that bucks the wind well and delivers solid payload. I have a 7 SAUM that is a pleasure to shoot and has been my rifle of choice for the lower 48. That said I have a 300 PRC being built right now so we will see.

On a different note, just my two cents on the other part of the topic. Meat loss, why be concerned with possibly damaging some shoulder meat? Shoulder shots have high recover percentages and anchor the animal. . For me, I have decided that possibly sacrificing 5-10 lbs of the worst cut of meat is a small price to pay for what is pretty much a guaranteed recovery.

Save the shoulder, lower recovery percentage vs loose the shoulder, higher recovery percentage.

Just my thoughts. . 300 PRC is a good option

Seeknelk

WKR
Shot my antelope this year at 380 yards. Purposely held a bit back of the leg crease. Bang- flop kick, kick dead. Lost no meat. If I shot the shoulders the front half would have been coyote food. Cow elk at 500, same shot placement , she went about 40 yards and tipped over. Zero meat loss. Daughters buck at 200, she hit it thru both shoulders, instantly down of course, but one complete shoulder was trashed along with a chunk of back strap. Bear thru ribs, down instantly, no meat loss. Bighorn sheep, 500 yards, thru ribs, stumbled about 100 yards downhill, no meat loss. Mule deer at 315, thru heart, only meat loss the heart😭, went about 40 yards.

All 215 berger at 2950 from PRC.
Thing is a 6cm with 108 eldm would have done all the same work🤣.

Since my previous post I have shot whitetail at 125,150 and roughly 9 yards with a 215 @ 2820 from a prc.

None have had much of an issue. On the 9 yarder I clipped the back of the shoulder and that part needed to be cut out but it wasn’t really blood shot just torn from impact. Easily trimmed.

On the 150 yarder it was a big buck quarter almost totally away, I hit a rib and the bullet grenaded going in, it was the only non exit but it turned the boulder room to absolute soup. Tore up some extra hide on the entry I assume because the expansion happpened so close to the skin due to the angle and hitting a rib, instead of 2-3 solid inches into the cavity. On this one I did find a lead shard in the very front of the loin during clean up. No bloodshot just an incision I followed to a piece.

the 125 yard doe looked like she was struck by lightning, the 9 yard buck did a death wheelie for about 4 steps and piled up, and the 150 yard buck hit the ground spun 90 degrees and was dead.