.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

How was the internal damage? I'm really curious how the 75gr gold dot compares to the 77gr TMK.
I don't gut them anymore, but there was significant blood trauma at the entry. The Gold Dot is a barrier blind bullet so it's not as destructive as the TMK but it'll kill'em.

I like the look of that gun, is it a sporter barrel on a ctr?
how does the 223 feed from those magazines
It's a T3x lite with a CTR stock. The magazine I have feeds okay. Need to experiment more but I believe the MDT AICS I've modified to fit might feed better with these magazine length loads.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Hornady 75gr BTHP factory ammo to good effect. I have taken mule deer, white tail, and pronghorn with the bullet. All one shot. The bullet behaves similarly to a Berger VLD in flesh.

Lawnboi

WKR
Another mag option for those running longer. Was supposed to be a 10 rounder but got sent a 6…. In the works to get a 10 here from Australia. Not cheap mags that’s for sure but initial impression is it looks good. Fits 2.6” which is way more than I need, and this one feeds my 2.3” practice ammo just fine. Sucker goes in tight! It ain’t falling out it really hangs on once in. This one leaves a hair more case head exposed than factory. Was hoping to use the 10 round mag for a one day match possibly with 75eldm loaded long and not have to reload as much when shooting at prairie dogs.
3A62C0C3-DA3F-4A55-B4C1-3E9B88CFE69D.jpeg

11Justin22

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my contribution to the research. Ruger MPR (18" barrel) at 160 yards . Slightly quarteing towards me. Hit in the shoulder and excited behind the opposite shoulder few inches . Everything in the vitals was jelly except for the heart strangely. It was whole just kinda floating around in there but not attached to anything🤷🤷 weird. Shot his girlfriend at about 80 yards with same results. Both ran about 50 yards. I'm a believer. Also my biggest deer ever. For reference I'm 6'2" 220lbs. Edited to add ammo was black hills 77gr tmk.IMG_20211123_195741.jpg

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
To no one in particular-

You’re pole vaulting over mouse turds. Take a 77gr TMK, put 23.7gr (or 23.5or 23.3gr) of 8208 in a case (any case), with any standard SR primer, seat it to 2.26” COAL, shoot. That’s it. That combo has shot well in every single 223/5.56 we’ve tried it in.
I finally have some 8208 in hand!

BAKPAKR

WKR
Great thread. Thanks for all the data, experiences and photos.

What are the best lead free alternatives to the 77 TMK for those who must go that route?
If you have to go lead-free, try 62 gr Barnes TTSXs. A couple of the quickest deer kills I have seen were with them. I haven’t tried any of the Hammer .224 bullets but I sure like their 30 cal offerings.