.22 GT

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Why the GT over the CM case? Genuinely curious. Thanks.

OP
H

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
Why the GT over the CM case? Genuinely curious. Thanks.
Initially, as stated by wind gypsy, I was hoping for near Creedmoor performance with better barrel life. It does provide that. However, now that the .22 Creedmoor is a SAAMI cartridge with available factory ammo, when I rebarrel my GTs, I might go with the .22 Creedmoor. Already have 100 rounds of Alpha brass on the shelf…

I will say this though. I like PMags for their smooth, non-marring feeding. The .22 GT feeds better out of a PMag than any cartridge I have ever used. My ‘smith, Jon Beanland, tells me his .22 Creedmoors don’t feed nearly as well from AI type mags as his .22GTs. That might make me stick with the .22GT, plus I already have dies and brass.

John

Initially, as stated by wind gypsy, I was hoping for near Creedmoor performance with better barrel life. It does provide that. However, now that the .22 Creedmoor is a SAAMI cartridge with available factory ammo, when I rebarrel my GTs, I might go with the .22 Creedmoor. Already have 100 rounds of Alpha brass on the shelf…

I will say this though. I like PMags for their smooth, non-marring feeding. The .22 GT feeds better out of a PMag than any cartridge I have ever used. My ‘smith, Jon Beanland, tells me his .22 Creedmoors don’t feed nearly as well from AI type mags as his .22GTs. That might make me stick with the .22GT, plus I already have dies and brass.

John

Odd. Because you hear lots more about problems with 6 GT feeding woes compared to 6 or 6.5 creedmoor feeding issues from AI 308 mags.

Juan_ID

WKR
Odd. Because you hear lots more about problems with 6 GT feeding woes compared to 6 or 6.5 creedmoor feeding issues from AI 308 mags.
I’m new to the GT’s but I can say the only time I’ve had issues with mine is when I’ve taken standard 10rd 308 aics mags and loaded 10 rounds in them. The rounds are too short and cause the first 2 rounds to nose dive and jam up. Other than that it has fed 100% from tikka “m” mags and mdt 3rd 308 poly mag.

I’m new to the GT’s but I can say the only time I’ve had issues with mine is when I’ve taken standard 10rd 308 aics mags and loaded 10 rounds in them. The rounds are too short and cause the first 2 rounds to nose dive and jam up. Other than that it has fed 100% from tikka “m” mags and mdt 3rd 308 poly mag.

When feeding 6GT from MDT 10 round 308 magazines, I had constant nose diving issues irrespective of how many rounds were in the magazine. I redneck modded a spacer at the back of the mag like a Dasher conversion and it would feed much better. But in the end I gave up as I didnt feel like it was worth the effort.

Full length cartridges like the 6 Creed and 6XC fed fine for me in the same rifle, from the same magazines.

Juan_ID

WKR
When feeding 6GT from MDT 10 round 308 magazines, I had constant nose diving issues irrespective of how many rounds were in the magazine. I redneck modded a spacer at the back of the mag like a Dasher conversion and it would feed much better. But in the end I gave up as I didnt feel like it was worth the effort.

Full length cartridges like the 6 Creed and 6XC fed fine for me in the same rifle, from the same magazines.
Was this with a rem700 clone? I don’t know if that matters at all but mine is a tikka t3x action but it’s been very reliable and I’d say I’ve ran at least a few hundred rounds via the 3 different mags with over 1k rounds total through the rifle.

Was this with a rem700 clone? I don’t know if that matters at all but mine is a tikka t3x action but it’s been very reliable and I’d say I’ve ran at least a few hundred rounds via the 3 different mags with over 1k rounds total through the rifle.
No, with a Tikka T3. I think the MDT magazines were the problem. This was during Covid in 2020 and it was pretty much impossible to get any other magazines in Australia at the time.

Juan_ID

WKR
No, with a Tikka T3. I think the MDT magazines were the problem. This was during Covid in 2020 and it was pretty much impossible to get any other magazines in Australia at the time.
Interesting, I currently have my GT in an xlr chassis utilizing a mdt poly 308 magazine and plan to hunt with it as is so we’ll see if any issues arise while in the field.