28 Nosler and 30 Nosler LRX vs TTSX

Looking for some guidance on Barnes bullets for my 28 Nosler and 30 Nosler x bolts. 28 I have loaded up with 145 Lrx with h1000 and the 30 nosler with the 200 Lrx and retumbo. Both guns shoot well with the current load but wondering if I would be better off with a TTSX offering (150 for the 28 and 180 for the 30) as I have never shot over 350 yards on an animal.(heavy timber/cutlines). Done some reading that the LRX don’t perform well under 300 yards. The 28 is used mainly on black bears, deer. The 30 I plan to use for moose and elk. Also noticed the ttsx are a much shorter projectile. Thanks !

A382DWDZQ

WKR
For that distance, I’d just load whatever shoots well. I have not heard of the LRX having issues at shorter distances and would not worry about that myself. You could jump up to the 168 LRX if you want to slow it up a little in the 28 Nos, and 212 LRX in the 30 Nos.

OP
CanuckOutdoors
For that distance, I’d just load whatever shoots well. I have not heard of the LRX having issues at shorter distances and would not worry about that myself. You could jump up to the 168 LRX if you want to slow it up a little in the 28 Nos, and 212 LRX in the 30 Nos.
I wanted to try the 168 lrx but Barnes recommends a 8 twist. Might be worth trying it and seeing if it keyholes on paper at distance.

z987k

WKR
Looking for some guidance on Barnes bullets for my 28 Nosler and 30 Nosler x bolts. 28 I have loaded up with 145 Lrx with h1000 and the 30 nosler with the 200 Lrx and retumbo. Both guns shoot well with the current load but wondering if I would be better off with a TTSX offering (150 for the 28 and 180 for the 30) as I have never shot over 350 yards on an animal.(heavy timber/cutlines). Done some reading that the LRX don’t perform well under 300 yards. The 28 is used mainly on black bears, deer. The 30 I plan to use for moose and elk. Also noticed the ttsx are a much shorter projectile. Thanks !
The LRX doesn't perform under 300yd? That's extremely dependent on what it's coming out of, but even then, monos usually have top terminal velocities in the mid to high 3000's if they even have one.

I wanted to try the 168 lrx but Barnes recommends a 8 twist. Might be worth trying it and seeing if it keyholes on paper at distance.
Not keyholing on paper doesn't tell you anything about a bullet's stability. Especially from a terminal perspective.

OP
CanuckOutdoors
The LRX doesn't perform under 300yd? That's extremely dependent on what it's coming out of, but even then, monos usually have top terminal velocities in the mid to high 3000's if they even have one.

Not keyholing on paper doesn't tell you anything about a bullet's stability. Especially from a terminal perspective.
What would you reccomended if I wanted to try the 168 to determine stability ? I’m relatively new to reloading (2 years). Always looking for new info.

As for the LRX not performing under 300 yards. Seen some posts on other forums that they are not opening up at shorter distances and just not performing like the ttsx. Again with so many variables hard to say if this is true.

z987k

WKR
What would you reccomended if I wanted to try the 168 to determine stability ? I’m relatively new to reloading (2 years). Always looking for new info.
Use this. https://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

As for the LRX not performing under 300 yards. Seen some posts on other forums that they are not opening up at shorter distances and just not performing like the ttsx. Again with so many variables hard to say if this is true.
But what are they shooting the LRX out of? What's the muzzle velocity, which LRX(the BC). Because you can shoot the 168LRX out of a 7-08 or a 28 nosler and the velocity inside 300y would be wildly different.
Or we could be talking about the 208LRX out of a 308win, which would be quite inappropriate.
To just say a bullet doesn't work inside X yards without a LOT more information is completely meaningless. Bullets have a minimum velocity and most have a maximum velocity. Keep them inside that window and they're fine.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I dropped a bull moose in its tracks at about 50 yards with a 200 gr LRX out of a 300 RUM. He was quartered to me so I put the bullet between his neck and shoulder. I definitely wouldn’t be concerned with that bullet at close ranges.

OP
CanuckOutdoors
Use this. https://jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

But what are they shooting the LRX out of? What's the muzzle velocity, which LRX(the BC). Because you can shoot the 168LRX out of a 7-08 or a 28 nosler and the velocity inside 300y would be wildly different.
Or we could be talking about the 208LRX out of a 308win, which would be quite inappropriate.
To just say a bullet doesn't work inside X yards without a LOT more information is completely meaningless. Bullets have a minimum velocity and most have a maximum velocity. Keep them inside that window and they're fine.
I got 1.205 in that calculator. According to Berger that’s marginally stable. Think it would be stable under 400?

100% agree with what your stating! It’s not an apple to apples argument. Need to know all the variables. Thanks!

OP
CanuckOutdoors
I dropped a bull moose in its tracks at about 50 yards with a 200 gr LRX out of a 300 RUM. He was quartered to me so I put the bullet between his neck and shoulder. I definitely wouldn’t be concerned with that bullet at close ranges.
Awesome! Much meat damage?

JFK

WKR
Lrx are fine at closer range. You might blow the petals off but that’s a positive in my opinion. Honestly, for what you are doing…350 ish yards…bc is almost irrelevant. I’d shoot the bullet that’s most accurate and gives you over 3000fps muzzle velocity. You can’t push a mono too fast, but you can push them too slow.

z987k

WKR
I got 1.205 in that calculator. According to Berger that’s marginally stable. Think it would be stable under 400?
Absolutely not. Especially for a mono. I don't think it'd keyhole, but you could end up with some really weird things terminally. 1.5 or higher. And the higher the better with monos.

OP
CanuckOutdoors
Absolutely not. Especially for a mono. I don't think it'd keyhole, but you could end up with some really weird things terminally. 1.5 or higher. And the higher the better with monos.
Awesome. Think I’m gonna stick with my 145 Lrx for the 28 and keep the 200 Lrx for the 30. Don’t mess with what works! Thanks for the info 🤙

Axlrod

WKR
For your situation, I would go with the lightest mono Barnes makes. There is no upside to using heavy monos. Have seen lots of game killed with the 110's & 120's in .277/.284 from 50-500 yards. They work the same at those ranges.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
Sorry, I thought the x bolts were 1:8 in both 28 and 30 Nosler. If not, then I would probably go TTSX, though 200LRX should be ok.

A382DWDZQ

WKR
For your situation, I would go with the lightest mono Barnes makes. There is no upside to using heavy monos. Have seen lots of game killed with the 110's & 120's in .277/.284 from 50-500 yards. They work the same at those ranges.
I have found that I prefer having more weight in case of wind and inclement weather. Just makes it one less thing to worry about. I switched up the 308 from 130 TTSX to 168 TTSX for that reason. I really like that 168 in my 30 Cals.

SloppyJ

WKR
What's the deal with the LRXs not doing well above a velocity threshold? I've actually thought about trying some and stepping on them for some close range shots. I thought if they broke apart, that would be a feature to me.

OP
CanuckOutdoors
I have found that I prefer having more weight in case of wind and inclement weather. Just makes it one less thing to worry about. I switched up the 308 from 130 TTSX to 168 TTSX for that reason. I really like that 168 in my 30 Cals.
I may try the 150 ttsx for the 28. But 5 gr difference not gonna make a world of difference. Maybe they shoot a tad bit better.