270wsm load development

bone stock T3 lite Tikka SS - the only thing not factory is the aircell recoil pad and steel recoil lug - 130 grain etips in front of RL-22 shoots muzz at 3380 and sub MOA at any range I've chosen to kill what I had in the crosshairs, one shot and no running or tracking, can usually hear the impact of the one shot , Hmmmm.... pretty simple to me

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
bone stock T3 lite Tikka SS - the only thing not factory is the aircell recoil pad and steel recoil lug - 130 grain etips in front of RL-22 shoots muzz at 3380 and sub MOA at any range I've chosen to kill what I had in the crosshairs, one shot and no running or tracking, can usually hear the impact of the one shot , Hmmmm.... pretty simple to me

Well that’s good, I’d stick with the Tikka for sure.

PRS

FNG
RL26, I also should note I got better velocity with Large Rifle primers then mag primers.
When you tested with the different primers I know you said you got more velocity with large rifle primers. Did it shrink your extreme spreads at all and did it affect the accuracy I have been thinking about trying this in my 270 WSM to.

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
Mag primers made everything worse but that’ll be powder dependent. I use RL26.

When I had a 270WSM Fed210M primers were what worked best also. I shot 150gr VLD over H1000 also.

We have 3 Tikka's in my family now,.. Love em' ! All 3, are SUB MOA and the .243 Win. is,.. a sub, 1/2 MOA "shooter" !
My .270 WSM with, 64.7 grains of IMR 7828 using, 140 AccuBonds at, 3,150 FPS, shot it's BEST Groups with, F-215's.
My groups shrunk after switching from, Win LR Mag's ! The .270 load stated, shoots 1.25 inch groups consistantly, at 200 Yards, in my Tikka T-3, SS, Lite. The 170 EOL and 1-8 twist is a "good one" but, where I hunt the shots rarely get over,.. 3-400 yard's it so isn't necessary for, me. Our Elk were shot at, 70 and 250 yards this year. I HATE recoil and Brakes,.. so 140-150 grain Bullets, in 7.5 Pound Rifles are,.. "enough" for, ME !

Last edited:
cci 250's all the way

PRS

FNG
Thanks for all the advice as soon as it drys out here i plan on getting out and testing with the different primers and will let yall know what I find works best in my rifle.

The best Primers, are the ones that, get you,.. the BEST,..Groups !
I personally think, it has something to do with the TYPE and "burn rate" of the chosen, Powder !
Going from Win Mag LR Primers, to F-215's shrunk my Groups, at least 1/4" min. at 200 Yards.
No other changes, were made ! I almost shot my Barrel out, using Nosler's Loading Data, for the 140 AB, tho !
Thay are about 4 grains of IMR 7828 ,.. LIGHT !!! Got my Bbl, "broke in",.. real well !
Berger's Data, seems way better for, the .270 WSM !
IF a Tikka T-3 SS lite, .270 WSM doesn't "shoot" real well, it's probably because, the Barrel, isn't "Floating" properly (rubbing Forearm channel ) or, the Alum Recoil Block has been HAMMERED OUT,.. Get, the STEEL one !
In England and Canada the 1,000 Yard shooters, are using a 7mm Bullet in the .270 or, .300 WSM case for, Competition.
Yes, it's a "good one" ! I think the 170 grain EOL Berger in .270 WSM would be a good one to "TRY" at 1,000 yds as I know that, TDhanses, has used his "set up" for LR Elk with, good success ! The BC of the 7mm Bullet is, a bit better, tho.

Last edited:
The best Primers, are the ones that, get you,.. the BEST,..Groups !
I personally think, it has something to do with the TYPE and "burn rate" of the chosen, Powder !
Going from Win Mag LR Primers, to F-215's shrunk my Groups, at least 1/4" min. at 200 Yards.
No other changes, were made ! I almost shot my Barrel out, using Nosler's Loading Data, for the 140 AB, tho !
Thay are about 4 grains of IMR 7828 ,.. LIGHT !!! Got my Bbl, "broke in",.. real well !
Berger's Data, seems way better for, the .270 WSM !
IF a Tikka T-3 SS lite, .270 WSM doesn't "shoot" real well, it's probably because, the Barrel, isn't "Floating" properly (rubbing Forearm channel ) or, the Alum Recoil Block has been HAMMERED OUT,.. Get, the STEEL one !
In England and Canada the 1,000 Yard shooters, are using a 7mm Bullet in the .270 or, .300 WSM case for, Competition.
Yes, it's a "good one" ! I think the 170 grain EOL Berger in .270 WSM would be a good one to "TRY" at 1,000 yds as I know that, TDhanses, has used his "set up" for LR Elk with, good success ! The BC of the 7mm Bullet is, a bit better, tho.
Just to clarify … you are NOT saying shooting a 7mm bullet in a .270 !! that cartridge is known as the 7mm WSM ..

I think that "sometimes" all this number crunching of B.C.'s and all does not tell the WHOLE story - I also am thinking that "ringing steel" often skews the reality of what is happening when killing an animal is the objective - We can "mathemetize" til the end of the day but actually killing stuff is the end of the discussions although I don't like the thought of experimenting on game animals TOO much - there's an old "thing", it used to be called common sense I think, that lends credentials to a lot of things often discussed but not tried

Just to clarify … you are NOT saying shooting a 7mm bullet in a .270 !! that cartridge is known as the 7mm WSM ..
NO, I'm talking about using the .270 or, .300 WSM's, CASING only, for the LONGER Neck that is available with, the same SHOULDER dimension. They are called 7mm-.270 WSM or, 7mm-.300 WSM ( Wildcat only). The Factory Winchester, 7mm WSM is, almost,.. OBSOLETE ! The .270 and .300 WSM's are still Popular, tho ! Number "crunching" for 1,000 yard Target shooters, IS,.. a "big thing". I wasn't talking about Hunting/ killing Game at ELR,.. ONLY,..Target accuracy ! The 180 grain Berger 7mm Bullet IS slightly Supeior, to the 170 EOL .270 cal. Berger ( but close ). High BC allows for, less, Wind Drift and less, Bullet Drop which helps, the 1,000 Yd Target guys. TDhanses, can tell you,.. how far, he's shot Elk with, them !

OP
tdhanses

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve only started load development this spring in the 270wsm, tried them in a 270 win but they wouldn’t stabilize past 300 yards in a 1:10 twist barrel.

So no elk killing experience here with the 170.

NO, I'm talking about using the .270 or, .300 WSM's, CASING only, for the LONGER Neck that is available with, the same SHOULDER dimension. They are called 7mm-.270 WSM or, 7mm-.300 WSM ( Wildcat only). The Factory Winchester, 7mm WSM is, almost,.. OBSOLETE ! The .270 and .300 WSM's are still Popular, tho ! Number "crunching" for 1,000 yard Target shooters, IS,.. a "big thing". I wasn't talking about Hunting/ killing Game at ELR,.. ONLY,..Target accuracy ! The 180 grain Berger 7mm Bullet IS slightly Supeior, to the 170 EOL .270 cal. Berger ( but close ). High BC allows for, less, Wind Drift and less, Bullet Drop which helps, the 1,000 Yd Target guys. TDhanses, can tell you,.. how far, he's shot Elk with, them !
Yep, just wanted to clarify for others … the 7mm WSM is slightly different dimension, SLIGHTLY but enough to not allow a 7mm WSM to be chambered in a 270 WSM