.223 for bear, mountain goat, deer, elk, and moose.

Big_wals

WKR
What’s the lowest velocity/longest range have you seen the TMK still “perform adequately”
Another elk. This one at very low impact velocity. 1,440fps impact. 77gr TMK. First shot was through scapula, high lung, second shot back of ribs and broke the spine. Total distance traveled was 30’ish yards.

View attachment 499309

Still upsetting quite well-

View attachment 499310

Almost 200 pages ago in this thread…. My longest has been 342 yards on a deer, out of a 223 the tmk will still perform past the ranges most guys should be shooting them at animals, myself included.

Camv

FNG
I'm using a tikka t3x 1in8 twist.
Stainless but wearing a walnut stock. I'm weird I know, but I would rather scratch a walnut stock than have to use synthetic.

I'm modifying the factory mag to fit the 75 Eldm.
Moose83 you aren't in smithers by some chance are you?

E.Shell

FNG
I'm digging through my powders, looking to use something on hand for 77 TMKs in a 223.

I have a slew of Varget and a bunch of H4895 and IMR4895, which seem to be in the range, but I see most people here are getting relatively low velocities with these.

Found a couple jugs of WC 846, which is said be like BLC2. I have a pile of LC brass, CCI #41 primers and a brand new box of 77s staring at me...

I searched the forum for BLC2 data but didn't see anything specific. Any comments and/or starting data for this powder with 77s in the .223?

Running them through a Ruger American Ranch 5.56 1:8 with AR mags.

Thank you,
Ed

I'm digging through my powders, looking to use something on hand for 77 TMKs in a 223.

I have a slew of Varget and a bunch of H4895 and IMR4895, which seem to be in the range, but I see most people here are getting relatively low velocities with these.

Found a couple jugs of WC 846, which is said be like BLC2. I have a pile of LC brass, CCI #41 primers and a brand new box of 77s staring at me...

I searched the forum for BLC2 data but didn't see anything specific. Any comments and/or starting data for this powder with 77s in the .223?

Thank you,
Ed
I’ve never used blc2 because it’s got a reputation as being noticeably dirtier than other powders. I’m seem to recall it is not temp stable but not positive on that.

SBR Sarge

Lil-Rokslider
Question for Form, or another similarly experienced person (if such a person exists!)…

Will the TTSX expand better than the TSX?

It seems maybe the tip helps the TMK do its job, and I wonder if the same might be said for the tip on the TTSX.

Thanks!

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using a tikka t3x 1in8 twist.
Stainless but wearing a walnut stock. I'm weird I know, but I would rather scratch a walnut stock than have to use synthetic.

I'm modifying the factory mag to fit the 75 Eldm.
Moose83 you aren't in smithers by some chance are you?
Yup, I am. I honestly wouldn't bother modifying the factory mag to fit the 75gr, the 73gr shot way better for me in a factory tikka chamber. The 75's seem way more finicky for seating depth, and the 73's ogive profile more closely matches the 77tmk which is very forgiving. The cheapest way to go I've found here is to shoot hornady 75gr bthp match as a practice round then switch over to the 73 eldm for hunting. As for powders, I've used Imr 4064, leverevolution, and Tac. My 4064 load is very accurate but slow. It's also hard to get into the case without being too crunchy. Leverevolution has given better accuracy in my rifle than Tac.

Big_wals

WKR

Thank you,
Ed
If you do end up using Varget, grab an ASC steel mag. They allow you to seat out to 2.31 coal, gives ya a little more room for powder.

Matt5266

WKR
Question for Form, or another similarly experienced person (if such a person exists!)…

Will the TTSX expand better than the TSX?

It seems maybe the tip helps the TMK do its job, and I wonder if the same might be said for the tip on the TTSX.

Thanks!
My experience with the TSX and TTSX is limited to 30 caliber in my 300 WSM. I was not impressed with either. They penetrated deeply but very minimal expansion. I shot a 6 point bull at 320 yards with the 168 grain TTSX. It was a frontal shot. It went through the brisket all the way to a rear quarter where it was lodged. It basically penciled through. I recovered the bull but after that I switched to 185 Bergers.

Matt5266

WKR
Thanks!

Most all of my Barnes experience is with the 300blk 110 Tax-Tx, which has been great for me. Now I’m looking for similar 5.56 rounds.
I also shoot the 110 Tac tx rounds out of my 300 blackout. They are NOT even close to the performance I've seen from the 168 grain ttsx in my 300 wsm. The 110 tac tx is the best hunting bullet for the 300 blackout I've seen.

Axlrod

WKR

Thank you,
Ed
Here is data for the 4895's and BL-C(2), although "WC 846, which is said be like BLC2" doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy, it's your gun, fingers, etc.
I have had very good results with H4895 in several 223's.

WIDrake

FNG
I also shoot the 110 Tac tx rounds out of my 300 blackout. They are NOT even close to the performance I've seen from the 168 grain ttsx in my 300 wsm. The 110 tac tx is the best hunting bullet for the 300 blackout I've seen.
I love that round out of the blackout. Damage is amazing on organs but meat damage is almost none. I have a hard time switching from that around here cuz I have yet to shoot a deer past 100 yards

Luvda208

FNG
The gold dot/fusion loads are probably what you're looking for. The nosler 64gr bonded seems to be another good performer.
I use a lot of 64gr bonded at work and they are a very balanced performance. Typically hold 90%+ weight through barriers, penetrate well and hold together for a .40-50" mushroom. They dont do anything great but do everything else well enough with no significant downside.