300 prc hunting loads

Hausser

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Good evening all,

I currently own a 300 prc and not a fan of any polymer tip ammo so I am looking for a good bullet to reload for my 300 prc. I hunt mule deer and elk mainly. I have had bad experiences with Nosler accubond long range ammo on mule deer and afraid eld x will do the same. I have never shot an animal with eld x but have heard some stories from people I know and trust.

I shot a mule deer with my 7mm rem mag at 248 yards and hit it in the leg just above the elbow and it blood shot the whole shoulder. After removing all the blood shot no damage was done to the shoulder blade.

I want a good bullet that holds together and will not explode if it hits a bone like rib cages or a leg.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Barnes 212gr or 208gr LRX if you have the twist for it. 175, 190, or 200gr LRX if you don't, even 180 or 168 TTSX would be great.

OP
Hausser

Hausser

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Barnes 212gr or 208gr LRX if you have the twist for it. 175, 190, or 200gr LRX if you don't, even 180 or 168 TTSX would be great.
Barnes are a polymer tip, how do they hold up.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
They mushroom a bit and about 98% retention. Shot a caribou with a 168 TTSX. Boiler room shot, 215yds complete pass through. Small entry and exit but massive lung damage. Dropped where it stood. Seems popular in AK, Barnes or Partition or A frame.

Northpark

WKR
Sounds like you want a mono bullet. Lots of options from Barnes, Hornady, Cutting Edge, Hammer, Badlands.

Personally I’ve been using hammers for several years now but wouldn’t hesitate to try any of the others.

Berger hybrids and elite hunters are top notch. Lots of kill reports and loads for them. Really want to try the 245g EOL if I can find some in stock some day/month/year at this point….

Marble

WKR
Good evening all,

I currently own a 300 prc and not a fan of any polymer tip ammo so I am looking for a good bullet to reload for my 300 prc. I hunt mule deer and elk mainly. I have had bad experiences with Nosler accubond long range ammo on mule deer and afraid eld x will do the same. I have never shot an animal with eld x but have heard some stories from people I know and trust.

I shot a mule deer with my 7mm rem mag at 248 yards and hit it in the leg just above the elbow and it blood shot the whole shoulder. After removing all the blood shot no damage was done to the shoulder blade.

I want a good bullet that holds together and will not explode if it hits a bone like rib cages or a leg.
Anytime one of the leg bones is hit there is potential to lose nearly the entire limb from bloodshot. Regardless of the cartridge used. Sometime's it isn't so bad, but normally it is.

I would encourage you to look at regular accubond bullets instead of the long range version. The majority of our elk and deer for the last 20 plus years have been taken with that bullet. We've used it in 7mm and. 308 calibers in magnum cartridges.

I've had reported mixed results, seen them firsthand and read here about people's disappointment with the LRAB.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
If the requirements are “hold together” and no polymer tip, you really limit yourself to something like the following (which are great choices but not sub-optimal in the BC category, especially for a PRC):

Barnes TSX
Swift A-Frame

You are very limited by the self-imposed polymer tip ban.

For your purposes, the Hornady Outfitter CX load would be good if your gun likes it and you can live with the polymer tip.

Note that the Hammer bullet may be a good choice but it was designed to shed petals, as opposed to high weight retention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Hausser

Hausser

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I guess I do not keep up with times like everyone else. I do not shoot typically long range, in fact 248 is the longest I have shot a mule deer or any large game. I normally do not shoot animals in the leg but when it’s running full speed quartering to me sometimes bad shots happen. I have always used corelokt with great results. Some may laugh but I have seen elk, deer, ak moose and caribou taken with corelokt and hardly any blood shot damage. I have seen caribou shot in leg or shoulder with a baseball size blood shot area. I have switched back to 175 corelokt for my 7mm rem mag. My 300 prc well that is a different story since Remington does not make ammo for 300 prc and I doubt they will ever. I will end up trying some Berger and have wait until next year to see how the preform.

LightFoot

WKR
I guess I do not keep up with times like everyone else. I do not shoot typically long range, in fact 248 is the longest I have shot a mule deer or any large game. I normally do not shoot animals in the leg but when it’s running full speed quartering to me sometimes bad shots happen. I have always used corelokt with great results. Some may laugh but I have seen elk, deer, ak moose and caribou taken with corelokt and hardly any blood shot damage. I have seen caribou shot in leg or shoulder with a baseball size blood shot area. I have switched back to 175 corelokt for my 7mm rem mag. My 300 prc well that is a different story since Remington does not make ammo for 300 prc and I doubt they will ever. I will end up trying some Berger and have wait until next year to see how the preform.

The corelokt is a great bullet. Since you don’t shoot long range, it is surprising that you chose the 300 PRC over the 300 Win.

Seems like the 300 Win would have been (would be) a better fit for what you’re looking for. Bonus is that ammo is available in everything from corelokt to VLD.

OP
Hausser

Hausser

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I bought a 6.5 prc to get into little more long range hunting but I lost the 6.5 prc to my wife. She is disabled and so the 6.5 prc will work good for her. Since we have the 6.5 prc I went ahead and bought the 300 prc and will be picking up a 7mm prc. I collect firearms as well. I am going to try the long range thing out. I have no hesitation taking elk or deer at 500 yards with corelokt, just never needed to.

LightFoot

WKR
I bought a 6.5 prc to get into little more long range hunting but I lost the 6.5 prc to my wife. She is disabled and so the 6.5 prc will work good for her. Since we have the 6.5 prc I went ahead and bought the 300 prc and will be picking up a 7mm prc. I collect firearms as well. I am going to try the long range thing out. I have no hesitation taking elk or deer at 500 yards with corelokt, just never needed to.

The 3x PRCs are the nearly perfect solutions for everything North America. I wish I had on of each.

Before you use the corelokt at 500 yards, you might want to look at the impact velocity at that range. I can’t speak to the minimum velocity for that bullet but I would want to know that before using it at long range.

Team4LongGun

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot Hammers out of my 300 PRC and every other precision rifle I reload for. They are stupid accurate and kill with the best of them.

TheHammer

WKR
I’m a huge fan of the lrx bullets. Which is what it sounds like you are wanting. They are forgiving to the shot angle and very lethal. In my experiences I’ve seen eldx fail, I bought into the vld hype and had a bad experience with a 185 out of my 300wm on a b&c white tail. Where if I was using one of my 308s with the 168ttsx/lrx on the same shot, the outcome would’ve been much different. I have since worked with unknown munitions on a load for that 300. Utilizing an lrx. Hope you find what you are after. As we all have opinions… the saying goes, “I’ve heard a lot of opinions and I’ve never heard a wrong one”.

Ridge86

WKR
I shot a bull with a Berger 208 at 200 yards with my 300 prc, it looked like someone jerked the rug out from under him he tipped over so fast. High shoulder shot, very little blood shot or meat damage.

OP
Hausser

Hausser

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I shot a bull with a Berger 208 at 200 yards with my 300 prc, it looked like someone jerked the rug out from under him he tipped over so fast. High shoulder shot, very little blood shot or meat damage.
Great to know, I will have to pick some up.

Thanks

Flyjunky

WKR
What is long range to you? Are you planning on shooting long range (steel/paper) and hunting with the same bullet? If so, imo, that knocks out most bullets above except for the Berger 215 and 212 Eldx. The monos mentioned just don’t t have a good enough bc for me to consider at long range.

I can tell you this, there is probably not a more proven long range killer (does well closer) bullet than the 215 Berger.

Last edited:

Flyjunky

WKR
Berger hybrids and elite hunters are top notch. Lots of kill reports and loads for them. Really want to try the 245g EOL if I can find some in stock some day/month/year at this point….
The prc doesn’t have enough horsepower to push the 245’s to outpace the 215’s. Depending on your powder/brass you might be able to get the 230’s close but with how much easier the 215’s are to obtain, it’s an almost perfect match for the smaller 30’s.

If I wanted to really get the most from a 245 I’d go 300NMI, terminator, etc.