28 Nosler or 300 RUM?

Broz

WKR
I visited with the guys from Nosler at the Shot Show. The 30 Nossler (data from their own loading manual) is pretty much the same as a 300 win mag. Which in my opinion when loaded with a 215 Berger is an awesome elk round. In fact, the 30 nossler with a 210 takes the same charge weight of H-1000 as my favorite 300 win load. The op asked about comparing the 28 Nosler to a 300 RUM. Quite a bit of difference here. Remember, the 28 Nossler case is very close in capacity to the 300 win. I have built, tested and hunted with no less than five 7mm-300 win mags in the last 3 years. Last season we took well over a dozen elk with the 7-300 and 195 Bergers. You can get 3100 fps, with RL26 but it is a MAX load and the rifles I have seen are happier at 3050 fps with the 195's. In most instances this pretty closely matches the ballistics of a 7-300 win with 180's at 3150 to 3175. Now enter the world of the 300RUM. 230 Bullets and you can get 3200 fps with RL33. Easily 3150. The heavier, 230 will have less wind drift, less drop and will arrive with noticeably more energy. The farther out you go the more the 30 shines. Now lets talk about terminal performance on elk. We take many elk each year on the ranch I manage. We had management hunts on both sides of the regular MT season this past year. I was there for the taking of 78 elk this past season alone. I can look you straight in the eye and say this. The 30 cals, (300 win or 300 Rum) kills elk faster than any 7mm. Sure the 7mm will kill elk, and do it just fine. But it is not uncommon to have to give them a second round even with the new 195's. These results have been the discussion among many of the prominent custom rifle builders I know who also see a lot of elk taken. Now add the reality of shot placement being a little off and the results are even more evident. The 30's kill faster than the 7mm's and the 338's kill faster than the 30's. I am not a hater of the 7mm. Remember, I have build many of them and hunted with many of them. It baffles me as to why but that is just the way it is. Now, lets talk about barrel life. We are talking loading them to max right? A 7mm with a 195 at 3100 and a 30 cal with a 230 at 3200. Not only does the 30 cal with a 230 have the superior long range ballistics, arrive with a lot more energy, but the barrel will last longer. Simple physics. The smaller caliber bores loose throats faster if used under the same conditions. The only department the 7 will win in is less recoil. But if you are serious about long range you will surely have a brake installed on either so you can stand to shoot it enough to practice. Plus you will want to spot your own shots, and you will want the accuracy that comes with less recoil after a brake is added. So brake them both with good brakes and forget the recoil thing. They are all good elk killers. But when you compare them fairly, one is simply better than the other.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

elkguide

WKR
Thank you Sir.

I've seen quite a few elk taken over the years and while I've seen them taken with everything from a 25.06 on up.
I was always happiest to see a hunter get into camp with a .300 Win Mag.
Big enough to quickly get the job done and not too big to make them afraid of it.

A good friend of mine in Wyoming carried a Sharps and I asked him about an elk's reaction to being hit with it.
He responded, "Well, I haven't ever seen one fall down when hit by this but I've never seen one take a healthy step afterwards."

Retterath

WKR
I visited with the guys from Nosler at the Shot Show. The 30 Nossler (data from their own loading manual) is pretty much the same as a 300 win mag. Which in my opinion when loaded with a 215 Berger is an awesome elk round. In fact, the 30 nossler with a 210 takes the same charge weight of H-1000 as my favorite 300 win load. The op asked about comparing the 28 Nosler to a 300 RUM. Quite a bit of difference here. Remember, the 28 Nossler case is very close in capacity to the 300 win. I have built, tested and hunted with no less than five 7mm-300 win mags in the last 3 years. Last season we took well over a dozen elk with the 7-300 and 195 Bergers. You can get 3100 fps, with RL26 but it is a MAX load and the rifles I have seen are happier at 3050 fps with the 195's. In most instances this pretty closely matches the ballistics of a 7-300 win with 180's at 3150 to 3175. Now enter the world of the 300RUM. 230 Bullets and you can get 3200 fps with RL33. Easily 3150. The heavier, 230 will have less wind drift, less drop and will arrive with noticeably more energy. The farther out you go the more the 30 shines. Now lets talk about terminal performance on elk. We take many elk each year on the ranch I manage. We had management hunts on both sides of the regular MT season this past year. I was there for the taking of 78 elk this past season alone. I can look you straight in the eye and say this. The 30 cals, (300 win or 300 Rum) kills elk faster than any 7mm. Sure the 7mm will kill elk, and do it just fine. But it is not uncommon to have to give them a second round even with the new 195's. These results have been the discussion among many of the prominent custom rifle builders I know who also see a lot of elk taken. Now add the reality of shot placement being a little off and the results are even more evident. The 30's kill faster than the 7mm's and the 338's kill faster than the 30's. I am not a hater of the 7mm. Remember, I have build many of them and hunted with many of them. It baffles me as to why but that is just the way it is. Now, lets talk about barrel life. We are talking loading them to max right? A 7mm with a 195 at 3100 and a 30 cal with a 230 at 3200. Not only does the 30 cal with a 230 have the superior long range ballistics, arrive with a lot more energy, but the barrel will last longer. Simple physics. The smaller caliber bores loose throats faster if used under the same conditions. The only department the 7 will win in is less recoil. But if you are serious about long range you will surely have a brake installed on either so you can stand to shoot it enough to practice. Plus you will want to spot your own shots, and you will want the accuracy that comes with less recoil after a brake is added. So brake them both with good brakes and forget the recoil thing. They are all good elk killers. But when you compare them fairly, one is simply better than the other.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Great info jeff

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ballistically, the the 28 wins...but I can't go buy 28 Nosler at a gas station in the middle of nowhere in Montana yet so I'd go 300RUM for availability. Either way, you're gonna be able to reach out and touch something. Also, 300RUM brass has been much easier to come by from what I have seen.

Matt

Personally, I'm a 7RM guy :cool:

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Mic drop! :cool:

Hookem 74

FNG
Been shooting the 300RUM since the year Remington introduced it.. not because I need the extra umph it provided, but because I LIKE IT!! Overkill for deer, but why is that bad? I have killed 15-20 large S Texas whitetails with it, along with several dozen hogs up to 900 yds with the 165 Swift Sciroco.. 92.5 gr of R22 on a CCI 250, Remington Brass. Cases split after 3 reloads. Honestly, I am pretty sure I have had factory stuff split after first firing. Changed up this year to the Berger 168. So far a big fan of it also. The entire Nosler line is based off of the 404 Jeffery case just like the Ultra line, just shortened down a bit, but not as much as the SAUM. Barrel life issues?? hell, they make new barrels every day!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Mic drop! :cool:

Not hardly. The 195 Berger has a better BC than the 230, .755 for the 195 vs .710 for the 230, so I'm not sure exactly how he claims better long range performance from the RUM. Everyone is taking one person's opinion for gospel without quantifying the claims. Shoot a 300 RUM at 3200 for any length of time and see what kind of barrel life you have. You can ask ten people, and get 10 different answers, on what rifles they have seen do what on game animals. It's a Ford vs Chevy debate. I've got 26 and 28 Noslers, and see absolutely no need for a 300RUM. Does that mean I don't like them? Nope. I just don't have a want, or need, for one personally. FWIW my 28 is pushing a 195 at 3080 fps and holding a steady .33 MOA at 200 yards which is where I shoot groups. Plenty of gun, and plenty accurate for me. And yes, it has a brake lol.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Not hardly. The 195 Berger has a better BC than the 230, .755 for the 195 vs .710 for the 230, so I'm not sure exactly how he claims better long range performance from the RUM. Everyone is taking one person's opinion for gospel without quantifying the claims. Shoot a 300 RUM at 3200 for any length of time and see what kind of barrel life you have. You can ask ten people, and get 10 different answers, on what rifles they have seen do what on game animals. It's a Ford vs Chevy debate. I've got 26 and 28 Noslers, and see absolutely no need for a 300RUM. Does that mean I don't like them? Nope. I just don't have a want, or need, for one personally. FWIW my 28 is pushing a 195 at 3080 fps and holding a steady .33 MOA at 200 yards which is where I shoot groups. Plenty of gun, and plenty accurate for me. And yes, it has a brake lol.

Don't cheat the 230s BC, it's .717:)

Jeff opinion has a bit more weight than most. He watch 70+ elk get shot last year alone.

That said, I would take the 300 rum and 230 Bergers every time over any 284 combination. Especially if long range elk are the target. It seems every time I see a LR elk shot with a 7, they like to walk around for awhile!

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't cheat the 230s BC, it's .717:)

Jeff opinion has a bit more weight than most. He watch 70+ elk get shot last year alone.

That said, I would take the 300 rum and 230 Bergers every time over any 284 combination. Especially if long range elk are the target. It seems every time I see a LR elk shot with a 7, they like to walk around for awhile!

Quit bringing facts to an emotions-based argument :) Those people shooting those 284's need more practice lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
Would you take the 300RUM over the 30 Nosler? The Nosler has better numbers and build it on the RUM action and get the full use of the OAL. Just a thought...

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Would you take the 300RUM over the 30 Nosler? The Nosler has better numbers and build it on the RUM action and get the full use of the OAL. Just a thought...

Better numbers? I would like to see what a 30 can do before I answered that.
I built rifles to shoot long range so I usually single feed or have a Wyatt box installed to get full size ammo.

I am shooting 230s at 3075 with the Rum. The 30 isn't going to touch that.

I built rifles to shoot long range so I usually single feed or have a Wyatt box installed to get full size ammo.

is this with your longer barrel on the new build ? 27''? curious how much if any speed was gained by adding length on your 300. im a ways out from needing a new CA barrel but was curious about sticking with a 26'' or going to a 27 or 28'', thanks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
is this with your longer barrel on the new build ? 27''? curious how much if any speed was gained by adding length on your 300. im a ways out from needing a new CA barrel but was curious about sticking with a 26'' or going to a 27 or 28'', thanks.

Yes that's with the 27 inch barrel. The 26 inch barrel is getting 3045. Both with RL33

sneaky

"DADDY"

I was going off of 210s from Nosler factory loads I was looking at the other day, 300 RUM with 210 ABLR and the same bullet/weight in the 30 Nosler. Let me look up the specs so I'm not spitballing here, but i do know I was surprised that the 30 Nos was between 150-200 fps faster. Brb with their numbers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ok, I was off a little. 2920 on the RUM and 3000 on the Nosler. I was pretty surprised when I saw those numbers myself, especially the energy numbers. I think that's where I got the higher values I mentioned above.