22 Mag vs 17 HMR....does anyone choose a 22 Mag anymore?

Just bought a 22mag after considering both. My main reason was I already had a pistol chambered in 22m so I could avoid needing another caliber.

I watched a lot of videos and reviews, and the 22 seems to be accurate enough for my needs.
This! PMR30 is my farm gun...it will kill a hog...always on my hip..2lbs 30rds....so naturally I picked up a A22mag. As far as ammo on my shelf....I will probably die before I shoot up my supply.

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR
This! PMR30 is my farm gun...it will kill a hog...always on my hip..2lbs 30rds....so naturally I picked up a A22mag. As far as ammo on my shelf....I will probably die before I shoot up my supply.
What are you shooting with the PMR30? I've found it's rather finicky with cycling various ammo. I've tried the 3 reccomended ones in the manual.

What are you shooting with the PMR30? I've found it's rather finicky with cycling various ammo. I've tried the 3 reccomended ones in the manual.
Cci or winchester 40gr HP..it was little picky at first but after 500 or so rounds its fine...I have more issues keeping the front site on it than anything. Make sure the mag is loaded properly...thats usually the issue. Load from the rim window not the front or before it. You have to roll them in and then slide them the rest of the way back.

OP
J
I have two .17 HMRs (CZ 452 Varming, Tikka T1x) and one .22 Mag (CZ 452 American). Have used both calibers extensively for hunting and pest control. While I enjoy using the .17 HMR, it definitely doesn't have the anchoring power of the .22 mag when using 35 grain or 40 grain bullets. On predators the 17 grain vmax bullets lack penetration and while 20 grain bullets are better, they still don't match the thump of the .22 mag. The .22 mag has a 100 ft pound energy advantage at the muzzle with superior penetration and expansion.

Attached is a photo of a coyote that I called in and shot with my CZ in .17 HMR. The coyote was hit in the boileroom at about 50 yards. When hit, it did a spin and ran about 75 yards and piled up. No exit, no blood trail, was lucky to recover. Typical result with the HMR, have also lost a couple. Using the .22 mag, they usually drop within sight if a good shot is made.

View attachment 584325
Exact same rifle I used and results, only a single experience tho. Hence the thread. Mine is supremely accurate.

I own both and for me it's just whatever I'm feeling that day or is first in line in the safe. Both will do the job as long as I do my part, im kind of partial to my 17hmr just due to the fact that it's just got some trigger work but other than that I think either will do the job.