280ai rifle....good idea or no..

Alright been everywhere online beating my head against this. Don't need but really want to get a new elk capable but muley bashing rifle good to 500yrd max and I love the idea of a 280ai. My heart wants a 6-ish lb rifle with a 24" barrel + break on a nice mountain rifle platform. Looking for a 7.5lb all up gun. I have a great rem 700 custom shop mountain and love the ergos. I should also note that I'm not a handloader....yet. Will go there eventually with an AI but want to start with factory loads.

Been looking at the weather by Backcountry 2.0 but worried it's too light. Looking at a nosler 21 but worried it's too heavy. Anything else I should be considering? Also looked at the Christensen Mesas and Ridgeline but can't tell which of them actually has a 24" barell. Maybe wouldn't loose to much going to a 22"??

I'd go custom but want to keep this around the 2k mark or lower.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Buy a Tikka and a Tikka profile prefit, not carbon. You will be right around 6lbs.

If the Backcountry is too light a Kimber will also be in that weight range. I have a Montana in 280ai and it is definitely harder to shoot well than my Tikka in 280ai.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a backcountry 1.0 in .280Ai and love it. I don’t think it’s too light but if you are worried about that you could go to the Mark V hunter in .280AI. You would be right over 6lbs and should be a great shooter. Christensen FFT’s would be on my radar as well in either a Mesa or Ridgeline if I was looking right now.

Unckebob

WKR
If you don't reload, don't do it. Loaded ammo is very hard to find. When I do locate some, it is very expensive.

I reload which makes it easier for me.

jimh406

WKR
I personally have no use in a 280AI. Sure they are good, but not that much better than a 270 or 7Mag. Considering that almost everyone "could" buy 270 and 7 mag in almost any store and almost never can buy 280AI in either brass or factory loads, I wouldn't personally buy a 280AI.

However, maybe 280AI is extremely popular in your area, or you have no concerns about availability of brass or ammo. There is a reason why there are so many calibers, but much of the time it's to sell a different caliber and not because it is needed.

Fwiw, I have more than one caliber, so I'm part of the problem. :D

MAP1

FNG
The Backcountry 2.0 looks nice but they are $2600. 280 AI factory ammo is almost non existent.

z987k

WKR
The kimber's don't exist unless you're willing to go with a hunter, so mark that off the list.

The Weatherby BC 2.0 is fantastic.
The Christiansen Mesa FFT looks nice, never shot one, and I'm not sure about the stock, it felt unfinished.
Tikka will require a re-chamber or re-barrel. With a sub 20oz aftermarket stock as well you can get that thing down in the mid 5's. But you'll be pretty close to the same price or over the other 2. Only do this if you want a custom twist or profile/threading as well.

yfarm

WKR
Son has a Backcountry in 280ai, says his Fieldcraft 270 fits better and shoots better. My Cooper M92 in 280ai is my lifetime rifle, fired 2 rounds in 2 yrs hunting with 2 elk down on impact. Fire a couple of rounds in the fall at the range to verify no scope drift. Shoot Ruger Am compacts in 243 and 308 every other week for practice.

tony

WKR
I handled a Browning Hells Canyon in 280ai I think the shop had it for sale at 1100-1200. Its been there for a while as its Ohio and theres no rifle hunting. No ammo for it for sale but they had 280 rem which can be fire through it.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
You could be pretty close to $2000 if the build on your existing action. $400 barrel (steel), $800 gunsmith work, $600 stock, $150 trigger. Probably be around 8 lbs scoped depending on scope. Not sure I'd do a .280 AI if I didn't reload though.

My best 280 shoots 7mm rem mag brass. LOL
I love the idea of a 280, but other than nostalgia it doesn’t pencil out.
My other 280 uses 7mmRSAUM brass. That one really doesn’t pencil out. It’s on a Montana 8400 so in your weight range.

Need a light scope and mounts to make a 7.5# long action.

Last edited:

tony

WKR
I looked at those, twist is 1:9, everything I have read says a twist of 1:8 for heavy bullets? I don't know, as I'm an amateur
Browning is the only reasonable factory gun I can find with a 1:8 but it has a 24" barrel

OP
Biggern'yurs
I have a backcountry 1.0 in .280Ai and love it. I don’t think it’s too light but if you are worried about that you could go to the Mark V hunter in .280AI. You would be right over 6lbs and should be a great shooter. Christensen FFT’s would be on my radar as well in either a Mesa or Ridgeline if I was looking right now.
I've been looking at that hunter. Just not sure about the stock and I think the aftermarket options are pretty limited for those right? Other than the peak stocks. I could be wrong.

Dennis

WKR
You might take a look at the Cooper Backcountry Model 92 in 280Al. Rifles are 5.75 lbs and my 6.5X284 with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 weights under 7.5 lbs set to hunt. 1/2 moa accuracy guarantee 280Al with 24" barrel. Good luck

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
The 280 AI is a great cartridge and you can shoot regular 280 in it with often good accuracy if you can't find AI ammo. Another alternative is to build a 7mm PRC but ammo may be slow to acquire.