2024 Technique Improvement Thread

tdoublev

FNG
With the weather warming up, daylight getting longer, distances stretching out, and 3D shoots ramping up, curious to hear what everyone is focusing on improving in their technique this year. We can discuss the gear and equipment nuances until end of time, but I think we can all benefit from hearing the small things that others might be working to improve this training season.

For me, I’m working on my front shoulder and thumb placement on my handheld release. Been getting into a tendency to let the shoulder creep towards my back (opposite of low and ‘forward’) with fatigue and inconsistent thumb pressure when pulling through my shot. The shot goes off a lot more smoothly when I get the proper amount of thumb on the barrel, but mine is set pretty hot so I always get weary of setting it off when getting the thumb in position

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I've basically been working on my shot process as well.
I was a command shooter for a lot of years and sometimes I creep back into that, I catch myself sending the shot rather than letting it surprise me. I just spent a session last night working on setting up a new release (one with travel adjustment) so that I could set my finger on it (I still like an index release over the others) and really feel the knurls on the peg, then pull until the shot goes off. Mine was a little hot at first too, it would go off sometimes as I was settling my finger on the peg. It is a fine line for me to get it so that I can have it cold enough that it doesn't go off before I really start pulling, yet not so cold that my shot doesn't go off in a timely manner. The older I get the less time I have good pin float while holding full draw, so I tend to like my release to be a little on the hot side too.

I have a thumb button that I have messed around with over the last couple of years. While I do like it, I just seem to struggle with them as far as having a timely shot process with one. One time it may go off very timely and smoothly, and then the next time it feels like I have to pull the bow apart to get it to go off. Really messes with my shot timing and I find myself getting impatient and commanding it off by giving it a big pull back into the wall. I have finally just decided that I'm simply better with an index and haven't shot the thumb for several months now.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I think my grip will be one of the main things I focus on over the next month. I just got a new bow and am hoping to have time to do more broadhead tuning this weekend, but I’ve been noticing lately that my grip variations (obviously) effect tune/broadhead flight. With the cold bow challenge coming up I really want to solidify my ability to accurately shoot Broadheads, and establishing a repeatable, “remember-able” grip is a primary focus. I’ll usually shoot a few broadheads after some warm up shots, but I want to build more confidence in that first shot.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I think my grip will be one of the main things I focus on over the next month. I just got a new bow and am hoping to have time to do more broadhead tuning this weekend, but I’ve been noticing lately that my grip variations (obviously) effect tune/broadhead flight. With the cold bow challenge coming up I really want to solidify my ability to accurately shoot Broadheads, and establishing a repeatable, “remember-able” grip is a primary focus. I’ll usually shoot a few broadheads after some warm up shots, but I want to build more confidence in that first shot.
I saw a tip from Tim Gillingham, I have not tried it myself yet. But he said he puts a small piece of textured tape (something he can easily feel, such as non slip material that is sticky on one side) on the front of the bow, in a spot where the tip of his index finger just touches the front of the riser. This allows him to tell right away if his grip isn't quite right. Sounded like a decent idea to me.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
I saw a tip from Tim Gillingham, I have not tried it myself yet. But he said he puts a small piece of textured tape (something he can easily feel, such as non slip material that is sticky on one side) on the front of the bow, in a spot where the tip of his index finger just touches the front of the riser. This allows him to tell right away if his grip isn't quite right. Sounded like a decent idea to me.
I’ve thought about doing this. I just switched bows so I’m still adjusting my grip, but once I’ve got that figured out I may try adding a reference point. Usually once I have the angle and palm position down, my fingers end up being pretty consistent.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I found a Stan perfex long neck resistance release online and got it to to help me pull through my shot better I already had 2 Stan perfex long necks thumb releases so my point of impact and my anchor are the same. I have the UV hinge 2 but I have to set my bows up differently for that release and I like to switch between them. But I’m just working on my shot this summer went to my club and shot a round of 3D with the resistance release then a round with the thumb button and the resistance release gave the best score I’ve had there so far. I will say I can’t shoot as much with the resistance release but it sure will humble you and let you know when to let down or when that front shoulder is coming up…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trad bow is where I put my main efforts but it all carries over directly when it's time to shoot my compound. Lately I've been working on really getting my bow arm and shoulders driving in a line to the target, with a strong finish position after the shot.

Trad specific, but I've also been really intentional about not punching the "trigger" with my shot. Staying in good alignment and letting that finish position focus build back tension till the shot goes off.