3 rifles inherited... need some folks to bounce ideas off of.

hn0527

FNG
I've inherited a few things over the years, and I'm planning to use them for hunting in the Intermountain West, primarily targeting elk and deer. I'm seeking advice on potential shortcomings in my setup and whether they’re significant or just minor concerns.

My Setup:

Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor + Swaro Habicht 3-12x50

Pros
:
This is a great lightweight rifle for deer hunting in the mountains. I'm comfortable with its weight and have spent considerable time using it.

Cons: The only thing I don't love is the V-Plex reticle on the scope. It’s not ideal for holdovers, and my max comfortable range is 500 yards. I feel like the reticle could offer more versatility. The optic itself doesn't have sentimental value, and I’m worried that if I sell it, I might get a lower quality optic with a better reticle but lose out on the glass quality.
Question: Should I consider selling the Swarovski for an optic with a reticle that better suits my needs? Is the quality of the older glass still worth keeping, or would I be better off upgrading?

(yes I know in the photo the muzzle brake isn't timed. Waiting for my QD to arrive in the mail for a can I have)

Savage 110 UL in MDT LSS, .28 Nosler + Schmidt & Bender PMII

Pros
: This is a solid, beefier setup for elk hunting or when weight isn’t a concern.

Cons: The PMII scope might be overkill for hunting, even though I don’t mind the weight. I’m torn because I don’t really want to sell it—it’s a great scope and just happens to be on this rifle.
Question: Am I being unrealistic or “stupid” for bringing the PMII on hunts, even if the weight doesn’t bother me?

Kimber Model 89 BGR 7mm Rem Mag + Zeiss

Pros
: This rifle has great sentimental value and isn’t going anywhere. I didn't put the Zeiss on anything else, so it lives on this one.

Cons: I have the same issue with the V-Plex reticle as I do with the Barrett. I might be overreacting, but I’m considering whether it’s worth changing.

My Objectives:
1. Use the Barrett for ultralight hunting trips and be effective out to 500 yards. The rifle is dialed in, but I don’t love the optic.

2. Have a more robust setup for elk hunts or situations where weight isn’t a concern. The Savage fits this role, but I’m wondering if using the PMII is over the top.

I know this might seem a bit rambling, but I’m just looking for some advice on whether my concerns are valid and what steps I should consider. Any input would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 11.28.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 11.28.27 AM.png
    87.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 11.51.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 11.51.10 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
Personally, I’d sell the 28 Nosler and some/all the glass and put the money towards glass that suited me. You said you like the PMII and the weight doesn’t bother you so maybe you answered your question about it. 7 Rem Mag is more than enough for elk so 28 Nosler doesn’t do much for you. Put the PMII on the 7 Rem Mag. Use the funds to buy glass for the 6.5.

Personally, I’d sell the 28 Nosler and some/all the glass and put the money towards glass that suited me. You said you like the PMII and the weight doesn’t bother you so maybe you answered your question about it. 7 Rem Mag is more than enough for elk so 28 Nosler doesn’t do much for you. Put the PMII on the 7 Rem Mag. Use the funds to buy glass for the 6.5.
This.

OP
hn0527

hn0527

FNG
Yeah I think it’s hard to justify both a 7RM and 28 Nosler. What he said.
Really helpful insight here. I may do that. Another option is to take the Zeiss conquest and put it on the Barrett. Reticle is still a vplex, however the turrets are exposed and I can dial as opposed to the swaro

Yeah that’s not a bad idea either. It’s really about preference. For me, I want me gear to be as light as I can afford. Allows me to stay out longer and go further. The first year I went, I took a M77 boat anchor in 338 WM. Love that rifle but hated it by mile 5 of the 13 we did the first day. Built an ultralight for the next season and never looked back lol

Kurts86

WKR
I would put a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on the fieldcraft and use it for all hunting. 6.5 creedmoor is enough for elk to 500 yards.

Have you carried that 28 Nosler for elk yet? That seems like the great idea until you carry it kind of rifle. I’d sell the rifle and put that scope on a 6mm target rifle.

I’d ditch the Zeiss and get a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 or Maven RS 1.2.

OP
hn0527

hn0527

FNG
Yeah that’s not a bad idea either. It’s really about preference. For me, I want me gear to be as light as I can afford. Allows me to stay out longer and go further. The first year I went, I took a M77 boat anchor in 338 WM. Love that rifle but hated it by mile 5 of the 13 we did the first day. Built an ultralight for the next season and never looked back lol
This makes a lot of sense. The 6.5cr is what I what I have been using for
a) deer
b) any day I'm not coming back to the car
c) days from the car where elevation gain and mileage and terrain would suggest that 6.5cr will do the job and the weight savings will be worth not bringing the 28 nos.

OP
hn0527

hn0527

FNG
I would put a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 on the fieldcraft and use it for all hunting. 6.5 creedmoor is enough for elk to 500 yards.

Have you carried that 28 Nosler for elk yet? That seems like the great idea until you carry it kind of rifle. I’d sell the rifle and put that scope on a 6mm target rifle.

I’d ditch the Zeiss and get a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 or Maven RS 1.2.
Very helpful.

I have carried the rifle, not with the S&B optic, for elk. It's 10lb.6oz without ammo.
Not my favorite thing, but I'm a younger guy that competed in endurance sports at the post collegiate and collegiate level, so I'm lucky to have age and some conditioning on my side.

It's a lot heavier when compared to the 6lb.4oz barrett with optic. I'll look into those optics you mentioned.

WCB

WKR
I would just sell all the glass and buy new in the reticle you like. As far as "glass quality"...I would go for reticle or function I like coupled with build quality I like and last thing would be "glass quality". If you have a well built "tough" repeatable dialing scope glass will be more than adequate to kills stuff with. I don't think I have ever been in a shooting situation where the "glass quality" would have made 1 sh!t of difference.

For the .28 vs 7rem situation I can't say I don't agree with those on here. Could sell that whole set up and get whatever glass you want for the other two also.

OP
hn0527

hn0527

FNG
I would just sell all the glass and buy new in the reticle you like. As far as "glass quality"...I would go for reticle or function I like coupled with build quality I like and last thing would be "glass quality". If you have a well built "tough" repeatable dialing scope glass will be more than adequate to kills stuff with. I don't think I have ever been in a shooting situation where the "glass quality" would have made 1 sh!t of difference.

For the .28 vs 7rem situation I can't say I don't agree with those on here. Could sell that whole set up and get whatever glass you want for the other two also.
Very helpful. Thank you.