3 Tikkas with different accuracy...thoughts?

2-Stix

WKR
Hi,
I will make a long story short...I drank the coolaid 3 years ago after issues with 2 savages back to back & loosing zero on 3 scopes etc... I went Tikka/NF and I am VERY happy I did. But I have 1 Tikka that is not a shooter. I am in CA so no suppressors and mono bullets.

- I have a Tikka 7 Rem Mag Veil, factory break/fluted barrel 24" overall with break, thats 1.25" MOA 10-12 shots groups at 100...its a shooter at 9.5# with a NXS 3.5x15...just a bit heavy...shooting Factory Barnes 139LRX.

- I have a Tikka light weight stainless 6.5CM that was cut to 20", threaded and a holland break added thats 1.75" MOA 10-12 shots groups at 100...its not bad at 8.25# with a NXS 2.5x10...I built this up for my son...shooting Factory Barnes 127LRX.

- and I have a Tikka light weight stainless .308 that's 2.5" MOA 10 shot groups at 100...8# with a NXS 2.5x10...shooting Factory Federal with Barnes 165 TSX.

Now I had the .308 cerakoted. It had orange peal so I took it back, then it was the wrong color, then I had it done a 3rd time. The bolt does not run as smooth. I love how light the rifle is, I have shot a few bucks with it out to about 225 in OR...but the accuracy is just not there. Is it from repeated heat cycles on the coating? It it from being lightweight? Is it lack of a break? Bad barrel? I ran 3-4 ammos before I choose what was best.

Not sure what it might be and was courtesy if others have had non shooters or an idea of what I should do. I have about 24 boxes of ammo and its now a back up gun...but I miss the ease of the short light rifle.

Last edited:

Matt5266

WKR
What's the twist? My 300 WSM is a 1:10. It didnt shoot great until I started using heavier bullets. I'm loading 185 Bergers and it shoots lights out now with those.

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
Have you checked to make sure they didn’t get cerakote in the chamber/barrel? Easy look with a flashlight. The barrel would probably clean itself out, but I don’t think the chamber would clear cerakote out.

Try more ammo variety, or hand load it would be best. 3-4 different loads is not that many. You should be able to find something that shoots half the group size without difficulty.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
- and I have a Tikka light weight stainless .308 that's 2.5" MOA 10 shot groups at 100...8# with a NXS 2.5x10...shooting Factory Barnes 165 TSX.

Now I had the .308 cerakoted. It had orange peal so I took it back, then it was the wrong color, then I had it done a 3rd time. The bolt does not run as smooth. I love how light the rifle is, I have shot a few bucks with it out to about 225 in OR...but the accuracy is just not there. Is it from repeated heat cycles on the coating? It it from being lightweight? Is it lack of a break? Bad barrel? I ran 3-4 ammos before I choose what was best.

Cerakote makes the whole thing a “maybe”. Have tried Federal 168gr Gold Medal
Match? If you have not, try it. If that doesn’t do 1.5 MOA or less, a Tikka takeoff 308 barrel is $120 most times.

Try different ammunition and different weights. I have always been a Barnes TTSX fan as I have rifles that shoot them well. I purchased a Tikka T3x in .308 that will not group the 168 grain Barnes. Tried the 150 grain Corelokts and they are sub MOA. Also purchased a Tikka T3x in .223 that would not group the 55 grain Barnes. Tried the Sierra 64 grain and they group sub MOA. Different rifles like different ammunition. BTW I have two other rifles that group the exact Barnes loads sub MOA.

The Guide

WKR
I'd look at trying a 150 grain copper bullet and maybe a different 165 to 168 grain copper bullet after you shoot one of the known "good" lead core 308 loads like the Federal Gold Metal Match. Some of those 308 caliber barrels are 1 in 11 twist and might not like the heavier copper bullets at 308W speeds.

Jay

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
They have had their website updated for over a year now. I’d like to see a picture of the 1-10 printed on the barrel or box. It’s been a unicorn so far. Beretta rep said they wouldn’t be in production until at least this summer.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Hi,
I will make a long story short...I drank the coolaid 3 years ago after issues with 2 savages back to back & loosing zero on 3 scopes etc... I went Tikka/NF and I am VERY happy I did. But I have 1 Tikka that is not a shooter. I am in CA so no suppressors and mono bullets.

- I have a Tikka 7 Rem Mag Veil, factory break/fluted barrel 24" overall with break, thats 1.25" MOA 10-12 shots groups at 100...its a shooter at 9.5# with a NXS 3.5x15...just a bit heavy...shooting Factory Barnes 139LRX.

- I have a Tikka light weight stainless 6.5CM that was cut to 20", threaded and a holland break added thats 1.75" MOA 10-12 shots groups at 100...its not bad at 8.25# with a NXS 2.5x10...I built this up for my son...shooting Factory Barnes 127LRX.

- and I have a Tikka light weight stainless .308 that's 2.5" MOA 10 shot groups at 100...8# with a NXS 2.5x10...shooting Factory Federal with Barnes 165 TSX.

Not sure what it might be and was courtesy if others have had non shooters or an idea of what I should do. I have about 15 boxes of ammo and its now a back up gun...but I miss the ease of the short light rifle.
Confirming it shot good before the C-coat.

cjdewese

WKR
Could it just be the lighter rifle?

As an analyst I see your groups getting bigger as the rifle gets lighter. Could just be a coincidence...

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
What's the twist? My 300 WSM is a 1:10. It didnt shoot great until I started using heavier bullets. I'm loading 185 Bergers and it shoots lights out now with those.
The website says 10" and my barrel says 11".

Have you checked to make sure they didn’t get cerakote in the chamber/barrel? Easy look with a flashlight. The barrel would probably clean itself out, but I don’t think the chamber would clear cerakote out.

Try more ammo variety, or hand load it would be best. 3-4 different loads is not that many. You should be able to find something that shoots half the group size without difficulty.
I am in CA so I ran Barnes TTSX 168, Federal TSX 150 and 165 and Nosler ET 168. I also ran some Hornady but didn't watch to closely.

Cerakote makes the whole thing a “maybe”. Have tried Federal 168gr Gold Medal
Match? If you have not, try it. If that doesn’t do 1.5 MOA or less, a Tikka takeoff 308 barrel is $120 most times.
What does a gunsmith charge to swap out a takeoff?

Try different ammunition and different weights. I have always been a Barnes TTSX fan as I have rifles that shoot them well. I purchased a Tikka T3x in .308 that will not group the 168 grain Barnes. Tried the 150 grain Corelokts and they are sub MOA. Also purchased a Tikka T3x in .223 that would not group the 55 grain Barnes. Tried the Sierra 64 grain and they group sub MOA. Different rifles like different ammunition. BTW I have two other rifles that group the exact Barnes loads sub MOA.
I could try Hornady CX. And move to handholds. We move to MT on 2 years and will have more freedom to choose bullets, and ordering of materials online.

I'd look at trying a 150 grain copper bullet and maybe a different 165 to 168 grain copper bullet after you shoot one of the known "good" lead core 308 loads like the Federal Gold Metal Match. Some of those 308 caliber barrels are 1 in 11 twist and might not like the heavier copper bullets at 308W speeds.

Jay
I was getting the same groups with 150 and 165

Confirming it shot good before the C-coat.
It was painted early on...but I do believe it was tighter.

Could it just be the lighter rifle?

As an analyst I see your groups getting bigger as the rifle gets lighter. Could just be a coincidence...
That is one of my questions as well.

I appreacite everyones thoughts and experiences. I love the weight of the rifle set up...just not the groups.

Last edited: