300 AAC BLK Subsonic

T3ninja

FNG
I’ve made several one shot kills from 30-130, as a matter of fact I’ve never needed a follow up shot. As far as these 2 bucks if I remember correctly these were 35-40 yards and the other was roughly 80 or so. It seems like as long as the animal isn’t completely on edge before the shot, they don’t seem to realize they’re dead on their feet and “slowly” run away. I think I’ve only had maybe 2 deer that I didn’t get a complete pass though with and one for certain was hard quartering toward me and I found bullet just under offside hide a long ways back. When I get home I’ll see if I can find the slug from it.
How far were the shots on these?

RWA13

FNG
I’ve made several one shot kills from 30-130, as a matter of fact I’ve never needed a follow up shot. As far as these 2 bucks if I remember correctly these were 35-40 yards and the other was roughly 80 or so. It seems like as long as the animal isn’t completely on edge before the shot, they don’t seem to realize they’re dead on their feet and “slowly” run away. I think I’ve only had maybe 2 deer that I didn’t get a complete pass though with and one for certain was hard quartering toward me and I found bullet just under offside hide a long ways back. When I get home I’ll see if I can find the slug from it.

Do you notice any difference from .308 to 300BLK?

KHNC

WKR
Double lunged a nice 8pt at 27 yds in SC this past season. 300BLK with 190gr Sub-X. Blood trail was nonexistent shit. And the round jammed on the feed. Now that doesnt usually occur with my TacSol 300 , but it has started to happen more often now. I assumed it needed some CLP and a good clean as it hasnt happened since. Luckily i found that buck over 200 yds away. Nearly didnt recover.

T3ninja

FNG
I can’t say that I’ve noticed a difference. Realistically the only thing different between my 2 setups is essentially twist rate. 1-7 vs 1-10.

I was pleasantly surprised that the 1-10 howa stabilized the 190’s, I expected to have to use the 175(?) sub x. But at that point I had planned to rebarrel with a 16” 1/7 proof barrel, then I could take advantage of the heavier cutting edge sub offerings.
Do you notice any difference from .308 to 300BLK,

doty_soty

FNG
I’d really rather just use a super. You’re generally trading a few dB for a good amount of terminal performance.

T3ninja

FNG
I’d really rather just use a super. You’re generally trading a few dB for a good amount of terminal performance.
The load I’m using is pellet gun quiet. So significantly less sound. I don’t disagree with the loss of terminal performance, but inside of 100 yards it’s pretty easy to place the bullet exactly where it needs to be.

I generally use supers, but I have one property thats only 30 acres, has businesses on one side and a bunch of houses on the other. I’ve had wardens called on me because people saw me walking in. I can only image the calls they be receiving after hearing gunshots…… yuppies🙄

Titan_Bow

WKR
The load I’m using is pellet gun quiet. So significantly less sound. I don’t disagree with the loss of terminal performance, but inside of 100 yards it’s pretty easy to place the bullet exactly where it needs to be.

I generally use supers, but I have one property thats only 30 acres, has businesses on one side and a bunch of houses on the other. I’ve had wardens called on me because people saw me walking in. I can only image the calls they be receiving after hearing gunshots…… yuppies🙄

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or argumentative or anything, I'm genuinely just curious, but wouldn't a crossbow with a 2" mechanical be a better option in a scenario like that? I like to hunt with ARs, and between my son and I, we've killed quite a few deer and antelope with 6.8SPC and one now 6mm ARC. Those little rounds are putting 1400-1500 ft/lbs. of energy on target at 100 yards though. From what I am seeing, sub 300 Blackouts are 400-500 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards. Just seems like that would really just result in punching a hole though. Again, seems like a crossbow with a big cutting diameter broadhead would be a more efficient killing method if sound was your determining factor?

Anyways, I'm not trying to dis or put down what you guys are doing, I just have ZERO experience with subsonic ammo or the 300 Blackout in general, so I'm really just curious.

T3ninja

FNG
I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or argumentative or anything, I'm genuinely just curious, but wouldn't a crossbow with a 2" mechanical be a better option in a scenario like that? I like to hunt with ARs, and between my son and I, we've killed quite a few deer and antelope with 6.8SPC and one now 6mm ARC. Those little rounds are putting 1400-1500 ft/lbs. of energy on target at 100 yards though. From what I am seeing, sub 300 Blackouts are 400-500 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards. Just seems like that would really just result in punching a hole though. Again, seems like a crossbow with a big cutting diameter broadhead would be a more efficient killing method if sound was your determining factor?

Anyways, I'm not trying to dis or put down what you guys are doing, I just have ZERO experience with subsonic ammo or the 300 Blackout in general, so I'm really just curious.

My thoughts are the killing mechanism of subsonic has nothing really to do with ft. Lbs of energy. As a matter of fact I rarely concern myself with it.

Yes I would guess a 2” broad head would be as effective, probably more in delivering a quick death, but by how much? Realistically even if the bullet didn’t expand and just tumbled through it will be nearly a 1.5” path of destruction wider than a blade. My reason for not using the crossbow, which I own and have used, is because:

1. I hate them. I have one, a rather decent one, but I’ve never made a kill on a deer that I was happy with. I actually shot a super nice buck on this same property I was talking about during archery season. I have no idea where I hit the buck, but I do know where I was aiming. Blood was fantastic for about 80 yards then dwindled down to pin drops for about another 50-60 yards then nothing. I never found the deer. I’ve wounded and lost more deer in the last 3 years with the crossbow than I have in the last 25 years I’ve hunted. That total is 4. That includes about 15 years of only archery hunting with vertical bow. I had shoulder surgery this year, otherwise I wouldn’t have had the crossbow and lost the buck.

2. Practice. It’s super convenient and I’m blessed to be able to shoot out my back door, or off my heated back porch. I have steel targets scattered about. Grab the rifle, shoot 10-20 rounds whenever I want and never even have to put on pants😃. To shoot the archery gear, it’s a whole big process. Drag the targets out, walk back and forth pulling arrows, put target away. I’m 100% confident on putting a round into a 4” target out to 200 yards with ease, out of the sub rifle. Whereas I would be limited to about a 40 yard shot with a bow. The deer won’t jump the string with a sub rifle round though.

3. Broadheads and arrows/bolts are stupid expensive. A decent arrow setup is around $30-40 a piece and that’s just plain dumb.

I didn’t take your comment as a smart ass or an argument, nor am I picking a fight.