$300-$400 backcountry pack?

WV Dan

FNG
I have not seen them in person but the ILBE pack system used by the US military (Marine corps I belive) can be had for a couple hundred bucks. I have seen them recently on ebay and a couple on line surplus sites. They look very rugged and fairly heavy but well within your price range....2 cents

ams

WKR
Check out craigslist and ebay for a good used dana designs terraframe, terraplane, or astroplane backpack with a large harness and large or medium belt might work. There's also the kelty eagle which could work.

Check out craigslist and ebay for a good used dana designs terraframe, terraplane, or astroplane backpack with a large harness and large or medium belt might work. There's also the kelty eagle which could work.

This was what I was going to recommend. I have seen several older Dana archflex terreplane's for sale on e-bay and I know from experience that those would fit him well. Just make sure they have a large yoke and the belt size depends on his waist.

ams

WKR
I bought an ilbe to mess around with for this very reason and gave it to a shorter friend. It would haul heavy weight but no load lifters. Stays are nice 7075 aluminum but only 21 1/2 inches. One of the complaints the taller marines had was not enough torso length. It will fit 3/8 inch thick stays but you would have to mod it at the top for longer stays. For shorter guys it's a great buy and the radio pouch can be used as a lower bucket on the outside for a bow or rifle.

ams

WKR
Lol, thanks for the bump but that one has a regular size harness and probably wouldn't fit a guy that tall. Kind of overkill with light loads as its a true external frame but with heavy loads they really kickbutt. I have had a few and I'm keeping my large terraframe. Don't know if the kuiu will fit but I can see if a highcamp bag will.

Last edited:

kaboku68

WKR
Used Dana Design Terraframe or K2 Dana Design Longbed External. for about $200 on ebay.

He could also run a Kelty Cache Hauler external and then strap on a big 115lt dry bag.

Sportsman'sWarehouse has an Alps Commander external frame pack with 5400Cu bag for about 129.99. This a good place to start before a guy can work into an alpha pack.

sincerely,
Thomas

dotman

WKR
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6439...yall-pack&attrValue_0=Olive&productId=1077114

My friend bought one of these...pretty impressed given the money for sure....seemed every bit as quality as the the Kelty version Thomas mentioned above. But would want to run it through the wringer for sure. Certainly would be part of my budget backpack hunting setup if I had to make one.

That actually might not be a bad idea, looks like you might beable to get a Highcamp bag on it as well. If it sucks your only out one year of pain and $79 :)

OP
HellsCanyon
All great stuff thanks guys! Making a list now but he won't have the $ till the 4th of July time frame. Got a lead on a kifaru EMR that I'm checking out. Looks to be a bit heavy but a solid possibility. Anybody used one?

Mike

luke moffat

Super Moderator
All great stuff thanks guys! Making a list now but he won't have the $ till the 4th of July time frame. Got a lead on a kifaru EMR that I'm checking out. Looks to be a bit heavy but a solid possibility. Anybody used one?

Mike

My brother picked a EMR frame and bag and everything my untrained brain can see it looks like Longhunter Frame/Bag but with some more molle webbing and what not....but not at bad price as he picked it up used for $425 shipped to his door!

S

Salmo-Priest

Mike saw an Wilderness Pack Specialties Pack yesterday. And I kinda liked it. Its the only WPS that ever caught my attention. But, E-bay and a K2 longbed or Terraplane would be sweet.

The WPS pack was their Yukon and has some nice options. I kinda liked what I saw but have and know no one that has any experience with these packs. Add a pelican pack and your right at 6600cbi.. $400 Even had fully functional load lifters. The beauty of it is the frame is very compact and I'd see where a guy could use it as a day pack too.

http://www.wildernesspacks.com/yukon-frame-pack-assembly

Last edited:
OP
HellsCanyon
Lot of decisions guys this stuff thanks! Got some great leads! I'll let you know what we end up getting him...

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
Looks like we might be gettin a deal on a Dana designs K2 Longbed from a member on here. Ya'll rock thanks for all the help! :)

Mike

Looks like we might be gettin a deal on a Dana designs K2 Longbed from a member on here. Ya'll rock thanks for all the help! :)
Mike
That should work. Wonder if you can add or modify it to accept a meat shelf. Probably so.
I believe they're pretty cool and breath well on the back.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:
OP
HellsCanyon
That should work. Wonder if you can add or modify it to accept a meat shelf. Probably so.
I believe their pretty cool and breath well on the back.
Hunt'nFish

I'm going to take a look at it and see about rigging up something for it. Probably make some lash straps and see if a grab-it style addition will work. If anything he can bone out his animal and strap his camp to the exterior. Lot of guys I know hunt without a load shelf and do just fine.

Mike