28 Nosler powder and loads

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
My 22” barrel Sammi chamber loves imr 8133 ran 180g bullets up over 3156 and 195 are right at 2985 in cruise mode/ node. Single digit numbers and .2 groups… retumbo is identical.
Yeah that's a pretty general consensus. Just sucks Retumbo is so hard to get and 8133 is no more, so I have to work with what I can get my booger hooks on.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Bringing this back up, H50BMG just isn't producing what I'd like to see. I had some pieces of brass that were tight on close so I resized the rest to be .002" under the fired case dimensions, so everything is now set to a baseline.

Anyone have experience with Ramshot LRT and 180's? The magnum powders are pretty slim pickins right now so I scooped up 9lbs of it that was available so I either have enough for the barrel's life, or I'll have an 8lb bartering product..

chav0_12

FNG
Here’s that page from the Hornady book. I’m a little longer than that with the Berger 195s. Chrono wasn’t reading so I don’t have those numbers. I found pressure with virgin Nosler brass at 80.5gr of Retumbo at almost 3.600” COAL and that was just a slight ejector mark. I couldn’t went a few mor probably. 177gr Hammers with 8133, same length, with virgin Nosler brass showed same pressure signs at 77.2gr.
80AFFA24-DC4C-431D-9294-E5791F50AEE0.jpeg

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Here’s that page from the Hornady book. I’m a little longer than that with the Berger 195s. Chrono wasn’t reading so I don’t have those numbers. I found pressure with virgin Nosler brass at 80.5gr of Retumbo at almost 3.600” COAL and that was just a slight ejector mark. I couldn’t went a few mor probably. 177gr Hammers with 8133, same length, with virgin Nosler brass showed same pressure signs at 77.2gr.
Thanks for the data! Nice, wish I could find Retumbo but it's always a hot commodity. Hopefully LRT produces some decent accuracy so I can run with it.

chav0_12

FNG
Thanks for the data! Nice, wish I could find Retumbo but it's always a hot commodity. Hopefully LRT produces some decent accuracy so I can run with it.
Yeah I got lucky a couple of years ago. There was 10lbs sitting at a local store, when it first stopped showing up. I should’ve bought all of it, I only bought 4. Now I’m kicking myself.

There’s a pretty long thread in longrangehuting about LRT and some guys have reports with it in some 28 Noslers. I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve seen it and thought about grabbing some but I’m not sure I need it at this point.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
I think I'm finally getting somewhere. A few weeks ago I scrubbed the carbon ring out of the throat, and completely stripped the barrel of carbon and most of the copper just to start from a baseline. Shot a ladder up to 87gr with LRT and had zero signs of pressure. Loaded my last 7 pieces of brass with 88gr and shot them this morning. These 7 pcs were in pretty bad shape, new brass with headspace variance of about .003", and some had dents in the walls. ES was 90, avg velocity 3070. Hoping that will tighten up being formed out and sized consistently.

7 shot group at 100 yards, 2 cold bores in there.
20230610_094810.jpg