.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
That looks good but are there any FFP scopes under 1500.00 that have can be used at lower powers for older guys?
Though its been answered, I'd strongly recommend the Trijicon Credo HX 1-8. Excellent glass, great holdover reticle, FFP, and it can be illuminted in either green or red. I'm putting one on a 16.5" 223 Pork Sword I'm setting up.

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus

Out of curiosity have you tried or witnessed animals taken with M193?

Does the yaw that is supposed to be so effective on humans translate to usable terminal performance on game?
As Form said, they're iffy. When I was active duty I had the fortune to get to do 4 legged cull kill sweeps on the base every thursday night. We went out with a patrol truck, M4's, and a spotlight and shot any 4 legged critters that could foul up an aircraft during landing or takeoff. We used standard issued FMJ ammo. Killed hundreds of deer, coyotes, and other 4 legged critters. While the wounds weren't ideal we also never lost any animals. But they were also little florida deer, and most of them were well under 100 pounds. But, they were certainly dead after 1 or 2 of them.

Last edited:

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
H4895, xbr, benchmark. I’m not sure on case fill with Viht powders, n540 is supposed to be a velocity beast but not temp stable.
You may want to try StaBall 6.5. Reportedly it's pretty temp stable, and you can get seriously good case fill on it. I use it for 22CM and will also try it in 223.

You may want to try StaBall 6.5. Reportedly it's pretty temp stable, and you can get seriously good case fill on it. I use it for 22CM and will also try it in 223.
Assume staball 6.5 would be a bit slow burning, match would probably be the choice.
As does Unknown Munitions
Yes, if one wants to pay $3/ea $1.45 for real nice 223 ammo. [edit: UM seems like a nice option especially for bolt guns and guys willing to spend $1.50 or more for quality 223.]

Last edited:
Last time I priced UM 223 I thought it was $145 per 100.

That's not $3 per round.

Good correction! I was used to most of their ammo being sold in 50 counts. That is a really good buy actually compared to others at that price especially for people who want them loaded beyond ar mag length.

TOLeary

WKR
@Formidilosus im curious what the next jump up would be in caliber to get into a shoot able rifle for practice and hunting? Is it a 243? I don’t see any issues for hunting with a 223 based off of this thread but Colorado doesn’t allow rifle hunting with it. So looking for a rifle that you can hunt with by each states requirements and also low enough recoil with easy to access ammo (not like a more uncommon caliber) what would that look like?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus im curious what the next jump up would be in caliber to get into a shoot able rifle for practice and hunting? Is it a 243? I don’t see any issues for hunting with a 223 based off of this thread but Colorado doesn’t allow rifle hunting with it. So looking for a rifle that you can hunt with by each states requirements and also low enough recoil with easy to access ammo (not like a more uncommon caliber) what would that look like?

6ARC

Or there is 6 creed it’s got available factory ammo with good bullets And you may be able to find it more readily available.

AndrewD

FNG
Well I read most of this thread last year but I didn't take notes and I don't quite feel like rereading it. I am considering dipping my toes in the .223 hunting world for whitetail this year. When my dad was in his hunting years, he took more than one blacktail with his Mini-14, so aside from this thread, I have trusted evidence that it is a viable caliber.

Long story short, I want a smaller round for hunting whitetail in mountainous timber cuts (50-250 yards). With chronic shoulder issues on both sides, I like the idea of being able to shoot more often with less toll. I have thought a lot about a 6.5CM, but I really like the idea that the lowly .223 is a more than capable round for many situations. I do have a 5.56 AR, but I think I want to stick to bolt-action for hunting, and I really like my wife's 308 Tikka, so a .223 Tikka is at the top of my list.

Not being a handloader, I would appreciate hearing which factory .223 rounds people have had good results with, especially in bolt-actions. I know this is covered in these 300 pages, but a summary on factory rounds would be great.

Drenalin

WK.R
Not being a handloader, I would appreciate hearing which factory .223 rounds people have had good results with, especially in bolt-actions. I know this is covered in these 300 pages, but a summary on factory rounds would be great.
Try this:

Stand 1, Black hills, and AAC all load the 77 TMK in factory ammunition.

Or, the 73 ELD-M is also effective.

atmat

WKR
I’m in your boat and decided on a 223 for practice and a 6creed for hunting.

Barrel life on the 223 is just outstanding, and it’s so cheap to shoot. Was cheaper to just buy two rifles.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
What would be your opinion on the top 3 bullets in the 6 ARC if you hand load. I ask the opinion on top 3 because of availability issues (ie hard to find the 108 eldm right now) editing to include bolt gun, 20” barrel let’s say with 7.5 twist

Last edited:
What would be your opinion on the top 3 bullets in the 6 ARC if you hand load. I ask the opinion on top 3 because of availability issues (ie hard to find the 108 eldm right now)

He's said the 112 match burners upset easily/quickly too so my guess would be that the 105 match burners might be a good fit for 6ARC.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider

He's said the 112 match burners upset easily/quickly too so my guess would be that the 105 match burners might be a good fit for 6ARC.
Appreciate that and appreciate the link - maybe not so hard to find afterall

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
What would be your opinion on the top 3 bullets in the 6 ARC if you hand load. I ask the opinion on top 3 because of availability issues (ie hard to find the 108 eldm right now) editing to include bolt gun, 20” barrel let’s say with 7.5 twist

103gr ELD-X, 108/109gr ELD-M, 105 and 112gr Barnes MatchBurner, etc. there’s a bunch that work well.