223 69g TMK: best powder

Unckebob

WKR
I bought a Tikka 223. I managed to get a couple boxes of 69g TMK bullets to load up.

While I will do more testing after the season, I want to test one powder in one range session in hopes of getting decent velocity and accuracy (Moment of Deer at <250 yds). I don't have the time to do much testing this fall.

If I get a load I trust, I might take it hunting this year. Otherwise, I'll keep the gun home this year.

I have three powders that are in the load data I have: CFE, Varget and TAC.

Plan:
5 shot ladder/safety test. Assuming the pressure is fine, I will load the following
5 shots - max charge
5 shots - max minus .02
5 shots - max minus .04
5 shots - max minus .06
5 shots - max minus .08

Yes, I could load multiple powders, but I have another rifle I will be testing. I simply will not have time at the range to take enough shots to test much. I am aiming for short term simplicity for this season.

If I don't find a load I like, I have other rifles ready to go.

KyleR1985

WKR

Given the efficiency you’re looking for, maybe try this.

Keep us posted on what you land on either way

I have been lucky with cfe223 and varget - if one doesn’t work the other always has in my rifles. I start with cfe (higher velocity) if I can’t find a load there varget always works.

CFE I never get close to max before pressure signs. I usually do .2 gr increments starting 1-1.5 grains below max. Varget I can usually get away with 0.5gr increments to find max. I load 5 of each - to start and then confirm with 10-20 more.

Varget is bulky for 69s but might shoot accurately. I'd load 25.0 grain varget and send it.

Tac could be good as well.

For generally otherwise available powders, i'd give benchmark a try. N135 is one i've not used but is another that seems about right.

Not sure what on earth you'd be looking for by loading 5 rounds each of 5 different charges within 0.08 grain spread?

jrl80

FNG
I bought a Tikka 223. I managed to get a couple boxes of 69g TMK bullets to load up.

While I will do more testing after the season, I want to test one powder in one range session in hopes of getting decent velocity and accuracy (Moment of Deer at <250 yds). I don't have the time to do much testing this fall.

If I get a load I trust, I might take it hunting this year. Otherwise, I'll keep the gun home this year.

I have three powders that are in the load data I have: CFE, Varget and TAC.

Plan:
5 shot ladder/safety test. Assuming the pressure is fine, I will load the following
5 shots - max charge
5 shots - max minus .02
5 shots - max minus .04
5 shots - max minus .06
5 shots - max minus .08

Yes, I could load multiple powders, but I have another rifle I will be testing. I simply will not have time at the range to take enough shots to test much. I am aiming for short term simplicity for this season.

If I don't find a load I like, I have other rifles ready to go.
Any of those powders will work well. Varget is a tried and true temperature stable power.