30-06 to 35 Whelen - Rebarrel or rebore

hiker270

WKR
Considering turning one of my 30-06's into a 35 Whelen (Rem 700). Looked into buying a 35 Whelen but since Iowa made them legal they're hard to find in a bolt action. (plenty of single shot rifles for sale which I am not interested). Any thoughts from forum members who have done either a rebarrel of a rebore. I have a 350 Legend which is suitable for Iowa but the 35 Whelen intrigues me. Thanks for any input!

gbflyer

WKR
35 Whelen is a great cartridge. I’ve done 3 of them.

Lots of folks use JES for reboring. You’ll find way more positive reviews than negative. I think a lot of it has to do with not waiting so long. He gets stuff done quickly, no waiting for a new barrel. Personally, no experience. I’ve always looked at a rebore as something to be done on a classic rifle barrel that is damaged in some way and the user is trying to keep it as “original” as possible. I’ve never seen the logic in reboring a perfectly good barrel on something that I can easily get a replacement for.

‘06 to Whelen is an easy swap in a 700, either rebarrel or rebore. It’ll work great.

I sent a 270 Ruger to JES for a rebore to 35 whelen- Not sure wht happened but the mysterious fail to fire possible headspace issue happened. About 25% of the time with reloads unless I jammed the bullet into the rifling. Some factory ammo did better, some worse. Had 2 gunsmiths try to fix it but never could figure it out.

Since then I rebarreled to a 9.3x62 and has been perfect! Not sure if legal in Iowa but the 9,3 is great.

I would rebarrel over rebore based on my experience. If whelen is the way for you look at an AI version

OP
hiker270

hiker270

WKR
35 Whelen is a great cartridge. I’ve done 3 of them.

Lots of folks use JES for reboring. You’ll find way more positive reviews than negative. I think a lot of it has to do with not waiting so long. He gets stuff done quickly, no waiting for a new barrel. Personally, no experience. I’ve always looked at a rebore as something to be done on a classic rifle barrel that is damaged in some way and the user is trying to keep it as “original” as possible. I’ve never seen the logic in reboring a perfectly good barrel on something that I can easily get a replacement for.

‘06 to Whelen is an easy swap in a 700, either rebarrel or rebore. It’ll work great.
Thanks for the info. I have looked at JES reboring and also several barrel makers such as Mcgowen. Just looking for some insight from Roksliders that have gone both routes, rebarrel or rebore.

49ereric

WKR
I sent a 270 Ruger to JES for a rebore to 35 whelen- Not sure wht happened but the mysterious fail to fire possible headspace issue happened. About 25% of the time with reloads unless I jammed the bullet into the rifling. Some factory ammo did better, some worse. Had 2 gunsmiths try to fix it but never could figure it out.

Since then I rebarreled to a 9.3x62 and has been perfect! Not sure if legal in Iowa but the 9,3 is great.

I would rebarrel over rebore based on my experience. If whelen is the way for you look at an AI version

brass can be fire formed to the chamber if head space is out of spec and then gtg.

brass can be fire formed to the chamber if head space is out of spec and then gtg.
I tried that as well, with neck sizing, didn’t work. Changed firing pins, spring etc. never FTF while a 270 and has never FTF as a 9,3 but that whelen was just off. a mystery that I decided was not worth messing with

OP
hiker270

hiker270

WKR
Next week I'll stop at the gunsmith that does my work and have a chat with him about a rebarrel. He does rebarrel rifles but not reboring. I would just buy a 35 Whelen but keeping my eye on Gunbroker they are rather scarce. I have 3 30-06's so the one Remington 700 is a rifle I traded a trolling motor for a few years ago and it doesn't get used. Would like to add a 35 Whelen to the arsenal.

OP
hiker270

hiker270

WKR
Final decision was made by my gunsmith. We talked about rebarrel or rebore and we decided on rebarrel. The rifle is getting a Mcgowen stainless barrel in 35 Whelen.

ldmay375

FNG
Sounds good.
I think most gunsmiths a pro-rebarrel. Which certainly no issues with that.
Once I have my designated donor rifle returned to me, I am going for a rebore.

BCsteve

WKR
Final decision was made by my gunsmith. We talked about rebarrel or rebore and we decided on rebarrel. The rifle is getting a Mcgowen stainless barrel in 35 Whelen.
Good choice on the Whelen, I have one built on a stainless Ruger MKII. What twist are you going with?

Rebarrel with savage or similar with barrel nut. That way if u run into issues with failure to fire you can easily readjust the heads pace.