.270 + Hot 150gr Hand Loads...

Vitals

WKR
My buddy has loaded me some pretty hot 150gr rounds and I want to get after some ca black bear. Is this enough gun? I know shot placement is everything, but what has been your experience with taking black bear with a .270 if any of you have?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't recall what bullets he used. I have been trying to get a hold of him to ask but he is out of town. Why?

The type of bullet is more important than the weight imo. If they are good bonded bullets, they will work just fine.

Jager

WKR
Vitals have you put a few of these loads through your rifle yet to make sure it handles them ok?

OP
Vitals

Vitals

WKR
Vitals have you put a few of these loads through your rifle yet to make sure it handles them ok?

Yeah I have fired about 15 of these rounds. All range work though. They really increased my accuracy. I believe he used 52 grains of IMR 4350. I don't hand load so that doesn't mean much to me in terms of it being overly loaded or not. It would seem fairly conservative, but certainly more than factory ammo?

Pretty sure Aron just killed one with a .260. I live in no lead country California & I will probably just use stock 130 barnes for my first bear this year. Then again I may load some 140s. Not sure what the advantage would be with a 140 barnes @ about 3000 fps when I can load 130s close to 3200 fps. Any opinions?

Jager

WKR
Good to hear mate, that load is recommended maximum in a .270win, so nothing to worry about I wouldn't think, especially if you have put a few through. The 150 should be getting along at about 2700fps.

MattB

WKR
In my experience bears die easier than deer, so if you would be comfortable using a .270 for deer you will be fine for bear.