.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Temporary stretch cavity. The tissue that is forever gradually outward by the passage of the bullet, but then generally returns back into place. I.E., “temporary”. With fragmenting bullets and bullets with sufficient impact velocity, part of the TC is permanently damaged and becomes apart of the permanent wound cavity.
What does the wound from a 73 ELDM look like at 2750 fps versus 1800 fps? Does it create a good wound cavity at 1800 fps?

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I am interested in what the 73gr ELDM does at lower velocity as well.

I picked up a T3X Stainless Superlite .223...for the kids of course as I already have a T3X Lite .223....might need a backup.

Last edited:

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
This was a larg sow. I would guess each side was more than 250 lbs and she was probably over 700 lbs on the hoof (the guys little Kabota tractor almost couldn't lift her and he said the loader was rated to 1200 lbs, so she might have been bigger).

I used the standard 22 shot placement and the 223 with 77 TMK on her as I wanted no drama given there was an even bigger bore in the pen (I'll probably be putting him down later).

It was an instant drop with little twitching. The damage was less impressive than the last one, but I found the base of the bullet in her jaw and the jacket still had some lead in it again.

Tip of the knife is on the entrance.
20240902_121745.jpg

You can see where the base of the skull fractured.
20240902_121611.jpg

20240902_121944.jpg20240902_123007.jpg

I forgot to take pictures after cutting the skull in half on this one. The brain was mush, I could get my finger in the exit hole on the skull, but entrance was only slightly larger than about 0.4 inches in diameter and I could not pull the bone apart with my hands this time.

Attachments

• 20240902_121644.jpg
    20240902_121644.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

atmat

WKR
This was a larg sow. I would guess each side was more than 250 lbs and she was probably over 700 lbs on the hoof (the guys little Kabota tractor almost couldn't lift her and he said the loader was rated to 1200 lbs, so she might have been bigger.

I used the standard 22 shot placement and the 223 with 77 TMK on her as I wanted no drama given there was an even bigger bore in the pen (I'll probably be putting him down later).

It was an instant drop with little twitching. The damage was less impressive than the last one, but I found the base of the bullet in her jaw and the jacket still had dome lead in it again.

Tip of the knife is on the entrance.
View attachment 760473

You can see were the base of the skull fractured.
View attachment 760475

View attachment 760472View attachment 760471

I forgot to tak pictures after cutting the skull in half on this one. The brain was mush, I could get my finger in the exit hole on the skull, but entrance was only slightly larger than only about 0.4 inches in diameter and I could not pull the bone apart with my hands this time.
These are great, thank you for sharing!

Thegman

WKR
Got to try the 77TMK on moose tonight. Spike bull, but still probably about the size of a typical bull elk (?).

Behind the shoulder shot. Hit was a little high but took out lungs and he dropped at the shot (around 70 yards). Muzzle velocity is around 2,730, so probably around 2560ish impact velocity.
20240906_185421.jpg

Far side. Only a small jacket fragment found there.
20240906_193336.jpg

Body cavity and lungs.
20240906_204408.jpg

20+ years ago, my first moose with a 308 dropped the same way (very similar hit), but in 25 or so moose, this is the only other non-cns shot where I've had a moose drop instantly.

Got to try the 77TMK on moose tonight. Spike bull, but still probably about the size of a typical bull elk (?).

Behind the shoulder shot. Hit was a little high but took out lungs and he dropped at the shot (around 70 yards). Muzzle velocity is around 2,730, so probably around 2560ish impact velocity.

Body cavity and lungs.

20+ years ago, my first moose with a 308 dropped the same way (very similar hit), but in 25 or so moose, this is the only other non-cns shot where I've had a moose drop instantly.
Great info! Congrats on the meat!

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Learn something new. Hornady's app says 1.23 gyro. That's even worse than Berger's twist calculator.
I have used stuff at close range with a 1.0 gyro and it shoots tiny. At long range, I have had stuff fall apart that isn't 1.3 or above. Higher is way better for bc consistency. In very fast cartridges with heavy bullets, you can start popping bullets without riding the edge. For data, I tried some 80 eldm in a button barrel that was supposed to be 8 twist, but turned out to be 1:8.4". They no worky! Even in hot weather the target looked like I was patterning a shotgun. That same barrel will shoot 75 bthp under 1 moa for 10 shots.

xsn10s

WKR
I have used stuff at close range with a 1.0 gyro and it shoots tiny. At long range, I have had stuff fall apart that isn't 1.3 or above. Higher is way better for bc consistency. In very fast cartridges with heavy bullets, you can start popping bullets without riding the edge. For data, I tried some 80 eldm in a button barrel that was supposed to be 8 twist, but turned out to be 1:8.4". They no worky! Even in hot weather the target looked like I was patterning a shotgun. That same barrel will shoot 75 bthp under 1 moa for 10 shots.
Yup that's what I was wondering will happen to me in cold weather. So far at 800 yards it seems to be holding up. When I get out to some private cattle ranches I'll test them out on yotes. And hopefully at some longer distances. I have a decent 75gr ELDM load already which dumped a badger at 496 yards with my AR. The same load works well in the Vanguard. I'm trying out these 80gr ELDM's because i got a good sale through my distributor.

BLJ

WKR

View attachment 760771

View attachment 760772

Body cavity and lungs.
View attachment 760773

What knife? Thanks.

Lawnboi

WKR
Maybe someone knows, because I don’t, but from looking at stability in the Hornady app, stability goes up the further away it goes. I’d that’s the case, and initial groups are good, what would cause increased dispersion at distance with lower stability?

xsn10s

WKR
Maybe someone knows, because I don’t, but from looking at stability in the Hornady app, stability goes up the further away it goes. I’d that’s the case, and initial groups are good, what would cause increased dispersion at distance with lower stability?
That was my impression. But from shooting that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thegman

WKR
What knife? Thanks.
That's an EKA Fishblade. It's Ike an EKA Swing blade but with a fillet type blade. For general field dressing, I like the fillet type blades better than the "skinning" type blades.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
That’s awesome. It still just blows me away the damage that little bullet does.