2P Tent or Tarp and Bivy

Solo OTC archery elk in CO in September. I can't decide on a tarp and bivy or 2p tent like the Nemo Kodiak. The Kodiak is nice and feels like it would provide more mental sanity in terms of home sickness. However, I dont want to deal with breaking it down and moving everyday if I decided to hunt that way. I dont want to hike back to a camp everyday. If I had the tarp and bivy it would be less weight and I could take it wherever I go. Quickly setup and breakdown. If I wanted to have a camp to go back to every night I could set that tarp up and leave it taking the bivy with me and setup where ever I decided to stop hunting. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Poser

WKR
If you’re going to get a tent for Sept, the Kodiak is overkill. I’d recommend the Nemo Hornet, as it’s lighter and simpler. If you went with the 1p version, you’d be under 2 lbs.

I prefer a tarp + bivy myself, but let’s be real: most any tarp will have a longer setup time than a tent like the Neno. The tarp Breakdown is probably faster, though. If you expect you may be sleeping in mule deer beds on steep slopes, a bivy is the way to go. If you don’t have any experience with tarps, you’re probably better off using a conventional tent.

If your starting fresh my vote would be a 2 person tent with a fast and light pitch option (floor and fly). In late season or bug season you have a full shelter and if you want to go light you can shave weight.

I am a person that never goes into the bush without a tarp in my pack so I accept the 12 oz weight of the tarp and that way my tent can be left set up and dry gear etc. I guess I have spent too many days out when the only shelter was the tarp I had with me glassing.

Lots of great options for whatever choice you make

Tarp if there's no bugs or you're immune to mosquitos, 2p w/ bug netting if there's bugs. IMO I would only bring a bivy instead of a tent if I didn't think it was going to rain, and if I didn't think it was going to rain then why would I bring a bivy? I guess you could skip the tent and bring an ultralight emergency bivy in case it rained unexpectedly.

OP
SavageTradition
I was thinking the OR Helium bivy and then Seek Outside Cimarron for weather.
Or just the stone glacier skyair tent and carry and extra tarp for my gear if weather got bad.

*zap*

WKR
Cimarron with a stove jack will let you easily add a stove later or a 1/2 nest for buggy conditions. Lots of room and really not heavy but not ultra light either. Carbon fiber pole or cut a piece of para cord for the length you need and use it to measure/cut a limb for a pole. You can also use two trekking poles but that may not be best if your leaving it up for a few days.....I prefer the carbon fiber pole.

fatlander

WKR
Seek silex fits the bill nicely for what you’re after. Trekking pole supported. Takes longer to get it out of the pack and stuff sack than it does to pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For everything but winter camping I love my Zpacks duplex. Set up and take down is very quick and dyneema takes a beating for how light it is. I used to carry a Big Agnes Copper Spur, which is a great tent but, once I made the switch I didn't look back.

BryGuy

FNG
I’m a fan of my big Agnes tigerwall 2, has a small vestibule, lightweight, and plenty big for me and the dog and gear