243 Scope Suggestions

No reason to buy a $1000 optic for a reliable deer getter. I just purchased a leupold vx freedom and I think it’s very nice for the money. Burris also has my attention for bang for the buck hunting optics

So there is a whole forum on drop testing of scopes to test their ability to hold zero. Most of these are scopes that are dialers that are directed at long range use that isn’t suitable for something like an old 99. What you can take away from that is the fact that any scope you get fro Leupold, Vortex, Bushnell, etc. will likely lose zero if knocked around or even if the just ride around in a truck or ATV. It’s sad, but that’s the state of the scope industry today. If you want something that is reliable that is a set and forget, non-dialer, look at Trijicon for the 3-9 Credo (30 mm tube) or Accupoint (1” tube). SWFA has an ultralight 2.5-10 scope with a 1” tube that also seems to be reliable, but isn’t particularly useable at the top magnification. Anything else is pretty likely to fail you. If it were me, I’d get the Accupoint 3-9 with an illuminated mil-dot reticle for hold-overs and wind. If you don’t want that reticle, triangle or a standard crosshair. The Trijicon site makes it look like the illuminated dots on the crosshair and mildot reticlas are huge. They aren’t, and won’t cause you any issues at daylight or dusk. The triangle reticle is pretty big and obscures a lot of your target.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your old 99. I sold mine because she walked shots high and right significantly as the barrel heated. But they are great guns if you find one that doesn’t do that.

My Leopold primary arms and my burris scopes have never lost zero on me riding around in a truck a boat a tractor 4 wheeler or on the side of a horse riding for 15 miles in a day.

Back