.243 under 200 yards?

Rich M

WKR
What ammo are you guys using in 243?

I've been shooting federal blue box 100 gr spire point and getting lousy terminal performance.

I bought a 6.8mm upper for my AR for my son to legally hunt.

Low recoil and a pretty darn effective bullet.

______
that's another cartridge i'm going to look into for my daughter. I need to do some more comparisons, it's been awhile, but I may have her a rifle built if that is the direction I go.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I'd also suggest 6 Creedmoor.
Can get factory loads in a little heavier weights 105s.
Little more punch and not much recoil.
Plus I think the factory ammo offerings your gonna get a more accurate rifle.
@Ryan Avery
Post up that slayer shot your daughter made with the 6cm

It's Actually @Jim Carr's daughter.

Beendare

WKR
that's another cartridge i'm going to look into for my daughter. I need to do some more comparisons, it's been awhile, but I may have her a rifle built if that is the direction I go.

The 6.8 is essentially a .243...similar ballistics. If you own the AR platform, you can order the upper to your doorstep UPS....no licensing even here in CA [or at least it used to be that way, it might have changed in the last couple years]

Swapping uppers; 2 bolts, 6.8 mags and you are up and running. It ends up a little heavier than a comparable .243 bolt action rifle...but the recoil is practically nothing. FYI, 6.8 ammo is fairly expensive and not a lot of options like in .243.

My son dumped a pretty good size hog with it, one shot....seems like a pretty effective cartridge at distances under 200 yds....but FYI, I have limited experience, haven't seen a lot of game killed with it.

_______

OP
B

brsnow

WKR
I am going to give him my 6.5 CM and I think I will pick myself up a 6.5 prc. My daughters can use the 6.5 cm, it is light but still manageable.. Appreciate the help

The 6.8 is essentially a .243...similar ballistics. If you own the AR platform, you can order the upper to your doorstep UPS....no licensing even here in CA [or at least it used to be that way, it might have changed in the last couple years]

Swapping uppers; 2 bolts, 6.8 mags and you are up and running. It ends up a little heavier than a comparable .243 bolt action rifle...but the recoil is practically nothing. FYI, 6.8 ammo is fairly expensive and not a lot of options like in .243.

My son dumped a pretty good size hog with it, one shot....seems like a pretty effective cartridge at distances under 200 yds....but FYI, I have limited experience, haven't seen a lot of game killed with it.

_______
I do have an AR but I was thinking of really going off the rails and having her a bolt rifle built. the lack of ammo options is kind of a bummer. maybe I will buy myself a 6.5creed with a suppressor and let her use it 😉

most of that choice will be up to her and the initiative she takes. if she gets serious, I will probably have her one built to her liking and specs.... if she just hunts on the good days when I cherry pick them for her to have action and low output, i'll buy a gun that she can easily use.

I do like the idea of the 6.8 though, and have done some research on it. not a cartridge that really caught on, but seems like a cool youth cartridge

OP
B

brsnow

WKR
good plan, that works for everyone. any idea on the rifle yet?

not sure, if CA Mesa was at published weight I would go that route. Leaning towards x-bolt hell’s canyon speed. I have had great luck with a .308 x-bolt. Want 6.5lb or under if possible. Probably smarter to get another fieldcraft, maybe a .270 and call it good:)

Last edited:
2 buddies got the Hell's Canyon speed in 6.5creed, they seem like a really nice rifle. they are nicer in person than I expected, very nice balance.

unless you are anti savage, may be worth waiting until the 110 ultralite hits stores, they offer the PRC and on paper, that rifle looks like the best deal going in firearms.

street price should be around 1300, with a factory blue printed action and proof barrel.

OP
B

brsnow

WKR
2 buddies got the Hell's Canyon speed in 6.5creed, they seem like a really nice rifle. they are nicer in person than I expected, very nice balance.

unless you are anti savage, may be worth waiting until the 110 ultralite hits stores, they offer the PRC and on paper, that rifle looks like the best deal going in firearms.

street price should be around 1300, with a factory blue printed action and proof barrel.

I am no gun snob and that savage looks nice:) not sure I am fancy enough for carbon barrel, but I am going to hold off until they are available. Sounds like an ideal set up.

I am no gun snob and that savage looks nice:) not sure I am fancy enough for carbon barrel, but I am going to hold off until they are available. Sounds like an ideal set up.
i'm gonna make myself a guinea pig when they become available. seems like a no brainer to me at that price.

I have been around a couple savage rifles lately (and bought my wife a lightweight storm) and they shoot as good as any factory rifle. the adjustable stock, blueprinted action and proof barrel, I expect a lightweight performer.

I was looking at a fieldcraft, Kimber MA, or a Christensen, but I feel the savage will be better than those options, and cheaper. if they are available, i'm buying one early summer

OP
B

brsnow

WKR
i'm gonna make myself a guinea pig when they become available. seems like a no brainer to me at that price.

I have been around a couple savage rifles lately (and bought my wife a lightweight storm) and they shoot as good as any factory rifle. the adjustable stock, blueprinted action and proof barrel, I expect a lightweight performer.

I was looking at a fieldcraft, Kimber MA, or a Christensen, but I feel the savage will be better than those options, and cheaper. if they are available, i'm buying one early summer

I am as well,you sold me! I already put a request in for one this afternoon.

I like the 6.5 as well but I think your fine with .243 in those ranges. Also that caliber might be more versatile for predator and deer. And like you said your kids can grow into it.

I'd skip the 243 and go right to the 6.5. Low recoil, little more oomph. And no way would I put a brake on it. The recoil is easy as is and adding a brake would blow your ears off