22 Creedmoor Custom Build - Do I Send It Back???

OP
swavescatter
Does anyone have any factor Hornady ELDM ammo they could measure (COAL)? I have some 80g ELDMs I could use to see what max COAL I can run with those is.

I’m worried that I won’t even be able to chamber factory ammo.

Lawnboi

WKR
Plenty of creedmoor barrels have been shot out by chambers that leave a lot of bullet in the case. Look at about any 6 and 6.5 creedmoor factory ammo, it’s all below the neck/shoulder junction.

Doughnuts in a 22 creedmoor barrel, that may go 1k rounds wouldn’t be something I’m worried about.

Case fill is a non issue for most powders in the 22 creed.

I’d take a hammer of a barrel that I have bullet in the case, than one that shoots okay and is throated properly. For that reason I would shoot it and see. Next barrel do some research and request a specific freebore reamer.

Kurts86

WKR
Isn’t the entire point of the creedmoor series to have a saami spec chamber to run as heavy and long of bullets as possible. If so why spec it even longer like it’s a 1960’s designed round you are hot rodding to run modern heavies?

waspocrew

WKR
Personally, I’d just shoot it and see how it does.

For OP - this seems to really have you concerned. Give the gunsmith a call and see what they can do about it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Exactly. Like throating a 300 PRC to seat bullets like a 300 Win Mag.

Not quite, saami 22 creed looks to be .081. That’s not long or optimized at all in terms of the many freebore options before it became saami. In fact none of the creedmoor cases really leave most bullets above the neck shoulder junction.