223 trainer

Appreciate your candor here. I’m in the situation where I do not have a .223 but am leaning heavily toward buying one. My 7 REM Mag is expensive to shoot and I also like to let it cool down between groups. I don’t plan to just totally hang up the 7 REM Mag, but it’s becoming prohibitive to shoot on a consistent basis.

So, with that said, what rifle would you buy to add to your safe? My 7 REM Mag is perfect for all the game I hunt so another “hunting” rifle isn’t really necessary. I own a .22 LR lever action but I will say it’s definitely not the right gun to learn fundamentals for shots past 100yds. Also, the fact that .223 can be found everywhere, even during shortages, is a big plus as well.

-RadDad

I still think 223 is still a good option if you're not getting another hunting gun. The only shortcoming is you're not going to learn as much in regards to recoil management. Just don't abandon practicing with the 7rm completely in positional stuff.

cmahoney

WKR
I still think 223 is still a good option if you're not getting another hunting gun. The only shortcoming is you're not going to learn as much in regards to recoil management. Just don't abandon practicing with the 7rm completely in positional stuff.

You is generic....

First, preferable the practice rifle is the same make and model as the primary hunting rifle. This will continue to allow you to develop muscle memory. Not good training on rifle X when the layout/mechanics of rifle Y are different. Got burned once by having a different safety on a practice rifle than my hunting rifle.

Second, the practice rifle should allow you to work fundamentals, practice shooting in the wind, try different positions, etc at a lower price and less thumping of your shoulder.

Third, you still need to include your hunting rifle(s) into your range sessions. Not necessarily round for round but enough to keep you familiar. And for the non-SWFA/Trijicon/NF scopes to ensure the scope works.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the fact I regularly end up shooting with my wife’s girlfriends or newish shooters in general and I can grab the 223 bolt gun, AR with 22 conversion, and a pistol and only grab two ammo types to shoot all 3 guns. The bolt gun is very similar to my 308 so the wife can shoot it over and over with the cheapest ammo I can find and I don’t wince at my reloading time going down the drain. I’m new at dialing in general and this lets me dial quite a bit.

OP
Mangata

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Discovered that I can drop my 308 Vanguard in a XLR chassis. May consider this option as a trainer. Same platform, cheaper & better ammo availability. Consider this a win???

colby12

WKR
For an inexpensive gun that if I had to guess, will shoot look at the Ruger American Predator .223. 1:8 twist. I’ve got two other calibers in that gun and they both shoot well and I don’t feel bad throwing them behind the seat.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
For an inexpensive gun that if I had to guess, will shoot look at the Ruger American Predator .223. 1:8 twist. I’ve got two other calibers in that gun and they both shoot well and I don’t feel bad throwing them behind the seat.
Yeah that’s on the short list. Will allow me some extra cash for glass as well.

-RadDad