22 ARC

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
217 posts in this thread (218 with this post), 50 of those made by the same poster, many of those 50 being grade school level insults that serve no purpose.

Thankfully some of the other 167 posts have usable information.

I’ve not seen anyone insult anyone, even the group of folks carrying on like toddlers.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I agree! Folks should stay on topic.

@slickyboyboo go to the search function, select search this thread, then in the by user field enter your handle. Take a moment and reflect on the 50 plus posts that come up.

Over 20% of all the posts made in this thread are by you, and over 20% of all the posts you have ever made are in this thread.

I get feeling a compulsive need to reply, I have to fight it in myself every day. I also get that when engaged in the moment self reflection is hard, I fail on that count frequently. So, perhaps come back to the thought in a few weeks.

@fngTony sorry, I'll stop making your life harder in this thread.

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider
@slickyboyboo go to the search function, select search this thread, then in the by user field enter your handle. Take a moment and reflect on the 50 plus posts that come up.

Over 20% of all the posts made in this thread are by you, and over 20% of all the posts you have ever made are in this thread.

I get feeling a compulsive need to reply, I have to fight it in myself every day. I also get that when engaged in the moment self reflection is hard, I fail on that count frequently. So, perhaps come back to the thought in a few weeks.

@fngTony sorry, I'll stop making your life harder in this thread.

Na, I’m good. I’m about done with the thread anyway. The grade schoolers in here are ridiculous.

Big_wals

WKR
Brownells has Faxon complete uppers in 22 arc on sale for $495 right now…. I literally just bought another upper in 223 wylde two weeks ago. Kinda wish I had seen this first.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What a waste of space with the stupid comments.

Back to the topic - has anyone done a 16” 22 ARC yet? I and curious if it’s 20 or 30fps per inch loss.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
What a waste of space with the stupid comments.

Back to the topic - has anyone done a 16” 22 ARC yet? I and curious if it’s 20 or 30fps per inch loss.
Interested as well. 223 vs 22 ARC vs 22 creed/22-250 is my question. Thinking due to bolt face in bolt rifles the ARC is out, but hoping to find a good reason to change my mind.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Interested as well. 223 vs 22 ARC vs 22 creed/22-250 is my question. Thinking due to bolt face in bolt rifles the ARC is out, but hoping to find a good reason to change my mind.
I personally don’t see the point of the ARC in a bolt gun, just an AR. There are so many choices in the bolt gun world that will outperform the ARC… not to mention the non-std bolt face as you mentioned.

If building a bolt just do the 22CM.

The Guide

WKR
I personally don’t see the point of the ARC in a bolt gun, just an AR. There are so many choices in the bolt gun world that will outperform the ARC… not to mention the non-std bolt face as you mentioned.

If building a bolt just do the 22CM.
In that same line of thought, what is your opinion on the 6 ARC in a bolt or a Grendel in a bolt? I have multiple bolt action rifles chambered both of those cartridges and they are a pleasure to shoot and carry.

Grendel ammo can be had for $0.75/each and 6 ARC for just over $1.00, and 22 ARC for $1.25. Factory 22CM is $2.45+ if you can find it in stock. Sure, you can spend $300+ to get brass, primers, powder, bullets, and dies before you shoot a single shot or you could shoot 300 rounds before you start reloading your own fire formed brass. Honestly, 300 rounds is a lifetime of shooting for most people.

Jay

z987k

WKR
In that same line of thought, what is your opinion on the 6 ARC in a bolt or a Grendel in a bolt? I have multiple bolt action rifles chambered both of those cartridges and they are a pleasure to shoot and carry.

Grendel ammo can be had for $0.75/each and 6 ARC for just over $1.00, and 22 ARC for $1.25. Factory 22CM is $2.45+ if you can find it in stock. Sure, you can spend $300+ to get brass, primers, powder, bullets, and dies before you shoot a single shot or you could shoot 300 rounds before you start reloading your own fire formed brass. Honestly, 300 rounds is a lifetime of shooting for most people.

Jay
The only reason I'd do an arc on a bolt gun is if a mini action and weight really mattered.
Otherwise do the Creedmoor and load it down to match the arc or get full performance.

khuber84

WKR
I feel the if you want a short stubby bolt gun round, the 22 and 6 BR(or improved variants) are the way to go, unless barrel life is your #1 priority, then it's just 6arc.

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved

Jay
Like the poster above said, if one was to build an ARC ( or any AR15 sized cartridge) in a mini howa with carbon stock and and short carbon barrel for an ultra light weight rig, I can see that. However, I can also build an ultralight AR system using magnesium, carbon, and Ti components around a low mass operating system and probably still be lighter or at least comparable to a Howa while retaining semi-auto for faster follow ups.

Obviously this is just my opinion but I come from the AR world. The point of bolt guns for me is to step into a different class of cartridge. If I don’t need that, I’ll use an AR, which is what I do.

I am not disagreeing with you that 300 rounds may be a lifetime of shooting for most hunters, but I see that as a problem and don’t subscribe to that mindset at all. 300 rounds is nothing. It’s impossible for one to be an expert with a rifle if 300 rounds lasts a lifetime.

Moreover, the cost difference between the ARC and let’s say a Creed to stay consistent, shouldn’t be a factor if one is to prioritize their spending. For example, a hunter could forgo the latest Sitka head band for $300 and instead spend that on ammo and then train… I am NOT insinuating “you”, I am literally speaking in generalities regarding too many hunters, including some in my own hunting circle (the latter is really frustrating to me).

Back on topic, what I like about the 22ARC is it is not a wildcat; I have/have done many AR based wildcats over the years to get the performance I wanted and with the volume of shooting I do, it becomes a hassle to be solely loading bench dependent.

The last two seasons I have used a light weight AR build in 25x6.8, which is a 6.8SPC case necked down to .257 cal. My primary load is a 85gr BT @3k fps out of a suppressed 18”. But like I mentioned above, being load bench dependent sucks. The 22 ARC with 80 or 88’s while slower out of the gate, stomps the .257 class bullets that fit within mag length constraints over distance and would be my focus for “big” game. Moreover, the 22ARC with the 62 ELD-VT would be excellent for predators. Plus I could use my smaller 22 bore cans.

I was always aware of the 22 Grendel, but had so many other wildcat projects I never got into it. Now that the 22 ARC is SAAMI’ed, it will replace: 25-223, 6mm Mongoose, 6x6.8 and 25x6.8 in my line up.

Thinking due to bolt face in bolt rifles the ARC is out, but hoping to find a good reason to change my mind.
Ruger makes the American in the ARC. It's not all about outperforming the creed. If a guy uses that 'outperfoming' argument, nobody would still be using a 223......

IMG_1531.JPEG

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Ruger makes the American in the ARC. It's not all about outperforming the creed. If a guy uses that 'outperfoming' argument, nobody would still be using a 223......

IMG_1531.JPEG
The 22 ARC for me would be a out lower recoil than a 22 Creedmoor while still being able to use the higher BC 224 bullets without as much fiddling around, which so far I've decided is not worth it and a 77 TMK is good enough for my own 223 use.

I will probably end up sticking with a 223 for them, but it is fun to look around.

OP
wind gypsy
I feel the if you want a short stubby bolt gun round, the 22 and 6 BR(or improved variants) are the way to go, unless barrel life is your #1 priority, then it's just 6arc.
Agree, unless factory ammo and use in an AR are a priority.

turbo406

FNG
Has anyone used the new alpha 6 arc brass in a 22 arc and pushed the limits in a bolt gun yet? Or is my impression that the new alpha brass won't hold the spicier loads better? Making me wish I didn't just finish a 6 arc build now

khuber84

WKR
Has anyone used the new alpha 6 arc brass in a 22 arc and pushed the limits in a bolt gun yet? Or is my impression that the new alpha brass won't hold the spicier loads better? Making me wish I didn't just finish a 6 arc build now
Alpha will hold all the psi in the world without flexing. That's part the problem. Lower portion of case doesn't expand enough to grip the chamber to prevent bolt thrust and lengthwise expansion. This causes over headspacing, and bolt lift. The OCD tech is too good of a thing in the short body cases. Alpha will be running 22arc brass this year and I'll get some to try. It may be beneficial in a bolt gun. But with the notable % reduction is case capacity VS Hornady, I bet it gives no improvements in performance at AR psi levels.

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
20” Ruger Gen 2 testing

80gr eld-m
Hornady 1x
Cci450
Varget
28.5g (mild)
2930fps

100 yards 5shots
IMG_6669.jpeg

750yds 5shots .87Moa/6.6”
Far left was the sighter to get on the plate
IMG_6680.jpeg

750yds 10shots vertical was .81Moa/6.4”
IMG_6670.jpeg

995yds 3shots .56Moa/5.6”
Top left shot was the sighter to get on the plate
IMG_6681.jpeg

5shots at 1308yds .67Moa/9.3”
IMG_6685.jpeg

ACHILLES

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been comparing the 80gr elds in my 223,22arc,and 22CM. Aside from bolt face the arc has a lot going for it.

If your a reloader you can go 22br it’s pretty much the same performance on a .473 bolt