22 Hornet for Deer

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
My 50 grain hornadys varmint sp would for sure kill a deer at close range if you shit it in the lungs. But why would you risk it.

I lost them sitting on top of 10 grains of h110
That's the thing; what I'm attempting is to create a load that won't be "risking it," but will be totally sufficient - just as we've seen that the 223/77 is fully sufficient for elk/moose/etc.

WCB

WKR
I've seen multiple deer and Antelope killed with 22 Hornets and even a couple with .17 Hornets (velocity advantage of course). 22 Hornet shooting 35 gr Vmax? and the .17 shooting 20gr Vmax. Animals basically hunch up and stand there for a few seconds and fall over. All middle of the lungs shots. I've seen a lot of deer stand longer and run longer distances with much bigger rifles. All shots were 200yds or under...most were 100yd range.

Ugliest gun known to man, it’s doesn’t count lol.
I have the Savage 25 Walking Varminter in .17 hornet painted up the stock, looks like any other rifle and I guarantee out shoots 99.9% of any custom gun guys have built on here.

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I have some progress. I picked up the Dark Mountain Arms Stowaway in 5.7. It's a really neat design, but the trigger is an adventure. So I've been hacking on my mechanicals, of course, and I have it to where it's serviceable - kind of a redneck 2-stage feel.

Anyway, mine will chamber 60 TMKs out to 1.760", though that's leaving the boat tail inside the neck - I used 1.720". So with a tiny charge of Lil-Gun (under 10 grains), I'm getting 2300+ fps out of that bullet and 16" barrel. That gives me (my kids I mean) a 200-yd expansion window and point blank range. Out of a 3-lb gun.

For us 200-yd deer hunters, when a 223 is too much (I don't need an elk gun!), this might be just right (for our kids, that is). I should be doing some terminal testing in just over a month.

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Accuracy looks good initially, but I haven't done anything official - just 50 yds with a 3x prism. Here's the little guys next to a 223 case.

Attachments

• 20240821_104705.jpg
    20240821_104705.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 20240821_104519.jpg
    20240821_104519.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 55
OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Also: a real adventurous person could probably load the 69 TMK to push 2200 fps; not sure you'd have the twist to stabilize it at that lower velocity though (the gun is 1/9, I think)...

The Guide

WKR
Accuracy looks good initially, but I haven't done anything official - just 50 yds with a 3x prism. Here's the little guys next to a 223 case.
That is a neat little rifle! I'm interested in it's return to zero after take down. If it is pretty good to the distance that the cartridge is capable of, that would be a heck of a gun for going for a walk in the woods with.

Jay

Well, I have some progress. I picked up the Dark Mountain Arms Stowaway in 5.7. It's a really neat design, but the trigger is an adventure. So I've been hacking on my mechanicals, of course, and I have it to where it's serviceable - kind of a redneck 2-stage feel.

Anyway, mine will chamber 60 TMKs out to 1.760", though that's leaving the boat tail inside the neck - I used 1.720". So with a tiny charge of Lil-Gun (under 10 grains), I'm getting 2300+ fps out of that bullet and 16" barrel. That gives me (my kids I mean) a 200-yd expansion window and point blank range. Out of a 3-lb gun.

For us 200-yd deer hunters, when a 223 is too much (I don't need an elk gun!), this might be just right (for our kids, that is). I should be doing some terminal testing in just over a month.
Awesome! I’m really considering one for fun and to get my daughter shooting (maybe even deer!) but I was concerned the trigger might be lacking.

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Oh it's a mile long pull, and I'm still not sure the best way to fix it. It's a stupid simple design, which is cool, but it needs to be addressed to make the gun shootable.
Awesome! I’m really considering one for fun and to get my daughter shooting (maybe even deer!) but I was concerned the trigger might be lacking.

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Strapped on a scope and shot at distance a little this morning. At 160 yards (my backyard range at the moment), I got several 3-shot groups at or under 1.5 MOA with both the 60 TMK as well as 55 FMJBT surplus pulled bullets. Not bad for this lil snack.

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Think that group size will hold with a larger sample?

If you don’t mind, how does the stock attach? Does it seem easily customizable?
That's the big question. I'll get some 10-shot groups soon.

The stock rod is held in place by two screws in the receiver, and one screw holding the buttplate. Looks easily removable; I don't know what else you'd find to fit in it's place though.

That's the big question. I'll get some 10-shot groups soon.

The stock rod is held in place by two screws in the receiver, and one screw holding the buttplate. Looks easily removable; I don't know what else you'd find to fit in it's place though.
Thanks! I was wondering with adding a lighter and/or shorter rod in mind.

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
10 shot groups with 3 different loads are running 3-4 MOA at 160 yds. So a little worse than I would have hoped, probably limiting this to a 150 yd deer gun. Slightly disappointing, but I still look forward to trying it out this fall.

Think that group size will hold with a larger sample?

If you don’t mind, how does the stock attach? Does it seem easily customizable?

Last edited:

The Guide

WKR
10 shot groups with 3 different loads are running 5-7 MOA at 160 yds. So a little worse than I would have hoped, probably limiting this to a 150 yd deer gun. Slightly disappointing, but I still look forward to trying it out this fall.
Bummer. I could handle a 3 MOA group at that distance but what you are seeing is a little over acceptable. Wonder if it is hold sensitive due to the design? Does it flex at all?

Jay

OP
PistolPete

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry, corrected to 3-4 MOA at that distance. My mistake.

No flex, it all seems tight.

Bummer. I could handle a 3 MOA group at that distance but what you are seeing is a little over acceptable. Wonder if it is hold sensitive due to the design? Does it flex at all?

Jay

Bubbadoyle

Lil-Rokslider
Head or spine shot only.

Not required. I’ve seen 20-30 deer shot with a 22 hornet with well placed lung shots that resulted in efficient kills. They seem to run about the same distance as deer I’ve shot through the lungs with various other calibers up to magnum cartridges. I’d be looking to keep shots under 200 yards but preferably under 150. I have a contender 22 k hornet I’m considering using for late season doe hunting in Wisconsin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro