.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

BLJ

WKR
That’s pretty definitive. My 6.5 RA Predator is slow with 147’s too. I just assumed it was a Ruger barrel or chamber situation. Oh well. I think 2560 will work. Thanks for the info.

Dobermann

WKR
You’re not the only one… not one in the U.S.
It seems CTR left hand .223 is the only version being imported. Searches turn up shops in Canada, UK, NZ, etc with T3x lite (ss), but none here in this country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That seems odd - you might want to reach out to Beretta USA to ask what's happening.

I know that Tikka's production and distribution was thrown for six during Covid - my lefty T1X took more than two years to arrive.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up hunting whitetails with a .270 at short ranges (200 yards or less). 6 months ago, I was dead set on buying a 7mm mag to hunt elk this fall because everything I read online taught me that my .270 didnt have enough “knockdown power” for such a large animal at the longer ranges found out west. A friend of mine with far more hunting experience mentioned this thread when he heard I wanted to buy a magnum, and I read the entire thread over the next few weeks.

Against my better judgement, I decided to forego the new magnum and built a rokslide special instead - Tikka T3x in .223, SWFA fixed 6 in Mil/Mil and a suppressor. I told myself this would just be a training rifle so I could get comfortable dialing for long range, as I’d never dialed a scope before. There was no way I’d actually use the little .223 for elk though, that would just be crazy.

I spent the money saved from the magnum on ammo and practice instead, firing about 300 rounds at ranges out to 700 yards in the month leading up to my elk hunt. While this may not seem like much shooting to you all, I grew up with the “3 shots at 100 yards before deer season to make sure the gun is on” method of practice and otherwise never shot my hunting rifle, so this was a vast improvement for me.

Going into the elk hunt, we decided on a max range of 500 yards in perfect weather based on my ability during practice sessions at the range. My Tikka with a 20” barrel and a suppressor keeps the 77 TMK above 1800 FPS out to about 570 yards, so yet again, against my better judgement the Tikka went from a training rifle to my elk hunting rifle because I shot it so much better than any other rifle I owned.

Two days into my first elk hunt, a group of cows came out at about 350 yards and I was able to put 3 solid hits on a cow with the 77g TMK, causing her to go down within about 50 yards of my first shot. Damage was very similar to what others have posted and better than what I was used to seeing with my .270 using Core-Lokt ammunition.

I know this post is long, but I write it in hopes that if others on the fence about what to buy, it will highlight the value of getting a rifle you shoot well and then actually taking the time to practice with it. Thank you all for the wealth of knowledge and advice you provide and know that I will always be grateful you helped steer me away from buying a magnum and likely missing/wounding my first elk.

Attachments

• 807EA497-5A2D-4DBB-97E9-935E5346D183.jpeg
    807EA497-5A2D-4DBB-97E9-935E5346D183.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 190

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up hunting whitetails with a .270 at short ranges (200 yards or less). 6 months ago, I was dead set on buying a 7mm mag to hunt elk this fall because everything I read online taught me that my .270 didnt have enough “knockdown power”
Any pictures of the wounds from 3 rounds? Nice work!

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Any pictures of the wounds from 3 rounds? Nice work!
Unfortunately I don’t have any wound photos as it was getting dark/cold and we wanted to get moving. We used the gutless method so didn’t really see the internal damage. I can tell you externally my first hit was high and behind the shoulder, seemed to go through 1-2 ribs, make a roughly 3” diameter hole and likely destroyed the lungs, though it did not exit. My second hit was where the front shoulder meets the leg, went through the closest “elbow” joint, just above the sternum, destroyed the heart and a portion of the bullet exited and lodged in the far “elbow”. Third hit was unfortunately a bad shot as I rushed it to put her down. Hit her in the rear quarter and that made a roughly golf-ball sized hole in the meat there.

I’ll try to get photos of the rear quarter when I process it if I remember later.

Rooggvc

WKR
88gr ELD-M @ 87y. Impact velocity was ~2910fps.

It was splashy to say the least.

No exit, front shoulder near entrance had noticeable meat loss. Heart and lungs destroyed. He didn’t make it 20y before succumbing.
View attachment 469213
What cartridge are you shooting? I have been looking at the 88 ELDM's. Congrats.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

No exit, front shoulder near entrance had noticeable meat loss. Heart and lungs destroyed. He didn’t make it 20y before succumbing.
View attachment 469213

Out to 700’ish yards, that rifle setup will have one of the highest, if not the highest hit rates of cartridge/bullet combo.

TheUgly

FNG
Out to 700’ish yards, that rifle setup will have one of the highest, if not the highest hit rates of cartridge/bullet combo.
Gun shoots like a dream. Gets great speed out of a 16.5” barrel and is still quite handy with a suppressor. Only thing I’d change is get a lighter contour barrel.

Certainly would’ve liked to try this cartridge/bullet combo out further, but I can’t complain about an 87y shot - That’s automatic.

Will likely switch back to 77gr TMKs out of the .223 for the MN whitetail season. Long range shots on public land are very few and far between here in the thick woods up north.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
Those of you who ordered Factory Seconds… 3 out of 30 that I loaded with shitty lighting on my bench tonight. Didn’t think to look over a small batch before just grabbing out of the bag. Lesson learned. Just look them over before loading. 9A276440-B31B-41E4-A0DD-43DE7610E4DE.jpeg

LimeSpoon

FNG
Those of you who ordered Factory Seconds… 3 out of 30 that I loaded with shitty lighting on my bench tonight. Didn’t think to look over a small batch before just grabbing out of the bag. Lesson learned. Just look them over before loading. View attachment 469221
Call it a bonus, those plastic tips look like they're halfway to initiating bullet expansion already.

Seeknelk

WKR

View attachment 469213
No exit ,but how deep was the wound channel? Did it reach the far side at least and destroy both lungs etc? Did you go thru any bone? Thanks

fwafwow

WKR
You guys are tempting me with these shorty 22CM stories.

@TheUgly
Any chance you got some data on the 77tmk out of that 16.5”?
I had promised pages ago to share the load my buddy is getting with his custom 22CM (loads also from the gunsmith) - 80gr Berger VLD, 41.0gr RL 23, Nosler 6.5 case and OBL 2.050. I've asked about velocity but haven't received an answer. The barrel is not short, but I don't yet know the length.