30-06 round

Macintosh

WKR
Nothing wrong with boat tail bullets, any problem is the specific bullet model not boat-tails in general. Thats like saying to stay away from semiautomatic pistols in general because “I had a hi-point and it was terrible, never choosing a semiauto again”

49ereric

WKR
Nothing wrong with boat tail bullets, any problem is the specific bullet model not boat-tails in general. Thats like saying to stay away from semiautomatic pistols in general because “I had a hi-point and it was terrible, never choosing a semiauto again”
Poor analogy for certain. Accuracy wise there is no advantage shooting boat tails under 300 yards. They are over hyped.

N2TRKYS

WKR
sierra 165 grain Boat tail out of a short barrel 308 win. Long time ago.
I hear they are better now but still no good reason for a boat tail out to 300 yards.

I’ve had bad luck with GameKings in my 25-06 years ago, but it had nothing to do with boattails. I shoot 165 grain Accubonds in my 308 and love them. I’ve shot several bucks up close with zero issues. With this setup, I’m good for up close and far off. Perfect combo for me.

Benjblt

WKR
I shot the Federal Fusion 165 out of my 30 06 and they worked great.

My choice of the 3 at the distances you mentioned is the partition. But see what your gun likes. My Remington 700 mountain rifle in 30 06 was picky on ammo. It did like Federal ammo the best.
The 165 Fusions were the best! When I didn't have handloads.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
Round nose lead heavies are certainly traditional in a pump gun…but “yearn for”? 🧐

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Round nose lead heavies are certainly traditional in a pump gun…but “yearn for”? 🧐
yes. yearn. Blued steel and Walnut when meshed together form a soul. And the soul yearns for heavy for caliber projectiles at moderate velocities

49ereric

WKR
The Remington pumps and Winchester 1895s yearn for the 220grn cor-lokts. It completely changes the 30'06 dynamic.
My 92 year old Father in law preferred 180’s in his Rem 760 pump.
he wanted to use 150’s but an occasional deflection in heavy brush change his mind.
he bought a Rem 7mm mag but in heavy brush it failed to get thru as well so back to the 760.

Any of the bullets mentioned above will certainly handle whitetails at the ranges you'll probably be shooting.. I've shot most all of them and killed tons of whitetails with most of them... In you're case "killing" is not the issue (any of them will do that).. In my mind the question is... Once he's down, how much of the dead deer is still usable... You can only kill then so dead, but you bullet choice has a lot to do with meat damage, etc... Any bullet that is designed to fragment as it expands will tear up or otherwise ruin meat.. For that reason and not the "killing" reason, I have converted to the Barnes 168 TTSX.. Good accuracy, good reliable expansion, complete passthrough, etc.. The expanded bullet cuts its way rather than exploding.. Most animals I've taken with "soft nosed" bullets have about a 3" exit hole and the offside shoulder is destroyed... I've taken whitetails with a 300wm and 168 TTSX and have about a 3/4" exit hole, beautiful expansion and a shattered bones if bones are hit.. I've never shot an animal with the TTSX that didn't get full passthrough and super quick expiration... Good luck with your selection . The '06 is a killing machine with most any bullet you feed it..

For deer and bear to 150 yards max you can go to walmart and pick any Federal, Winchester, or Remington 150-180gr load and it will work the same as anything else. Even if it's not the most accurate load even a 3MOA would be sufficient for your uses. If the gun shoots halfway decent they're all usually 1-1.5moa loads at worse. If you want to get what shoots the best buy a box of few different types and see what shoots the best, zero for that load and buy more of that (go back to the same store and try to get the same lot number), and use the remainder of the lesser shooting loads to practice offhand, sitting, kneeling, off shooting sticks, etc.

Edit to add: The Federal Powershok and Remington Core Lokt from Walmart will mushroom more and pass through that size game giving an exit wound for tracking and also leaving less lead and copper deposits. The Winchester Deer Season XP (non copper) basically acts like a TMK which you can read all up on the terminal performance of and with 30-06 you're going to get a wicked exit on deer and a lot more lead and copper debris in the offside shoulder. It probably wouldn't be my choice in a 30-06 unless you're going to take selective shots or don't mine throwing away a shoulder. The deer season copper load retains its weight well, punches through, and has zero possibility of lead deposits. Just some things to consider.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Im looking to pick up ammo for the upcoming season, gun will be used for deer/bear in Pa.

The ammo im looking at is all federal in 3 different bullets listed below

165 gr barnes triple shock
165 gr partition
180 triple shock

Any opinions on the different bullets? Its overwhelming looking at the different kinds of bullets and trying to pick a load

If it maters it will be shot out of a Remington 760 pump, no shots will be over 150 yards, more likely 75 yards and in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s because you are going about this wrong. You don’t pick the load, the rifle does.