28 Nosler glass

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would go with a 4-16x42 ATACR and be done with it.
He's wanting more magnification, in the 25x to 30x range. At least he was a couple days ago when we were discussing it through texts. That's a great scope though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a top weight on this scope?
There are several great choices in FFP @ 25Xish mag.

R

OP
mfllood3800
Is there a top weight on this scope?
There are several great choices in FFP @ 25Xish mag.

R

Don't want to go ove the 32-34 oz range which seems std for most good dialing/ glass scopes in the 25x range.
Sneaky is right, I would like 25 and even more, but I also have a part of me that says I can shoot with 18 and do just fine, and then save $$$$.

I'll be honest , there way too many variables and options. When this happens I tend to just revert back to what I know and what works- hence NightForce.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Why the 25x? That magnification is not necessary for 1000 yards. If it is a hunting rig, 25X will be tough at first/last light. You are talking about 2mm exit pupil assuming a 50mm objective.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Don't want to go ove the 32-34 oz range which seems std for most good dialing/ glass scopes in the 25x range.
Sneaky is right, I would like 25 and even more, but I also have a part of me that says I can shoot with 18 and do just fine, and then save $$$$.

I'll be honest , there way too many variables and options. When this happens I tend to just revert back to what I know and what works- hence NightForce.

I'd include Minox and Kahles in your list with NF.
I've used all of these to good effect.
Top shelf glass/reticles/knobs/illumination.
If you may go these routes PM me as I have a great source.

R

OP
mfllood3800
Why the 25x? That magnification is not necessary for 1000 yards. If it is a hunting rig, 25X will be tough at first/last light. You are talking about 2mm exit pupil assuming a 50mm objective.

Ive hunted with a 25X for years and never have an issue, even at 100 yards. Just gotta spend time behind the rifle and be used to it. Not an issue for me.

Following..... I am currently running a 28 with the VX5HD and am looking to upgrade glass this offseason. I have lost faith in its ability to hold zero for multiple shots. Just this past week I had it dialed in for a couple of hunts. Go to Montana and hit a buck perfect at 583 yards. Head to Idaho and miss a broadside WT at 530 yards with a solid rest. I break out a target back at camp and I'm 2" high at 100 yards. Leaning towards NF but interested to hear what you end up going with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Side note, not a Leupold fan myself but what were your elevations in each state vs the zero or did you accommodate for that(I'm assuming you did)?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Side note, not a Leupold fan myself but what were your elevations in each state vs the zero or did you accommodate for that(I'm assuming you did)?
It would take a pretty significant change in temp and elevation to be 2" off at 100yds. I'm not off that much from 800ft in TN to 6k feet in Utah at my local range.

OP
mfllood3800
I'd include Minox and Kahles in your list with NF.
I've used all of these to good effect.
Top shelf glass/reticles/knobs/illumination.
If you may go these routes PM me as I have a great source.

R

I looked at Kahles and was tempted to run one on my RPR 6.5 for precision. I ended up putting a NF SHV on it and have second guessed that a couple times. Though I am hitting moa targets and less past 1200 with it. I just think I could've done better for same price and stayed at FFP. Oh well, live and learn, which is why I am here asking. I appreciate the input.

I do agree I don't need 25 for LR, but I have become accustom to it. There are options I will be open to that are not 25. Ive been researching a lot and am getting close to a 3 scope final. NF, Bushnell, SWFA. Others are close, but I keep coming back to these 3. I would love to spend $1100 and save a grand, so the Burris isn't out, nor are a few others. I wish I had my rifle now so I could get some true weights figured out. Fierce claims certain weights and I haven't seen them accurate yet. If I can get this at sub 6 lbs I will opt for less power and more mountain light type glass. But if it comes in 7.5 lbs unscoped like my other one, I will forget the weight and just get the glass that's best for me. Weight isn't critical, as stated previously, but would be nice to carry a lighter gun for once. All my guns are heavy. Never been too much of an issue, but hiking is getting harder as I get older.

OP
mfllood3800
It would take a pretty significant change in temp and elevation to be 2" off at 100yds. I'm not off that much from 800ft in TN to 6k feet in Utah at my local range.

If guys are reloading and using powder that can be effected by temp changes and then add in a little elev and density Altitude change there could some differences. But 2" is pretty significant.

I went bow hunting in AZ a few years back and had to move my entire sight housing a full pins difference and wondered why. Thought it was going from 6000 to sea level. Turns out my peep slid and I didn't catch it. Usually a big jump in POI on most any weapon is something over looked

A 100 yard zero will not change due to any factor like elevation, temp, etc. ( might move an 1/8 of an inch but nothing you could distinguish) The other persons scope lost zero or his form was different that day. Using a lead sled, bipod vs no bipod. Or other various changes in shooting form.

ORHunter

WKR
Less than 800ft difference in elevation between the two locations. If this just happened once I would rationalize it but it's happened 3 or 4 times. I've checked everything else and don't see how it could be anything else at this point.

A razor AMG will get you 24x at a reasonable weight. 6x is more than I like at the bottom end but FOV is within 4’ of what 4.5x LRHS has at 100 yards.

OP
mfllood3800
A razor AMG will get you 24x at a reasonable weight. 6x is more than I like at the bottom end but FOV is within 4’ of what 4.5x LRHS has at 100 yards.

Just looked at the Razor, I was surprised.
I haven't been a fan of the Vortex stuff, and the razors I always thought were heavy. This one is lighter than expected.
Interesting.
Any issues dialing?
This is right in line with the NXS series.

I looked at Kahles and was tempted to run one on my RPR 6.5 for precision. I ended up putting a NF SHV on it and have second guessed that a couple times. Though I am hitting moa targets and less past 1200 with it. I just think I could've done better for same price and stayed at FFP. Oh well, live and learn, which is why I am here asking. I appreciate the input.

I do agree I don't need 25 for LR, but I have become accustom to it. There are options I will be open to that are not 25. Ive been researching a lot and am getting close to a 3 scope final. NF, Bushnell, SWFA. Others are close, but I keep coming back to these 3. I would love to spend $1100 and save a grand, so the Burris isn't out, nor are a few others. I wish I had my rifle now so I could get some true weights figured out. Fierce claims certain weights and I haven't seen them accurate yet. If I can get this at sub 6 lbs I will opt for less power and more mountain light type glass. But if it comes in 7.5 lbs unscoped like my other one, I will forget the weight and just get the glass that's best for me. Weight isn't critical, as stated previously, but would be nice to carry a lighter gun for once. All my guns are heavy. Never been too much of an issue, but hiking is getting harder as I get older.

Nightforce makes a first focal plane SHV just not in the higher magnifications

Just looked at the Razor, I was surprised.
I haven't been a fan of the Vortex stuff, and the razors I always thought were heavy. This one is lighter than expected.
Interesting.
Any issues dialing?
This is right in line with the NXS series.

I've owned two but I bought them both when they were the new hotness and I sold both for a profit because my LRHS scopes fit my needs fine.

They are really neat scopes, low profile locking turrets with solid adjustments, FFP, good reticles, illum, relatively lightweight, good glass, actually made in america (exception of reticle from Germany). From everything I've seen they have been solid as far as tracking and zero retention. I've been hoping for a version with a 3 or 4x bottom end since they came out. I'd like to hear if Form has been through a few of them?

2five7

WKR
If you are familiar with NF, then just go that route. If money isn't really an issue, the ATACR in 4-16 would get my vote.

Less than 800ft difference in elevation between the two locations. If this just happened once I would rationalize it but it's happened 3 or 4 times. I've checked everything else and don't see how it could be anything else at this point.

Sounds like it's time to get away from leupold. Based on your previous posts if you are hunting I currently run both a Swarovski Z6 and Z6(i). Glass is impeccable for hunting and the weight is not really in the league of NF or others . I dont baby my rifles and have had zero issues. They don't have the MOA with as a NF but the glass is where it's at. The other recommendation I would have would be S&B PMII. Either choice imho has better glass than NF, but might be above your budget depending how patient you are for a good deal to come around.