2024 Tacoma- anyone bought one, drove one—thoughts?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just bought an Off Road over the weekend. Had been toying with the idea of a 23 due to the V6 vs V4, but for a few grand more I could have a brand new truck. The transmission on my wife's RAV going out also accelerated the decision making process.

Drove her about 550 miles home and love it so far. I had a CX5 prior to this, which is also a 4 cylinder and it definitely has more pep to it than the CX5.
Does Toyota have a V configuration 4 cylinder motor now?!?!? That sounds wild.

Pokerface

FNG
Went last week with a buddy who was hoping to replace his ram with a Tacoma. With both of us over 6’ it was very cramped. As the Tacoma’s has always been. He was hoping the new geometry improved that but it did not. New tundra for him.
This is what I was wondering about , nice trucks but tough on a the big and tall crowd.... Joe

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought a 23 for my son and drive it quite a bit. I like it pretty well but hoped the 24 would have more room in the back. A small adult can barely fit in the back seat. I will stick with my F150.

575 ELK

FNG
I’ve got a 2021 F350 with a 6.7 powerstroke and the wife has a 22 Tacoma. At 6’ 2” the Tacoma is tight to squeeze into and the F350 gets as good fuel mileage as the Tacoma does. The Tacoma is a handy little grocery getter and two track hunting truck but I’d never go on a trip with it.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Serious question: why buy a Tacoma if you're only going ~100k?

Not this year definitely, but possibly a year maybe two (2025/26). We're going to be doing a fair bit of traveling in the relatively near future, just the peace of mind with a new vehicle over one that will be 13-14 years old.

CorbLand

WKR
Not this year definitely, but possibly a year maybe two (2025/26). We're going to be doing a fair bit of traveling in the relatively near future, just the peace of mind with a new vehicle over one that will be 13-14 years old.
Time will tell with the motors in Tacomas and I hope they work out.

One thing I would be concerned with going to the new model and doing a fair bit of traveling is they are using turbos and turbos are the weak link. If they go, your dead in the water. I would probably start looking for a new/used 2023 if you can find one.

I dont trust turbos though. I want them to work. I am hopeful they do but they havent proven themselves yet.

I just bought a 24 Tundra from lithia in Missoula at the first of the year. I love it. My son in law has a 23 Tacoma and his mileage isnt that much greater than mine. My gas mileage has been great as I drive like an old man. I looked and I think the Tundras have even gone down in price a bit and 3.99 percent interest is good. I got 4.99. They have a TRD double cab Tundra for under fifty thousand. If you want the bigger back seat and shorter box this would not work. I just bought the SR5 because I only wanted heated seats, auto start, bedliner, and back up camera (all have back up camera). The platinums and others are pricey and the haveca ton of them. But to me for a little more cash and little less gas mileage the size and power of the Tundra was worth it. Good luck.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Went last week with a buddy who was hoping to replace his ram with a Tacoma. With both of us over 6’ it was very cramped. As the Tacoma’s has always been. He was hoping the new geometry improved that but it did not. New tundra for him.
I've always wondered why they made the interiors so small and tight on the Tacoma's. My '89 4x4 xtracab pickup has plenty of room for two full size adults, and works great even for me at 6'6". That's the only thing that's ever kept me from getting a Tacoma. I ended up getting a '16 Tundra, but if or when I ever need to replace my '89.....I have no idea what I would go with for a small 4x4.

Not trying to be argumentative...but I wonder if a newer vehicle would actually get you the reliability you're after. The 4.0L V6 1GR-FE engine is about as reliable as one can be made.

I think I'd rather take my pickup with 400k on a road trip than one with 0k. Obviously there is a world of in between...a pickup you've driven for 30k without issue would be trusted, in my mind. Before that I would be worried about a latent manufacturing defect popping up.

Time will tell with the motors in Tacomas and I hope they work out.

One thing I would be concerned with going to the new model and doing a fair bit of traveling is they are using turbos and turbos are the weak link. If they go, your dead in the water. I would probably start looking for a new/used 2023 if you can find one.

I dont trust turbos though. I want them to work. I am hopeful they do but they havent proven themselves yet.
Are turbos on gas engines a weaker link than diesels? I put 400k miles on two different Dodge Cummins without any turbo issues, and don’t really recall hearing of that being a problem.

My daughter had a Volvo XC70 that she sold with 210k on the clock and no turbo issues.

TxLite

WKR
There’s still not room in the back for adults in a $50k truck. Bought a 23’ 4Runner instead
The 4Runners I’ve owned and been in have tiny backseats as well. I can’t imagine the crew cab Tacoma being smaller than the 4R back there