22" 7 PRC w/ 9" suppressor or 26" w/ earplugs

7PRC 22" suppressed or 26" unsuppressed?

• 22" with 9" suppressor

Votes: 30 93.8%
  • 26" with ear plugs

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

sdx

FNG
What would you pick? Mostly for elk and deer hunting. I have a Thunderbeast 30P-1 which is 9 inches long and weighs 16 ounces. I go back and forth trying to decide. I like the extra velocity with 26" and lighter weight, but suppressed is just more fun to shoot and no need to worry about ear plugs in the heat of the moment if stuff happens fast.

I should clarify I like higher velocity because I will be shooting all copper bullets. Also, out west where I hunt it's fairly open and I don't think the extra length will be too much of a problem. Also, the 30-P1 is only rated to 22" with magnums.

Last edited:
a 31 inch long barrel...nah, I would go for the 26" and ear plugs...when you need them. I use Walker electronic muffs when I'm hunting....always ready. Plus, they help me hear things I might not otherwise. I wouldnt worry about a loss of velocity, the 7PRC has plenty. Mine is 22" plus a 2" brake. Anything with a 31" barrel is going to be a pain in the ass to carry. Cut that barrel to 18".

bpctcb

WKR
I’m building a 7mm PRC on a Ruckus action w/ 22” to run w/ Silencerco Omega 300.
You bought the suppressor to use…go 22”.

BP

I bought a 26” Rem700 Long Range and long story short if I keep it I will chop/thread.

My can is 6.5” (Nomad Ti) and while I have never heard a longer can I have no desire to go longer.

EcoastDG

FNG
I have a 22 inch 7 PRC that I shoot suppressed. Yesterday I shot both the 7 PRC and my 26 inch braked 300 Win Mag. After shooting the 300 Win in a covered range a few times I was happy to go back to shooting the suppressed rifle.

Reactions: sdx

MThuntr

WKR
Suppressor and hearing protection. Suppressors don't make things as quiet as we'd hope especially with big boomstick

Syncerus1

FNG
Can anyone address the legality of taking your suppressed gun to various states (western, including Alaska) to hunt? I have heard horror stories with TSA and airlines.

Can anyone address the legality of taking your suppressed gun to various states (western, including Alaska) to hunt? I have heard horror stories with TSA and airlines.
Should probably start your own thread on that so the OPs thread can stay on topic.

My 7PRC has a 20" barrel. I had a 7" suppressor on it and would not want to have a longer setup. I would go to 18" with a 9" can.

I have never had any issues. I take things I read on the internet regarding suppressors and airlines with a grain of salt. A lot of Fudds out there posting up misinformation just to troll because they don’t like cans.

As long as the state you are traveling to allows their use, you are fine. I also avoid connecting in New York, New Jersey, and Illinois. You never know when those Nazis are going to change their “rules”.

tjend

FNG
Suppressed all day and 20" barrel. I'd imagine some airlines/Airports might work better than others as long as your not going through IL or CA on connecting flights. Horror stories could also be due to noncompliance in protocol.

I've had no issue at all flying with suppressors. 99% of common knowledge about suppressors is fuddlore nonsense. A hefty chunk of hunters think that when you own a suppressor the ATF can legally barge into your house and violate your constitutional rights. For flying purposes, your suppressors are just firearms.

As for the OP, I'm surprised you're even willing to shoot unsuppressed at all. I'd cut that barrel without a second thought to get it suppressor-ready.