30 Sherman magnum/ staball HD

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
And have to deal with Nosler brass? No thank you.
Adg makes brass now but still it’s splitting hairs with a Sherman and I think the case design is better on a Sherman and doesn’t need different fb reamer to make things work right

Peterson makes brass too… So it’s a problem running more freebore with a 30 Nosler but a semi wildcat such as the Sherman is easier?

I think it is difficult to place an objective speed gain by going with the 30sm over a 300 prc. The sharper shoulder angle helps hide pressure better and allegedly better brass life.
Sherman guys will claim that you can run everything Sherman at the speed of light.
If you have a slower barrel than others, you could see less of a gain over 300 prc.

Not trying to talk you out of it. I enjoyed mine while I had it and it was a fun project. I just don’t want people to think they are going to get 300 Norma improved performance out of a much smaller case capacity.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
What is the parent case of the 30 Sherman Magnum?
It’s a 300prc improved can fire 300prc to form brass
I think it is difficult to place an objective speed gain by going with the 30sm over a 300 prc. The sharper shoulder angle helps hide pressure better and allegedly better brass life.
Sherman guys will claim that you can run everything Sherman at the speed of light.
If you have a slower barrel than others, you could see less of a gain over 300 prc.

Not trying to talk you out of it. I enjoyed mine while I had it and it was a fun project. I just don’t want people to think they are going to get 300 Norma improved performance out of a much smaller case capacity.
no I ideally would build a Norma improved but I already have this defiance magnum action so that’s the root of the plan. Have a 24” benchmark carbon 30cal blank in safe waiting to spin on it. Was the 30 Sherman not your thing?

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
Peterson makes brass too… So it’s a problem running more freebore with a 30 Nosler but a semi wildcat such as the Sherman is easier?
No it wouldn’t be an issue. Just never been a nosler guy. Not saying it’s not a good round just not my thing.

It’s a 300prc improved can fire 300prc to form brass

no I ideally would build a Norma improved but I already have this defiance magnum action so that’s the root of the plan. Have a 24” benchmark carbon 30cal blank in safe waiting to spin on it. Was the 30 Sherman not your thing?
I started drinking the rokslide Kool aide and using smaller cartridges. I also had first hand experience with my outfitters in west texas smoking free range elk and audad out to 800 yards with 18" 6.5 PRCs. Between the info found here and my experience, I do not have much of a need for the big boomers at this time.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
I started drinking the rokslide Kool aide and using smaller cartridges. I also had first hand experience with my outfitters in west texas smoking free range elk and audad out to 800 yards with 18" 6.5 PRCs. Between the info found here and my experience, I do not have much of a need for the big boomers at this time.
I don’t really “ need “ one either but want a big one. Most likely just run my 280ai most the time but nice to have options

28bang

WKR
I have a 30 Sherman mag and I really like it. I have a 24” bartlein carbon. We have 3 other Sherman mags also. They’re shooting a 225 eldm at 3,000 with a 25” barrel.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
That is most likely the route I’m going. I have a 24” finish benchmark sendero lite carbon in the safe waiting to spin up on it

Adg makes brass now but still it’s splitting hairs with a Sherman and I think the case design is better on a Sherman and doesn’t need different fb reamer to make things work right

I agree that the Sherman is the way to go. I had the same debate with myself a year ago. I went on a Nilgai hunt in TX and our guide was carrying a .33 Nosler. I had the opportunity to shoot it and liked the performance. I didn't like the gun (Nosler 48) and have never been a fan of Nosler brass. Love their bullets (in certain applications), but have had nothing but problems with their brass.

I ended up settling on building a 338 Sherman Mega. It is a nice sweet spot between the .338 WM and the 33 Nosler, in a smaller overall package than either. I built on a Tikka action with a 21.5" barrel and am currently getting 2845 fps with a 225 grain Nosler AB with room to go faster.
In regards to needing a bigger boomer, I consider myself a hipster when it comes to smaller and shorter for game as I have been using Encore and Contender handguns in the various TCU chamberings to shoot deer for many years, so when I got back into rifles, the 6.5 Grendel, 7TCU and the like are what I use more than anything else. But, it is nice to have something a bit bigger as well. Shooting the 338 with a suppressor is not bad at all.

OP
Rooseveltwrecker
I agree that the Sherman is the way to go. I had the same debate with myself a year ago. I went on a Nilgai hunt in TX and our guide was carrying a .33 Nosler. I had the opportunity to shoot it and liked the performance. I didn't like the gun (Nosler 48) and have never been a fan of Nosler brass. Love their bullets (in certain applications), but have had nothing but problems with their brass.

I ended up settling on building a 338 Sherman Mega. It is a nice sweet spot between the .338 WM and the 33 Nosler, in a smaller overall package than either. I built on a Tikka action with a 21.5" barrel and am currently getting 2845 fps with a 225 grain Nosler AB with room to go faster.
In regards to needing a bigger boomer, I consider myself a hipster when it comes to smaller and shorter for game as I have been using Encore and Contender handguns in the various TCU chamberings to shoot deer for many years, so when I got back into rifles, the 6.5 Grendel, 7TCU and the like are what I use more than anything else. But, it is nice to have something a bit bigger as well. Shooting the 338 with a suppressor is not bad at all.
The 375 Yukon on a shorty definitely is intriguing! I just sent a tikka action to Unknown for the light weight milling and plan to build it into some kinda 18-20” light weight suppressor host. But yeah I’m pretty set on either a 30 Sherman or 300 prc for my defiance.