224, 204 or 22Nosler

I’m shopping around for a new coyote and bobcat rifle. I like my bolt guns and I understand that 22 Nosler and 224 Valkyrie are pretty much only available in AR platform, which is no big deal

Minimal fur damage is important to me and all shots will be about 250 yards or less, realistically more like 150 yards or less. For the time being I will be shooting factory ammo so please consider that when making your recommendations. Maybe down the road I will become a loader

B23

WKR
For the most part, I think fur damage is more dictated by bullet type than which caliber/cartridge it's being shot from. Taking that in to consideration and based on your criteria IMO a standard 223 would be your best option.

A 223 maybe doesn't have the same "cool" factor as some of the other cartridges but it'll offer not only the most options in different rifles but ammo too.

OP
S
For the most part, I think fur damage is more dictated by bullet type than which caliber/cartridge it's being shot from. Taking that in to consideration and based on your criteria IMO a standard 223 would be your best option.

A 223 maybe doesn't have the same "cool" factor as some of the other cartridges but it'll offer not only the most options in different rifles but ammo too.
Valid feedback. I appreciate that. I would also agree with your statement about bullet selection.

Bullet type, velocity, and twist rate all play a role in fur damage. I’ve shot a few bobcats with a 30-378 Weatherby and there was less damage then some of the coyotes I’ve killed with a 22-250.

Like suggested above it would be hard to beat the 223 for your application.

OP
S
Appreciate the help guys. I’m new to the fur hunting game so please recommend some good factory 223 ammo and even some rifles in regards to twist rates. Hopefully I’ll get something out together here in the next few weeks

I don’t use a 223 since I shoot longer distances. But if I was going to buy one I would look at a Tikka. And I would try the Superformance ammo with the 53 grain Vmax.

bcrow3

FNG
I agree with everything everyone has said and have had good luck with both the 53 grain vmax and the fiocchi's. I've also had a cz in .204 for over a decade now and absolutely love it. All of my shots have been under 300 yards and very minimal fur damage. Best part is the recoil is light enough you can see your hits in your scope.

Pursuer

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t reload I wouldn’t recommend the 22 nosler or the 224 valkyrie. It was tough enough to find ammo before Covid for those, let alone now.

Tberg

Lil-Rokslider
I like my 222rem and 40-50gr Speer TNT or Vmax. Also have a 204ruger and the 32gr are good on Fox and bobcats. Most bobcats are likely going to be closer shots in my experience. The 222 and a moderate load under the 40gr are as fur friendly as it gets, but you need to reload. You can load the 223 down to 222 and even 22hornet velocities. there are several old yman manuals online that can get you some reduced load data. See if you can find and old BDL in 222rem on a used gun rack, cool factor is X10 imo!

WCB

WKR
get a .223. The Federal 50gr hollow point is great shooting and easy on pelts. I personally have better luck with them than the V-max bullets. Depends on what you are looking for in a rifle but just a Ruger American or similar would be more than enough. Do a custom paint job on it and your choice of optic and call it good.

Rowdy99

FNG
204 with a 35 gr berger or a 40 gr v max in the chest has always resulted in very minimal fur damage for me

224V doesn’t make much sense in a bolt gun over 223, 22 Nosler has a pretty crappy ammo selection, and 204 Ruger will wreck a bobcat hide.

Straight 223 is absolutely perfect for your application but most of the varmint bullets are still going to tear up a bobcat. I started running Barnes copper for fur hunting about 5 years ago and have no intention to change. Even on small foxes and bobcats you just get a caliber size in and dime size exit. They cost a little more money but are worth it several times over for how little fur damage they do.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I would throw my hat in the ring for .223. It’s a great round ammo is relatively cheap and very plentiful. Currently going to throw together a little tikka compact lite in .223, then chop the barrel down even more to 16” and thread it for a suppressor, put it in a stockys carbon fiber stock, and throw an ultra light 2-10 scope on it. Will be a super fun little varmit gun

22 Nosler has advantage over the valkyrie out too 300 imo. It is the ultimate for coyotes thus far in factory offerings in the AR 15 platform. The valkyrie is designed to shoot long high bc bullets which will result in lower speeds and a less flat trajectory at night calling ranges. The 22 Nosler is basically as flat as any of the fast centerfire varmint cartridges when shooting varmint weight bullets. Fast, flat dead on hold to 225 is how coyotes are killed with thermal. Everything the valkyrie gains is at distances and wind conditions that a bullets bc matters in. Bc doesnt come into play night hunting with thermal. Speed wins. I had a few runners with some behind the shoulder hits eatlier this winter but after moving my shot placement up into the should my 22 Nosler has been an absolute death ray. Im shooting 55 bts at 3500 plus and it has been great on fur as well. If you want to just build a new toy build a 6x6.8.

22 Nosler has advantage over the valkyrie out too 300 imo. It is the ultimate for coyotes thus far in factory offerings in the AR 15 platform. The valkyrie is designed to shoot long high bc bullets which will result in lower speeds and a less flat trajectory at night calling ranges. The 22 Nosler is basically as flat as any of the fast centerfire varmint cartridges when shooting varmint weight bullets. Fast, flat dead on hold to 225 is how coyotes are killed with thermal. Everything the valkyrie gains is at distances and wind conditions that a bullets bc matters in. Bc doesnt come into play night hunting with thermal. Speed wins. I had a few runners with some behind the shoulder hits eatlier this winter but after moving my shot placement up into the should my 22 Nosler has been an absolute death ray. Im shooting 55 bts at 3500 plus and it has been great on fur as well. If you want to just build a new toy build a 6x6.8.
I love my 22 nos

Attachments

• 20221209_120829.jpg
    20221209_120829.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221209_120904.jpg
    20221209_120904.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 17