223 vs 22CM

OP
NateTP38

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Other than easy factory ammo, there is nothing I would use a 6.5cm for (which is every animal in NA at to a minimum of 600 yards for me) that a 22CM wouldn’t also do. And, it will do it with way less recoil, less wind drift, higher retained impact velocity, and higher hit rates. The 6.5 CM is an excellent choice due to manageable recoil, widely available world class factory ammo and rifles chambered correctly for it.
Makes sense. Where does the 223 fit into that equation? Still every animal in NA, but shorter maximum range?

id_jon

WKR
Highly available factory ammo and while in reality it doesn’t make much difference, most are more comfortable on elk at distance with the 6.5cm, even though the 22CM with correct bullets has a longer terminal range.
That basically equates to a "no" for me personally then lol. I'll probably keep it until I'm out of my accrued ammo and reloading components. I'm sure it will find some role as it is 11.5lbs with can/optic/loaded mag, and I'm shooting for roughly 9.5s for the same thing with my 22cm. A few Kraft drills will likely tell me more about what I want to do with it.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
That's what I thought. And that describes my exact scenario. I'll wait for a 223.

Unless you are shooting a thousand plus rounds a year in practice, there is no real downside to the 22CM. It has more recoil, but it is below the real threshold of shootability.

OP
NateTP38

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you are shooting a thousand plus rounds a year in practice, there is no real downside to the 22CM. It has more recoil, but it is below the real threshold of shootability.
Gotcha. Do you prefer 88 ELD-Ms or 77 TMKs out of the 22CM?

BAKPAKR

WKR
That's what I thought. And that describes my exact scenario. I'll wait for a 223.
Fellow lefty here. Before you decide to wait for a left hand Tikka 223, have you confirmed that Beretta is actually planning on importing that configuration? I know left hand T3s in 223 were imported, but I have never seen a LH T3X in 223 available in the states.

OP
NateTP38

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
Fellow lefty here. Before you decide to wait for a left hand Tikka 223, have you confirmed that Beretta is actually planning on importing that configuration? I know left hand T3s in 223 were imported, but I have never seen a LH T3X in 223 available in the states.
I have not. I believe I've seen stainless LH 223 T3Xs before, but I could be mistaken. It seems like it might only be available in a CTR now, though. Honestly my preference would be to find a LH 223 bolt and then just buy a prefit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Gotcha. Do you prefer 88 ELD-Ms or 77 TMKs out of the 22CM?

Depends on the task. The TMK features an ideal wound profile for most uses; the 88’s have less wind drift and a better wound profile at long (past 500-600y) ranges.

The 88gr ELD-M is just wicked at 3,200fps. It’s a 26 Nosler with less recoil than a 243.

@Formidilosus

What is your experience with short barreled 22CM’s? I am curious what velocity I could get in an 18”, 20” or 22” with 77 TMK, 80.5 Berger or 88 ELDm’s. Would be shot with a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2. I would assume that sound would still be hearing safe as my 22” 7 Sherman Short is awesome suppressed.

Thanks
Steve

OP
NateTP38

NateTP38

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the task. The TMK features an ideal wound profile for most uses; the 88’s have less wind drift and a better wound profile at long (past 500-600y) ranges.

The 88gr ELD-M is just wicked at 3,200fps. It’s a 26 Nosler with less recoil than a 243.
I assume they both shoot well out of 1-7 twist barrels?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus

What is your experience with short barreled 22CM’s? I am curious what velocity I could get in an 18”, 20” or 22” with 77 TMK, 80.5 Berger or 88 ELDm’s. Would be shot with a TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2. I would assume that sound would still be hearing safe as my 22” 7 Sherman Short is awesome suppressed.

Thanks
Steve

You lose 20-30fps per inch. That’s across every cartridge and every bullet at realistic barrel lengths (16+ inch).

I assume they both shoot well out of 1-7 twist barrels?
Yes.

sndmn11

WKR
A 223 would absolutely be all I need. The idea of looking at a 22CM is less about advantages, and more about the fact that I can buy a prefit now, but I have no idea when a LH 223 will come in stock (or a bolt to convert my 7-08l.

I'm wondering if the cons of the 22CM (more recoil, less availability, faster barrel burnout) are worth not having to wait.
22BR

id_jon

WKR
@Formidilosus

Thanks
Steve
Form already answered, but i've seen multiple reports of 3050-3100 fps with 88s from a 16", that's what sold me on it.

PNWGATOR

WKR
The biggest advantage to a .223 is learning to be a rifleman and killing efficiently in field conditions. Little recoil. Affordability. Predictable wind bracket. Devastating wound channels. Readily available.

The proper bullet, paired with the proper delivery system, paired with proper, purposeful, practice delivers results.

Last edited:
The 22CM isn’t a replacement for the fast twist 223; it’s a replacement for nearly everything bigger. If people saw how a fast .224 kills with 88gr ELD-M’s or the 77gr TMK, as well as the ridiculous hits rates in the field with it, there’s really no reason for bigger calibers/cartridges for the vast majority of uses.
What is the furthest you would take a big game animal with a 22 CM shooting 88gr eldms?

id_jon

WKR
Form, do you have experience with either the 90gr VLD or the 85.5 LR Hybrid?