243 for Bear????

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shot a few with a 6CM with 108eld-m's

8d3c2e5d482fdc924a9772e6045fc519.jpg

Big_wals

Lil-Rokslider
Shot mine last fall with a 95 berger vld. Around 200 yards on a decent sized sow. She made it about 30 yards and piled up. Very quick kill

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Stay away from a shoulder shot. Aim behind the shoulder. 243 is plenty of gun
Why? You don't think a 243 would make it through a black bear's shoulder? My wife shot a bear a few years back with a 108 ELD-M the bullet went through the bear and then went all the way through a steel bait barrel.

I occasionally get the opportunity to do ballistics tests on dead cows. I put a .243 partition through a 300# dead Holstein at about 100 yards. I have other rifles I'd rather do it with but the right bullets in a 243 wouldn't stop me.

I wouldn’t have even a tiny bit of hesitation shooting a bear with a 243. I wouldn’t personally shoot a really hard bullet or mono, (but that goes with any cartridge for bear) but besides that, I think it would be a great bear cartridge.

I’m plotting on a 6mm of some sort, and when that happens I will kill a bear with it that year, I like shooting stuff with new guns

CMF

WKR
Haven't shot bear yet, but not a big fan of 243. The last two whitetails my wife shot(95grain) they didn't get a pass-thru and had little blood. I can get a 120-grain lite recoil hornady or even a 130grn for a 270 and barely have any more recoil. I only have the gun cause my fil got it for the kids, but I bring the 270 first and only use it if two of them are hunting at the same time. I think it's obvious by the other post that it will do the job most times, but what about when the shot ain't so great?

And like Jbehredt said, make sure the twist will shoot the heavier bullet. The very first gun I bought my daughter at 5 was a 243 Rossi and it would not shoot heavy bullets.

SwiftShot

WKR
It will work, just get a good bullet. Most people that have trouble with a caliber it usually comes down to bullet.

DosAmigos

FNG
Why? You don't think a 243 would make it through a black bear's shoulder? My wife shot a bear a few years back with a 108 ELD-M the bullet went through the bear and then went all the way through a steel bait barrel.
I’m not saying it won’t penetrate. Bear vitals are little further back than normal.