.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Shotgunman28

FNG
Classified Approved
Look at that entrance wound. If the details of this story are accurate, that bullet hit something in front of the animal and was already VERY expanded by the time it hit the hide

I’ve had a similar experience with the Swift bullets. Few years ago I shot a huge white tail doe at about 40 yards with a 30.06, huge golf ball size entrance hole, huge golf ball size exit with lungs on the ground of the opposite side. She ran about 50 yards jumping into a ditch in the woods and slid, looked like a slip an slide of blood! Ridiculous amount of damage. Had video and photos on an old galaxy phone I used to have sadly I don’t have it anymore. Most damage I’ve ever seen on an animal besides some coyotes I’ve recently shot with 88 ELDX.
The swift are crazy bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
It’s interesting to you that small caliber and fragmenting bullets are being advocated and your post with a big caliber and fragmenting bullets supports this is a bad idea?
Not trying to start an argument but just thought this was interesting. Close range shot With a Hornady sst from a 7 rem mag only made it into 1 long after a close range shot on an elk. Woukd be interesting to see some better pictures with the hide off and inside the cavity

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
Went back this morning with a scale. 280 lbs.
Dang! I was hoping you would break the 300# mark! We have shot sever hogs in the 280# up to 296#. Absolute monsters! We have never broken the 300# mark in our family. That is a great hog for sure. Same shot placement we had on our hogs. But ours were more dead since we used a 308! :)

Keep the pictures rolling. We love to see them!

Not trying to start an argument but just thought this was interesting. Close range shot With a Hornady sst from a 7 rem mag only made it into 1 long after a close range shot on an elk. Woukd be interesting to see some better pictures with the hide off and inside the cavity

Not sure I buy it.

Who uses kilometers in the U.S.?

P

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
Look at that entrance wound. If the details of this story are accurate, that bullet hit something in front of the animal and was already VERY expanded by the time it hit the hide

Or “slightly” quartering really means hard quartered. We’ll never know, but my money is on the angle being much steeper than they thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Felix40

WKR
Tyler Freel shot his moose this year with a 22 ARC and 88 ELDm. He's doing good work bringing some of these ideas that run contrary to conventional wisdom to the masses with outdoor life.
Did he do an article on it? He needs to get it together and put out a podcast about it. Can’t wait to hear about it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Quartering to shot that appears to be in the crease and surprised one lung was hit.

Obviously not there and lack of details but my reaction would be that a quartering to shot that far back could lead to a single lung hit with many bullets.

Easy to blame the bullet I guess.

Shraggs

WKR
Quartering to shot that appears to be in the crease and surprised one lung was hit.

Obviously not there and lack of details but my reaction would be that a quartering to shot that far back could lead to a single lung hit with many bullets.

I was thought same thing, was just waiting on poster to answer before pointing out sone if these things

I’ve never seen an entrance wound that looked like that, even on hard quartering shots. The ones I’ve seen have been either a caliber sized hole or much more of a “slash” if it’s really an extreme angle.
This just looks like an exit wound- which is why my money is on false information in the Facebook post or the bullet hit something and expanded/tumbled before it hit the elk.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’ve never seen an entrance wound that looked like that, even on hard quartering shots. The ones I’ve seen have been either a caliber sized hole or much more of a “slash” if it’s really an extreme angle.
This just looks like an exit wound- which is why my money is on false information in the Facebook post or the bullet hit something and expanded/tumbled before it hit the elk.
I could see a bullet deflecting off the blade too if it was an extreme angle. Light sst in a 7 mag is probably moving. Iv seen holes like that from 22 cal at 3k close range where they super almost immediately.

I’m fairly leery of any quartering to shot that I can put in the brisket or point of the shoulder (on deer)

Thegman

WKR
Ok, how do you know? Did you put a 223 into the vitals of a charging pig to no effect?

Or is this the margin of error argument where a marginal shot with a .30 would have done the job?
Yes, as mentioned, joking.

Big_wals, great hog! I imagine a boar like that is pretty much inedible??

Thegman

WKR
I'm not sure it's really worth considering posts like these too much.

The guy starts with doubting the SST and then proves it with the scenario. Not that there is anything wrong with his other bullet recommendations, but the SST is perfectly capable of routinely killing elk.

Also strange they're shooting from a round bale (in a hay field?) and in a "short distance" the bull is in thick poplar. I guess? Maybe? Who knows?

Like others have said, probably a lot more to this story, if not a complete fabrication.

Big_wals

WKR
Yes, as mentioned, joking.

Big_wals, great hog! I imagine a boar like that is pretty much inedible??
Yeah people say the big boars aren’t as good, but honestly if you make it into sausage and add some pork fat and trimmings from a butcher, they still taste just fine. When we lived in Idaho and come down here to visit my in-laws I would save the meat from every pig I could get. Now that we’re living here, I am a little more picky about only eating sows or young boars, but it’s only because we shoot way more than we can eat.

Thegman

WKR
Yeah people say the big boars aren’t as good, but honestly if you make it into sausage and add some pork fat and trimmings from a butcher, they still taste just fine. When we lived in Idaho and come down here to visit my in-laws I would save the meat from every pig I could get. Now that we’re living here, I am a little more picky about only eating sows or young boars, but it’s only because we shoot way more than we can eat.
Good to know. I've only eaten a sow, shoat, and young boar, but they were all very good. The locals don't eat them much in OK where I go, but what I've had has been great. It's the only meat I'll bother bringing back home to AK, anything else fills my neighbor's freezer. The pork is a nice change up from what we have here.

Bowfinn

FNG
Just snagged a stainless Tikka 223 for $757-$75 rebate = $682 out the door from Euro Optic:

I should have a Carbon Six 223AI pre-fit coming towards the end of the year and don't want to be without a regular ol' trusty 223 Rem.
My views on caliber has been changing due to this forum over the past year, and your post pushed me over the edge. Now I need to find some TMKs.

Gorp2007

WKR
My views on caliber has been changing due to this forum over the past year, and your post pushed me over the edge. Now I need to find some TMKs.