.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

fwafwow

WKR
I’ve purged most of my custom rifles/components, vortex scopes, 30 cal reloading equipment for 2 tikka 223s and a 6.5 cm, with trijicon, SWFA, and NF scopes thanks to the RSD. I need an DfRS now myself.
Is there a good aftermarket for Coopers with cut barrels?

WKR
I’ve purged most of my custom rifles/components, vortex scopes, 30 cal reloading equipment for 2 tikka 223s and a 6.5 cm, with trijicon, SWFA, and NF scopes thanks to the RSD. I need an DfRS now myself.
And you probably think your kit is complete or maybe one piece away.

But then we start talking about ARs being better than tikkas because they have even lower recoil, even faster follow up shots, are better in snow and freezing rain, have better customizable options. Then Hornady comes out with a heavier eldm. And leupold takes a giant leap towards reliable and durable scopes with awesome glass and reticle. It just keeps coming and coming, and then it's publishers clearinghouse day!!!

images.jpeg

Last edited:

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
And you probably think your kit is complete or maybe one piece away.

But then we start talking about ARs being better than tikkas because they have even lower recoil, even faster follow up shots, are better in snow and freezing rain, have better customizable options. Then Hornady comes out with a heavier eldm. And leupold takes a giant leap towards reliable and durable scopes with awesome glass and rereticle. It just keeps coming and coming, and then it's publishers clearinghouse day!!!

View attachment 616459

If the state of Colorado pulled it’s head out of the darkness, the only rifle I would carry is one of my ARs. And for all the reasons you have listed. Dropped a coyote at 280 yards today. Death run for 50 yards and piled up. I would love to shoot some larger game with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 year old son smoked a river bottom whitetail doe today on the MT youth deer hunt. His first deer and our first kill with the Tikka .223, 77gr. TMK. Doe was about 100 yards out. He shot true and the doe launched about 10 yards right into a river channel and died immediately. No tracking, no blood trail.
Really digging this combo and the kids like shooting suppressed with minimal noise and no recoil.

Attachments

• IMG_9899.jpeg
    IMG_9899.jpeg
    753.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9908.jpeg
    IMG_9908.jpeg
    659.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_9911.jpeg
    IMG_9911.jpeg
    400.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_9262.jpeg
    IMG_9262.jpeg
    731.4 KB · Views: 180

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
11 year old son smoked a river bottom whitetail doe today on the MT youth deer hunt. His first deer and our first kill with the Tikka .223, 77gr. TMK. Doe was about 100 yards out. He shot true and the doe launched about 10 yards right into a river channel and died immediately. No tracking, no blood trail.
Really digging this combo and the kids like shooting suppressed with minimal noise and no recoil.

Congrats to your son! 🎊 🎉
Thanks on the pics.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting they already make 224 Valkyrie ammo with 88s and the case capacity will be almost the same. But I’m all for it.

The Guide

WKR
My son and daughter both filled doe tags on the Montana youth season. My son used my 223 with the BH 77tmk at 230 yards. He had second shot (sister had first since he already got first chance on antelope) and took the 2nd doe when she stood after sister shot the first with her Tikka 6.5CM (Hornady Outfitter 120 CX). Shooting down on them feeding below us she hit high shoulder and exited low shoulder. Dropped at the shot. He hit the 2nd doe hard quartering to us, just in front of shoulder through heart, through lungs, through liver, into paunch, caught on far side belly skin after breaking a soft rib.

Low doe 6.5CM, upper doe 223.
20231020_165227.jpg

The 6.5CM did more carcass damage than the 223 did and the 77tmk did more internal damage than the 120 CX did. The hole through the lungs on the 6.5CM deer was small and the heart was undamaged even though it was just inches from the wound channel. Might have to change her out of that ammo and into another load that works spot on in that gun the Berger factory 156 6.5CM.

Jay

Dobermann

WKR
It is a break open single shot made by Blaser, their K95 model. Single shots like this are popular in Europe for stalking, mostly in Central Europe in countries like Germany and Austria where they refer to them as "kipplaufs".
They are light, and accurate, and barrels for different cartridges are fully interchangeable. Their overall length is far shorter than any bolt rifle since they save the length of the action.
Broken down they will fit in a backpack, leaving your hands free, and will fit in a small hardcase, making them very convenient when travelling with them.
I almost don't use any other guns when stalking.
If anyone else is interested in seeing this rifle, check out some of @THLR's recent videos.

jadkins223

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter harvested her first deer tonight. A good doe. Shot was 30 yards and she ran maybe 25 yards. This was the most impressive damage I’ve seen yet from the 77 tmk. Wrecked the heart and lungs. 2800 fps from my 20” AR suppressed. A great youth setup.
ce3f0a6631bf0949d228150c4f440ac7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk