2P Freestanding Tent with best ventilation

judders87

FNG
I'm currently researching some freestanding tents and was looking for some first hand experience in terms of good ventilation. I produce a lot of condensation when sleeping and would like to mitigate it more. I'm leaning towards the SG Skyscraper 2p or Big Agnes Copper Spur 2p. The SG would probably be the top of my price range but wanted to see if there is something else I should consider.

madcalfe

WKR
Ive been using the MSR hubba hubba for the last 6 years for my sheep hunts and don't have any complaints. I had the copper spur for 1 hunt and got holes in the bottom when the tent was slightly off the foot print.
The copper spur has a lot more mesh than the hubba hubba. haven't used the SG tent but it seems from the reviews condensation is a thing with it.

TaperPin

WKR
Other than a lot of mesh, definitely get a tent with dual doors for maximum cross flow. The copper spur has a lot of good features - I’d be more excited about it if it was a little heavier/durable.

I can’t stress the dual doors enough for ventilation.

MThuntr

WKR
I'll echo the comments of the Copper Spur. It's a great tent and I've used the heck out of one since 2019...like 30-100+ days a year. Use was May to October. Weathered some nasty storms. In favorable weather, I often take the fly off completely. 2 doors is a must and the 2 vestibules offer some extra cover for gear when it's raining. It claims to be a 2 person tent but is basically for 1 person (maybe 2 if you're currently dating/married to the other person)

After 5 years, I wish the floor was a touch tougher but a footprint and site selection prevents most of the issues and is an absolute must (this is not negotiable for nearly all lightweight tents).

Love my Copper Spur 2 when I need a full tent. No way I’m putting a second guy in there….. but for me plus gear it’s been perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
judders87

judders87

FNG
Other than a lot of mesh, definitely get a tent with dual doors for maximum cross flow. The copper spur has a lot of good features - I’d be more excited about it if it was a little heavier/durable.

I can’t stress the dual doors enough for ventilation.
I think that has been some of my hang-up, the reviews on durability seem to be so-so. Getting a footprint might not be the end of the world but it makes me wonder about going a step-up.

TaperPin

WKR
I think that has been some of my hang-up, the reviews on durability seem to be so-so. Getting a footprint might not be the end of the world but it makes me wonder about going a step-up.
As purely a backpacking tent I usually over estimate how hard I am on tents - as a friend of mine often says for a number of things, wear it out first then get a more durable one if you need to. :)

3Esski

Lil-Rokslider
I like my kuiu mountain star, but I would not like it as much with 2 people. Could be done, but I prefer it as a large 1 person tent. No condensation issues for me thus far.