.257 Roberts frustration

83cj-7

WKR
I built a 257 a while back, my buddy owns it now. I only used 100 grain SGK and the 70 grain Blitzking with IMR8208. I can’t remember the load, but I can find out. The rifle had a 10 twist Krieger. The groups were nothing short of amazing. I’m talking about one ragged hole at 100 yards.

I'm about at my wit's end with this damn Kimber.
I was really wanting to shoot 100gn bullets, but it looks like that isn't in the cards. I've tried Partitions, Core-lokt & SGKs. I know there are others, but these 3 were what I wanted to work up for (pigs & bigger, range time & whitetail)
I've tried so many combinations around the 'magic' load with IMR4350 is not even funny. Nothing from 43 to 47gn will shoot under 3" whatsoever. I've dropped below book minimum to way above & nothing seems to do better than 3". I thought I'd found a happier spot at 46, but my last range trip slapped them all into 3" again.
I'm not seeing any group shift, all group centers are consistent (it's not the scope or mounts) it just doesn't seem to want to shoot 100 grainers.
Doing a bunch of online snooping, it turns out that this seems to be common, even with the 1:10 twist. They seem to like <90gn and >110gn. The mid weights don't get any love.

So. Has anyone had any success at all with 100gn bullets in the Bob? If not, what's the consensus on 80gn TTSX on accuracy & game? I've read a ton of very positive accuracy reports on the Barnes/4350 combo, but no dead stuff reports
I have good luck with 100 grain nosler ballistic tips over IMR 4350 and with 87 grain hornady spire points over 4064. My rifle is an older tang safety Ruger.

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Only bullet my friend's Kimber will shoot is a 115 Barnes tsx. Everything else is a 3-4 inch group.

I have experienced that frustration!

I have an early '80's Ruger M77 in 257 Roberts. It absolutely loves the Sierra Gameking 100 grain boat tails, and the Speer 100 grain boat tails with 38.8 grains of IMR 4064. Also shot Hornady 100 grain Interlocks very well.

When I had to move over to a non-lead bullet in this rifle for California, I tried 100 grain Barnes and 100 grain Noslers, as I wanted to stay with the 100 grain weight. It was all over the paper! After a lot of load combinations, I was able to get the 90 grain Hornady GMX bullets dialed down with 40.0 grains of IMR 4064, and the bullet seated to the bottom of the cannular closest to the tip. With that load it would keep three shots under an inch if I did my job. The GMX has been replaced with the CX by Hornady.

After looking at all the bullets the gun loved, and the ones I wanted to shoot, I noticed that the 100 grain copper bullets were longer, with a longer bearing surface. The 90 grain Hornady GMX's were close to the same length as the previous lead core bullets the gun had shot well.

This thread has me interested. I'm gonna have the opportunity to do some Eastern whitetail hunting moving forward. Everything I own for Colorado mixed elk and mule deer hunting seems a bit over done. Dead is dead but I do value efficiency. Even the .284 Winchester in a Savage model 99 seems more than necessary. .257 Roberts could be a fantastic option.

Interesting to read this, I’ve had the same issues working up 100g loads for my 257 Mauser 98. Currently rebarreling it to a different caliber partly out of frustration. I never tired anything other than 100g’s as I have other rifles filling those needs.

This thread has me interested. I'm gonna have the opportunity to do some Eastern whitetail hunting moving forward. Everything I own for Colorado mixed elk and mule deer hunting seems a bit over done. Dead is dead but I do value efficiency. Even the .284 Winchester in a Savage model 99 seems more than necessary. .257 Roberts could be a fantastic option.
It’s just such a classy cartridge

Resurrecting an old thread, I know.

robtattoo , any good news to report as far as tightening up your 257R?

I have a Montana that was shooting right around an inch with 100 TTSXs. When I started loading Ramshot Hunter at .060 off lands, it became a .6" shooter.

BTW, give those 80 TTSX a try, also. Mine shoots bug holes and has dropped 2 whitetails in their shadows.

OP
robtattoo

robtattoo

WKR
Resurrecting an old thread, I know.

robtattoo , any good news to report as far as tightening up your 257R?

I have a Montana that was shooting right around an inch with 100 TTSXs. When I started loading Ramshot Hunter at .060 off lands, it became a .6" shooter.

BTW, give those 80 TTSX a try, also. Mine shoots bug holes and has dropped 2 whitetails in their shadows.

I do have one piece of good news regarding this..... it's somebody else's sodding problem.
I have neither the time nor the patience to mess around with a rifle that just doesn't want to play.
Sometimes you just get a lemon.

I do have one piece of good news regarding this..... it's somebody else's sodding problem.
I have neither the time nor the patience to mess around with a rifle that just doesn't want to play.
Sometimes you just get a lemon.
Sorry to hear. Once you get them on the right diet they're a real pleasure to tote afield. Better luck with your next project.

My dad has a Ruger Hawkeye in .257 Bob and I reloaded him some 80gr TTSX. I used 47.5 of H4350 and he absolutely loves it. He's take two very sizable white-tailed deer (corn fed Nebraska). They are laser beams. This comes.from a guy who SWORE nothing under 100gr was appropriate for deer. He's sold forever and had me load 50 more rounds for him.

He shot a coyote and dropped it with minila damage.

He doesn't hunt pronghorn but it would be amazing on them.