2024 Tacoma- anyone bought one, drove one—thoughts?

CorbLand

WKR
Are turbos on gas engines a weaker link than diesels? I put 400k miles on two different Dodge Cummins without any turbo issues, and don’t really recall hearing of that being a problem.

My daughter had a Volvo XC70 that she sold with 210k on the clock and no turbo issues.
I dont follow diesels much. Never had the need for one.

My experience with turbos mostly comes from sleds, SXS and cars built to go fast so there is probably a difference in the way I view them. They just never lasted from what I have seen and dealt with. The newer ones could be different but I shied away from them due to past experiences.

I was doing the new pickup debate for about 4 months recently and spoke with many mechanics about them. I was looking at F150, Rangers, Colorados and Tacomas. Three different mechanics in the same day all told me "if you go with the Ford, start saving for new turbos because you will need them around 150K." One of those said he would trust Toyota turbos over Ford...so there is that.

I am not against them but I wouldnt want to beta test the new Tacoma. Glad there are people that will and do though.

Randy11

Lil-Rokslider
I know RS loves Toyota, but you should at least take a look at the Frontiers. I have had mine for 6 months, and really like it. The Pro4X isn't as off road ready as the top Tacoma trims, but it is a solid truck. with a v6 and a proven transmission. The only downside I have so far is there is not nearly as much after market parts and upgrades.

My 2022 is starting to give me issues, and the dealership in Missoula is an absolute joke. I'm starting to regret not just sticking with Toyota.

tony

WKR
I am interested in the new Tacoma as it is the last of a dying breed.

It still offers a manual transmission

I'll give it a few years to get the bugs worked out. I'd like the off road with a manual and the front sway disconnect.
I've read the mileage is still so so compared to other 4 cyl. motors. I'd prefer to see real owners that have drove them at least a year.

With that, my 2021 Ford Ranger has been a fantastic truck. I did have one fluke issue with a broken wire in the steering column causing the truck to shut down. Other than that I have 50 k and it has been trouble free.
Mileage average is 23 mpg, a ton of power out of the 2.3 ecoboost, rated to tow 7500 pounds.
For some reason Ford must hate this truck because there is no advertising for it. You don't just really don't see rangers on the road.
West Virginia DNR has added a few Ranger to the fleet. DNR guy in my county has one.
I know the post is about the Tacoma. But, you want a decent little truck at a reasonable price now check out the Ranger

Bcleck90

WKR
The 4Runners I’ve owned and been in have tiny backseats as well. I can’t imagine the crew cab Tacoma being smaller than the 4R back there

I don’t know the exact measurements between the two but I have a 2018 Tacoma and my girlfriend has a 2022 4Runner. There’s a noticeable difference in how much bigger the 4Runner feels in the cab.

@mtwarden this is the last year (I think) for the 4.0 V6 in the 4Runner. If you’re not dead set on a truck that may be a good option.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider

I'll give it a few years to get the bugs worked out. I'd like the off road with a manual and the front sway disconnect.
I've read the mileage is still so so compared to other 4 cyl. motors. I'd prefer to see real owners that have drove them at least a year.

With that, my 2021 Ford Ranger has been a fantastic truck. I did have one fluke issue with a broken wire in the steering column causing the truck to shut down. Other than that I have 50 k and it has been trouble free.
Mileage average is 23 mpg, a ton of power out of the 2.3 ecoboost, rated to tow 7500 pounds.
For some reason Ford must hate this truck because there is no advertising for it. You don't just really don't see rangers on the road.
West Virginia DNR has added a few Ranger to the fleet. DNR guy in my county has one.
I know the post is about the Tacoma. But, you want a decent little truck at a reasonable price now check out the Ranger
Where you from in WV?

Rich M

WKR
I have a 2021, bit of a squeeze for dad or i to get into front seats. 5-10 265#. Can bonk head if not careful. Old man sits into truck, then turns to put legs in.

I don’t like the blocky look of the 2024 tacomas. My wife has a 2020 and I have a 1996 tacoma. I drive mine everywhere, even on long trips. I’ve got 330k miles on it and it’s still going.

Bluefish

WKR

I got a 21’ as it was one of only two trucks left that are available in a manual, jeep gladiator is the other. After owning a 01 taco I swore I wouldn’t ever get another one. That one was awful suspension, too soft springs and too much damping. Wallowed with a pad and harsh as heck on bumps.

The 21 rides far better than the 01 and I really like the manual. I figure this will be my last manual transmission vehicle as I don’t think they will be available when this truck needs replaced. Down side of the 21 seems to be rust resistance. Already getting rust spots on the rear leaf springs.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t like the blocky look of the 2024 tacomas.
Agreed. However, one thing I've noticed, given a few years my aesthetic objections usually simmer down and what was unacceptable starts to look ok.

My 2014 replaced a 2000 Tacoma. I'm in the same boat as @mtwarden ie, thinking of getting the new Tacoma in a couple years. Aside, one friend has a 2001 Tacoma with over 500K on it. Everything essentially original, and compression still good. Crazy how great the 1st Gen Taco's are.

Now if Toyota could figure out how to get decent gas mileage in a Tacoma, or offer a hybrid 4x4...

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know the exact measurements between the two but I have a 2018 Tacoma and my girlfriend has a 2022 4Runner. There’s a noticeable difference in how much bigger the 4Runner feels in the cab.

@mtwarden this is the last year (I think) for the 4.0 V6 in the 4Runner. If you’re not dead set on a truck that may be a good option.

Is the 4Runner going to the 4cyl/turbo as well?

I like the looks of the 4Runner, but having a bed definitely comes in handy.

When I got my 12 there wasn’t a white double cab MT in the country, had to order it. Sad to see vehicles go away from MTs-I’ve never owned an automatic (had a couple as work trucks, came in handy opening gates, but other than that I would have gladly had a manual).

If/when I get a new one, I’ll splurge on the sway bar disconnect. Buddy has a Rubicon- great feature.

CorbLand

WKR
Is the 4Runner going to the 4cyl/turbo as well?

I like the looks of the 4Runner, but having a bed definitely comes in handy.

When I got my 12 there wasn’t a white double cab MT in the country, had to order it. Sad to see vehicles go away from MTs-I’ve never owned an automatic (had a couple as work trucks, came in handy opening gates, but other than that I would have gladly had a manual).

If/when I get a new one, I’ll splurge on the sway bar disconnect. Buddy has a Rubicon- great feature.
Yes, the 2025 4R are going to be a 4 cylinder turbo. Believe they are stealing the motor from Lexus.

Last edited:

bnewt3

Lil-Rokslider
"Long in the tooth" and Toyota don't really go together. Not sure what would cause you to say that. I have an 08 4runner with 273k, aside from the paint I cant imagine it being in better shape.

I am all for people doing what they want with their money, but I would encourage you to really think if you have any good reason to spend money on a new truck. How about more outdoor stuff instead? Bucket list trip?

I had a '12 access cab/4cyl up until July of last year. It was a bare bones, former fleet truck. It had just turned over 200k on the clock. I knew I wanted a new Tacoma, but really wanted to wait a couple of years. Then I realized they were doing a complete revamp and decided to pull the trigger on a '23 TRD crew cab short bed. I've been driving Toyota trucks since about 1990, so I knew what I was getting into. Honestly, other than the squeaks and rattles of a truck that spent a fair amount of time on crappy logging roads, the '23 isn't much different than the '12 was.

Bluefish

WKR
While this is completely a first world problem, Toyota is way behind on electronics for the Tacoma. Not sure if the new ones are better, but my 21 doesn’t have keyless entry or the blue tooth bandwidth to support CarPlay. In todays market I expect both of those things in a new vehicle.

CorbLand

WKR
While this is completely a first world problem, Toyota is way behind on electronics for the Tacoma. Not sure if the new ones are better, but my 21 doesn’t have keyless entry or the blue tooth bandwidth to support CarPlay. In todays market I expect both of those things in a new vehicle.
What model do you have? My 2017 Off Road has both of those.

I’ve had the 2nd gen 200k, sold, bought a 3rd gen, 106k now and hope for another 100k issue free. I preferred the motor on the 2nd gen for mountains, etc, but the new one on the flat.

Also have a loaded 2021 4Runner 12k in it, and I’ve never liked it from day one. It’s a s dog to drive.

I saw the new ones. Looks a bit ugly. But I’d give it a run in a couple years, but my last truck will most likely be a tundra.