2645 FPS 156 EOL for elk

RussDXT

WKR
So I have a load gives me excellent accuracy, I’m nowhere near max load. So this close to first rifle in Colorado would you all recommend chaining a little more velocity?

The gun is an Element 6.5 PRC

Woitey

FNG
I have a Cooper in 6.5 PRC, Cooper sends out a test target with load info on it. The half moa load was a 124 grain Hammer Hunter with 56.0 grains of Magnum. I was able to duplicate that load and accuracy but Labradar showed it at mid 2700 fps and some change. This was Creedmoor speed, and the PRC is a magnum case, so, I went to 61.0 grains of Magnum, got to 3100 fps, and was able to get the same accuracy, which will give me a bit flatter trajectory should I need it. However your load will retain its speed and energy for a decent bit, due to its world-class B.C. and is not speed dependent on expansion. Mine is.

Last edited:
How far do you plan on shooting? A quick calc in 4dof puts you hitting 1800 fps around 700 yards I would think that would be plenty

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
So there's a easy button answer for that one. Assuming 8000 feet altitude and a minimum velocity threshold of1800 FPS per Berger. That gets you to just over 950 yards per the Berger Ballistics Calculators. I prefer a little more velocity to ensure expansion and go with 2000 fps as my mins, that gets you to just over 700 yards.

That's the great thing about the big heavy for cal Bergers, they maintain velocity like a freight train rollin down hill.

Well dang, Mountainrancher and I were on the same page here.(y)

wildcat33

WKR
You should be able to easily get 2800. If I can get a load that’s around a moa at higher speed I’ll take it. The wind is your enemy, not .3moa in group size.