28 Nosler or 300 RUM?

Having a gun built. Narrowed down to 2 calibers and will not consider any others...so please stick to my calibers of choice. Ive done all the ballistic, recoil, BC, etc. research. Want a long range Elk rifle 6-700 yards. 28 Nosler or 300 RUM?

28 nosler - im worried it wont catch on and would be a tough sell someday (when Im gone)

300 RUM - gets beat at 6-700 yards by .284 BC's, but has a better following.

Brass buying sucks for both. Both cost a lot to shoot and reload.

So I am looking for something to push me one way or another. 28 Nosler or 300 RUM?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
OK but this your last question on these calibers:)

300 Rum with a 230 will be a better elk killer IMO. Plus once you shoot 700, you will want to shoot 1000+. Its just how it works!

OP
big10hunter
OK but this your last question on these calibers:)

300 Rum with a 230 will be a better elk killer IMO. Plus once you shoot 700, you will want to shoot 1000+. Its just how it works!

LOL, yeah well i change my mind twice a day. someone has to make up my mind for me!!!

What load would you consider loading for each caliber? I like the 300 ultra shooting the 210's or 230's. I just feel there is more versatility there. As far as resell value, that would be the last thing I would think about. Whichever you choose will lose money. So if a 300ultra only fetches 50% of initial investment, and the 28 fetches 40%, who really cares? When building a custom, I would not let that sway you at all. You WILL lose money on it if you decide to sell.

Good luck on whichever you choose, either caliber will be awesome!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
LOL, yeah well i change my mind twice a day. someone has to make up my mind for me!!!

It's all good! Too many choices. When you finally do decide. Make sure you post up the end result and all the animals you slay with it.

Once you do decide. Buy the brass, don't procrastinate!

Steve

FNG
I would go with the 300 RUM for sure. I shoot 200 gr nosler accubonds out of mine with retumbo powder and it is a tack driver. I've tried lighter bullets but have been disappointed with the accuracy, not to mention the B.C. is better with the 200 gr. I also recommend shooting remington brass as I have found nosler brass to be to soft which causes accuracy issues as well. It cost a little over a dollar per shell for me to reload and that's when I get 6-7 loads per shell.

GKPrice

Banned
What load would you consider loading for each caliber? I like the 300 ultra shooting the 210's or 230's. I just feel there is more versatility there. As far as resell value, that would be the last thing I would think about. Whichever you choose will lose money. So if a 300ultra only fetches 50% of initial investment, and the 28 fetches 40%, who really cares? When building a custom, I would not let that sway you at all. You WILL lose money on it if you decide to sell.

Good luck on whichever you choose, either caliber will be awesome!

That is ... unless you build a 30.06

OP
big10hunter
I would go with the 300 RUM for sure. I shoot 200 gr nosler accubonds out of mine with retumbo powder and it is a tack driver. I've tried lighter bullets but have been disappointed with the accuracy, not to mention the B.C. is better with the 200 gr. I also recommend shooting remington brass as I have found nosler brass to be to soft which causes accuracy issues as well. It cost a little over a dollar per shell for me to reload and that's when I get 6-7 loads per shell.

how do you find remington brass?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would get the 300 RUM.

Also, which bullets/velocities are you comparing to get the 28 beating the 300 when it comes to long range ballistics?

Steve

FNG
Right now it is tough to get new...probably won't happen. I have had mine since it was introduced it '99 so I was stalked up before the ammo shortages. Remington is still making the brass, they are only selling it as loaded rounds though. $70 for 20 loaded vs. about $1 a piece for the brass. You may be able to contact Remington and see if they will sell you some that way. I would look around for once shot brass on the internet. You should be able to find it pretty easily.

Steve

FNG
I can't say for sure because I have never tried norma brass. I tried nosler 2 years ago with my proven load (which is not to hot) and had sticky extractions or split necks on about half of my loads. The brass was new and was mic'd out before loading. I talked to my gunsmith about it and he said stay away from nosler brass in the 300 RUM. He said a lot of people have problems with it and the best brass for the 300 RUM is Remington. I get about 7 loads before the necks split on them, sometimes a few more than that. I measure the length every load but usually only trim every other. It never hurts to try if the price is right.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
28 nosler with berger 195 EOL, should be pushing over 3100fps... Run the numbers in a ballistic calc against the 300rum, I think you will be pleased with a 28 nosler... I have always had a thing for .284 bullets though.

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some numbers...

10mph crosswind

28 Nosler, pushing a Berger 195 EOL at 3140 fps (RE33 powder).
100 yards - 3013fps, 3831ft/lbs, 0 MOA elevation drop, .37 moa wind drift
1000 yards - 1992fps, 1674ft/lbs, 19.91 MOA elevation drop, 4.16 moa wind drift

300 RUM, Berger 230 Hybrid, 2930fps (H1000 powder).
100 yards - 2799fps, 4003ft/lbs, 0 MOA elevation drop, .44 moa wind drift
1000 yards - 1767fps, 1595ft/lbs, 24.02 MOA elevation drop, 5.02 moa wind drift

Further you get the more of a advantage the 7mm has.... Either bullet is going to have sufficient energy to kill at a really long way out, but the 7mm bullet will be more forgiving with wind...

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
I can't say for sure because I have never tried norma brass. I tried nosler 2 years ago with my proven load (which is not to hot) and had sticky extractions or split necks on about half of my loads. The brass was new and was mic'd out before loading. I talked to my gunsmith about it and he said stay away from nosler brass in the 300 RUM. He said a lot of people have problems with it and the best brass for the 300 RUM is Remington. I get about 7 loads before the necks split on them, sometimes a few more than that. I measure the length every load but usually only trim every other. It never hurts to try if the price is right.

unless something has really changed Nosler was not making their own brass, it was being made by the winning contract manufacturer who "was" Norma last I heard anything - If there is anyone who has inside info on this please speak out - I've used Nosler brass extensively with 7mm Rem Mag, 30.06, 7mm-08, 243 and 308 and never have experienced "soft" brass characteristics - with '06 and 7 RM I have loaded some pretty hot rounds too - what I have noticed is some volume variance with "blemished" product though - topic for another thread, I know

novaman64

Lil-Rokslider
Isn't the 28 Nosler going to be very close to the recoil of the 300 RUM?

I believe the case capacity of the RUM is around 15 gr more H2O. Also, the difference between a 230gr bullet and a 195 gr bullet if you are comparing the heavies in both caliber, so yes, the 28 nosler will have less recoil.