30-06 barrel cutdown results

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wanted to share my results from cutting my 30-06 barrel down.

The gun is a browning abolt 2 LH stainless stalker bought by my parents for my 14th Christmas. My mom worked at Browning firearms at the time. The gun has always shot well but had been mostly retired since my 20’s. I now shoot suppressed so I decided to chop the barrel down from 22 to 19 inches to make it handier and bring life back to an old gun.

I had a hand load of Barnes 168’s shooting at 2840 fps. Cutting the barrel speeds dropped to 2760 fps. So an 80 fps drop. I have been developing some loads for it since and with 6.5 Staball I’m getting 3000 fps with 150 badlands (if anyone has some I’ll do some terribly shady shit to have them) for the Barnes 168’s I’m getting 2840 with Staball but best sd and es at 2800 fps.

So overall the old 06 is still packing plenty in the shorter handier package and I don’t regret it at all. With the suppressor it shoots as good or better than it ever did. It’s capable of some solid groups.

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
That’s an idea I’m toying with with one of my rifles. Do u feel your speed of follow up shots has improved as well?
Haven’t really tested it in that respect. The suppressor helps a lot with recoil impulse though. Shooting the 150’s and my creedmoor with 147’s side by side the ole 06 doesn’t have that much more pop. It feels great to carry and looks a hell of a lot cooler that’s for sure.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I cut my 30-06 back to 18”, I’m getting 2680 with 180g accubonds. Similar with partitions.

I’ve thought about loading some Barnes 150s or something but I don’t think there’s any reason to since the accuracy is so good with accubonds and partitions.

I am thinking about trying the 168g eldm though in the near future.

OP
P

PLhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I cut my 30-06 back to 18”, I’m getting 2680 with 180g accubonds. Similar with partitions.

I’ve thought about loading some Barnes 150s or something but I don’t think there’s any reason to since the accuracy is so good with accubonds and partitions.

I am thinking about trying the 168g eldm though in the near future.
IMG_0203.jpeg
Not absurdly good but that’s a 1.5 grain gap ladder test with the 168 Barnes. Mine always shot 180’s best when I was shooting cup and core.