28 Nosler glass

Have a 28 coming that I need to dress with appropriate glass.
The barrel is CF helping to reduce the weight, although I m not obsessed with being lightweight. I currently carry a 300 RUM w/ 2 lb Nightforce on top. But I am not opposed to a lighter set up than this.

My goal is a decent light weight long range set up, around the 1000 yard range.

I am looking at the NXS as I have a couple NFscopes already and they just work.
Looking at the Burris XTR ll , SWFA scopes, NF, and some of the Swarovski

I guess I am just inquiring from others who shoot LR, who also are somewhat mindfull of weight, but not obsessed with, and what you chose and your findings. Good or Bad

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 - 26 ounces

I absolutely love the scope. None of the issues that Leupold seemed to get a bad reputation for with other lines.

I can go on and on about the little details that Leupold built into this scope.

Big fan of the LRTS here. Perfect feature set for hunting. If you need a Bushnell let me know I might have a source for them :)

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18x44 - 26 ounces

I absolutely love the scope. None of the issues that Leupold seemed to get a bad reputation for with other lines.

I can go on and on about the little details that Leupold built into this scope.

The specs on that scope are money, I just don’t quite trust Leupold enough.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Still can't figure out why Zeiss isn't on your list

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TTSX180

Lil-Rokslider
I would stick with what your using if it works, there’s a lot of good and bad glass a little extra weight makes more muscle.

sneaky

"DADDY"
For me, it’s this (in relation to the v6).
So you base everything on one person's experience? I've had/ have several Zeiss scopes and they are fantastic. That's MY experience, and I don't expect anyone to make a decision on that no more than I would expect someone to not consider them because of another person's experience.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Aren’t the Zeiss’ all second focal plane?

Anyways I know Leupold had a reputation going for unreliable dialing but you’ll see that the experience with most running the Mark 5 are getting extremely reliable performance out of them. I’ve got a couple thousand rounds ran under mine without a hiccup.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Aren’t the Zeiss’ all second focal plane?

Anyways I know Leupold had a reputation going for unreliable dialing but you’ll see that the experience with most running the Mark 5 are getting extremely reliable performance out of them. I’ve got a couple thousand rounds ran under mine without a hiccup.
I don't think he specified whether he wanted first or second focal plane

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think he specified whether he wanted first or second focal plane

If he wants to reliably shoot out to 1000 yards then wind is the name of the game. Most guys dial elevation and hold for wind. If you're holding for wind you don't want to have to think about being on max power so that your reticle is accurate. It's also much more difficult to see your impact when you're on max power. Most of my shooting is done between 8-12 power at the yardages in discussion.

So you base everything on one person's experience? I've had/ have several Zeiss scopes and they are fantastic. That's MY experience, and I don't expect anyone to make a decision on that no more than I would expect someone to not consider them because of another person's experience.

I’ll take one persons experience when that person sees hundreds of thousands of rounds go down range a year and actually tests scopes in a manner that shows their failures. I put a couple thousand rounds down range a year if I’m lucky and I still don’t find the time to validate tracking and zero retention on all my hunting set ups like I should.

I could just trust the 5 guys on the internet who’s vortex vipers “track dead nuts” because they can hit steel rams at 500 yards the 2 times a year the get to the range, but I know better. The last generation conquests were well known to have erector failures. I heard similar stories with HD5s. If Form went 2 for 2 on failures with v6s, I’m not buying.

OP
mfllood3800
To clear up, I do want FFP. I normally shoot at max anyway. I am fine staying on target at LR at max mag. I have no issues with Zeiss. Just forgot to put those on the list, mostly because they aren't on the top of my perceived desired glass, I could be wrong. I will have a hard time stepping away from NF, but if I do it will be with a better scope, not equal. I enjoy watching Panhandle Precision (Sam Millard) on youtube and trust a lot of his experience. He almost has me sold on the Bushnell Elite tactical XRS ll. He , like myself is a NF guy, yet he made the jump. The weight is basically same as everything else, yet he makes me believe the glass is superior to the NF. So it is on my radar.
I have a few Leupolds already and they are "ok". I even have 2 Vortex Viper (Muzzle Loader) and they are "ok". My NF are on my LR and Precision rifles for obvious reasons. I am trying to, but not obsessed with, keeping glass weight down a bit if possible, but not at the cost of settling for a scope below my NXS quality in both dialing and glass.

I have heard good reports last year on the Burris and felt they deserved a look, even though I do not believe they measure equally to the NF. But, if I am going to drop a half pound in glass, I will need to settle, but it has to be worth it.

I guess this is what I am after from you guys.... What scope was "worth it" to you in dropping weight?
Sneaky has the right idea with some of the Zeiss. I looked at the V6, but only saw minimal weight savings, so I placed them lower on the list. I am trying to convince myself to drop to the Swaro power ranges (lower) and save lots of weight yet keep good glass, and dialing. Im just having a hard time accepting the idea of using 18 max power. Maybe its just me.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You could always get a Tangent Theta

sneaky

"DADDY"
Sure could or a S/B.

or a Weaver 3x9 and get closer
You can almost get two S&Bs for the price of a TT. TT bought Premier Reticle who assembled the S&B scopes for the military contracts.

ORHunter

WKR
Following..... I am currently running a 28 with the VX5HD and am looking to upgrade glass this offseason. I have lost faith in its ability to hold zero for multiple shots. Just this past week I had it dialed in for a couple of hunts. Go to Montana and hit a buck perfect at 583 yards. Head to Idaho and miss a broadside WT at 530 yards with a solid rest. I break out a target back at camp and I'm 2" high at 100 yards. Leaning towards NF but interested to hear what you end up going with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk